Wifi / Cell Boosters - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other

Old 12-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
There is another alternative for the technically-inclined. You can flash an old Linksys router with open-source firmware from dd-wrt.com and then enable the router to be used as a repeater. Then you'd only have to buy an antenna. I wonder if JefaTech is using the dd-wrt firmware.
They (Jefa tech) say that they aren't using dd-wrt firmware. That it is there own proprietary stuff. The UI is different that dd-wrt, and it seems designed to minimize the configuration steps when you hook up to a new network. But in someways I wish it was dd-wrt since I know that is still being actively maintained.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
So let me ask this question:

If I bought the JeFa 8.5 dBi Portable Omni antenna ($49.95) and the 20 ft long antenna cable ($30.60) all from JeFa Tech, could I then plug it into this old Netgear router? Assuming at the bright yellow Internet port? And I then have a boosted WiFi connection for use on the road?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg router2.jpg (141.5 KB, 30 views)

Old 12-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

If I bought the JeFa 8.5 dBi Portable Omni antenna ($49.95) and the 20 ft long antenna cable ($30.60) all from JeFa Tech, could I then plug it into this old Netgear router? Assuming at the bright yellow Internet port? And I then have a boosted WiFi connection for use on the road?
Myron, I think the yellow internet port is an ethernet connection, while the antenna cable plugs into a coax connection.

The linksys router has two antennas. My understanding is that one of these antennas is used as a reception antenna which allows the router to pick up a wifi signal that is sent from another wifi router. the other antenna is a sending antenna which is used to broadcast the signal from the linksys router to your computer / tablet / phone.

The Omni antenna and the cable only have a benefit for when you have a weak wifi signal that is hard to pick up, especially from inside the trailer where you are lower and may have other electrical interference.

I should fess up here and say that I am an old software guy, but definitely not an old networking guy. I know just enough to get myself in trouble. so take this with a grain of salt.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I agree that you probably wouldn't be able to plug an external antenna into the Ethernet port. The old Linksys router I flashed with the dd-wrt firmware has two connections for external antennas. One advantage of this firmware is that it allows the user to route both transmit and receive to one of the two antennas, which would be good for an external wifi antenna mounted outside the trailer. The dd-wrt firmware also allows you to configure the router as a router, access point, repeater, and Ethernet bridge, depending upon the model of router the firmware is installed on.

In my case I'm trying to set up an Ethernet bridge from my wifi hotspot to an Ethernet network in my house. Later I may pick up another old router to use in my trailer with an external wifi antenna, for parks that have wifi.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #25

Ah...thanks, think I get it. My old router's the wrong kind. Not knowing how these things are built, had thought maybe some creative splicing might work around that.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:

Myron, by way of explanation, the yellow Internet port on the Netgear is the WAN (external) port, and the other Ethernet ports are the LAN (Internal) ports. None of them has anything to do with an antenna, and are only data ports. The internal ports are for providing NATd (Network Address Translation) IPs which are routable only on the internal network (addresses like 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 10.10.x.x) , and the external port uses a real Internet routable IP when it's connected to an Internet link, like a cable modem. I have 3 or 4 of these in my home lab, and they work fine as routers and switches - but the antenna is internal, and you can't add an external one without taking things apart and doing some soldering.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
There is another alternative. Ccrane.com makes several wifi repeater / antenna / USB adapter combinations. I have tried their 14 DB antenna with their Versa Wifi USB adapter which works good when you want to connect directly to a PC. I have found that this combination doesn't work well if you want to also share the signal. There is software to share a signal on a PC but it doesn't seem to work well with this hardware. I will be trying their WiFi hotspeat repeater so I can more easily share the signal.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #28

Much appreciate the info. What I really want is a clean and simple (way) under-one-hundred-dollar solution.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Wifi / Cell Boosters

Quote:
Much appreciate the info. What I really want is a clean and simple (way) under-one-hundred-dollar solution.

Make your phone a hotspot and use a sleek cradle and trucker antenna. As long as you go with the older Wilson Sleek and Trucker antenna instead of the newer WeBoost, all parts should total around $125. They are still readily available. And, in places where there's a good 4G signal, you won't need the amplification provided by the cradle, and you can just turn on the hotspot feature on your phone. In this scenario, your phone takes the place of the netgear or other WiFi router.

Of course, all of this assumes a 4G phone with hotspot capability, and a decent data plan.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #30

I have noticed many use and like that Wilson antenna configuration, including my good next-door neighbor the long-range trucker.

I have no need for a cell phone, do not carry one. Rare exception is when on a big trip and Nancy needs some way to contact me using hers. Then I get a burner. Computer Email is my primary tool so the internet laptop connection is my only critical link to the world outside.

It would be nice to catch some TV shows on my lap top once in a while. These two items interest me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wireless2.jpg (10.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Wireless3.jpg (35.9 KB, 29 views)