Wet Bed - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #11

Re: Wet Bed

Sealing the particle board is a good idea, but be certain the finish has plenty of time to "dry" and out-gas. It will be giving off volatile organic fumes for quite a while after you apply the finish, and I for one don't want to breathe too much of that. I gave up sniffing glue many years ago.

Having read this thread, I'm going to seal those vulnerable surfaces with a good marine polyurethane finish. My criteria for "dry" is when I can put my nose against the finish and *not* smell any solvents. That usually takes at least a week, but I killed enough brain cells in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Dave

Old 03-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Thank you all for your suggestions and observations! At least I know we're not alone in this struggle. If I had been on the trip I think I could have kept a better eye on the situation...

Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryls
Thank you all for your suggestions and observations! At least I know we're not alone in this struggle. If I had been on the trip I think I could have kept a better eye on the situation...
....had you been along, it would have been sunny and dry the whole time.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryls
Hi: cheryls...If you had been on the trip...the "Fish" wouldn't have been as BIG either!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300

Coming from tenting, we did not heat Homelet at night at first. We found we had mucho condensation on the walls as a result. Now we only camp in cool/cold weather with electrical service so we can run our space heater at night leaving the MaxxAir vent and the window under the open gravel guard open slightly.

With the heat running, the heater has a thermostat and cycles on and off, the condensation problem seems to be solved. The warm air naturally rises out the roof vent and draws cool, fresh air in through the open window.

We had one other problem, the moisture from our bodies was traveling through the foam mattress and condensing where the mattress touched the cold fiberglass creating mildew. At first we were lifting the mattress up every morning, wiping the water off the fg, and then running the heater so it blew against the mattress to dry it.

We solved that problem by placing a plastic drop cloth from the dollar store on the top of the mattress. Actually, I think if you have vinyl sides to your cushions, place them UP not down. The vinyl should block the entrance of body moisture into the foam. Of course you then could end up with mildew stains on the top of the cushion. Keep a towel handy and wipe down all wet surfaces under the mattress. You will soon learn which ones they are.

Hope our experiences help you solve your problem.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 17B 2017

Matt, i assume you are talking about the weep holes. I wonder if it's condensation in the air space between the bellypan and under floor. If so, weep holes drain great but seem inadequate for air circulation. This sounds to me like a moist area for dryrot. With resin soaked wood, any sawed area, screw hole and drill hole would expose the non resin soaked end-grain under there in that environment. That's what i was wondering about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memobug
....I think we were actually getting some condensation down in the traps, because when I hitched up a couple of times to move things around the driveway we had a few liters run off and seep out!
...end quote
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #17

Hi: memobug...I think you have just touched on the issue of how these Escapes are built to be used. They require a drying out period between uses. These trailers aren't really designed for continous usage. The volume of air space in them isn't enough to hold the moisture output of a family, either personal, or cooking, or heating for extended periods of time!!!
We encounter problems when we push the boundarys of reasonable use. Alf
Old 03-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #18

The propane furnace does not add moisture to the air inside the trailer. The exhaust from the flame does not enter the trailer - it vents to the outside.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #19

Hi: All...Heating the air by any means on cold nights and or cold rainy days will produce moisture. That moisture will then collect on cold surfaces in the trailer requiring a drying out period. Alf
Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
The propane furnace does not add moisture to the air inside the trailer. The exhaust from the flame does not enter the trailer - it vents to the outside.
The furnace also draws air from the outside through the duct around the round chimney so no air from inside the trailer is used for combustion.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote