Wifi / Cell Boosters - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other

Old 06-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #81

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I prefer a permanently mounted antenna since i use it every day, sometimes while driving (I use WiFi to connect my AT&T iPhone to a Verizon jetpack for data when I'm driving in a non AT&T area). The real reason I switched to the WirEng antenna was that it didn't need a ground plane, and was smooth enough that I could leave it on the trailer when I covered it for the winter.
Jon,

I took a look at your blog to see where you placed your antenna. In the photo highlighting your new tow vehicle I see the WirEng antenna mount high up on the drivers side. My original intent was to pole mount the antenna and from the photos of the device online it appears that is the type of mount that is supplied. How did you attach it to the side of the trailer? Do you have any photos showing a closer view of the mounting? Thanks.

stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #82

Trailer: on order 2017 17B Sept 2016
Okay I see what you did, sorry I misunderstood. Trying to visualize without seeing the camper.. Thanks for sending photo, makes it easier to understand!! Appreciate you help!

nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:10 PM   #83

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Jon,

I took a look at your blog to see where you placed your antenna. In the photo highlighting your new tow vehicle I see the WirEng antenna mount high up on the drivers side. My original intent was to pole mount the antenna and from the photos of the device online it appears that is the type of mount that is supplied. How did you attach it to the side of the trailer? Do you have any photos showing a closer view of the mounting? Thanks.
The pole mount does have the advantage that it provides extra height, but unless it is permanently attached, makes it impossible to use while traveling.

The stock mounting bracket is stainless steel, and permanently attached to the base of the antenna. I left off the "U" bolt that comes with it (normally used to attach it to a mast, and bolted it to the side of the trailer. (Sorry Glenn - but I do make holes in the trailer!)

The fitting used as a feed through is a Nylon Cable Gland (although maybe not the same size as I linked to). In any case, I chose one large enough for the connector to fit through & filled the space around the coax with electrician's putty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _JRV2417.jpg (65.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #84

Quote:
The pole mount does have the advantage that it provides extra height, but unless it is permanently attached, makes it impossible to use while traveling.

The stock mounting bracket is stainless steel, and permanently attached to the base of the antenna. I left off the "U" bolt that comes with it (normally used to attach it to a mast, and bolted it to the side of the trailer. (Sorry Glenn - but I do make holes in the trailer!)

The fitting used as a feed through is a Nylon Cable Gland (although maybe not the same size as I linked to). In any case, I chose one large enough for the connector to fit through & filled the space around the coax with electrician's putty.
Only attached to the fiberglass shell with some flat washers and nuts or is there some reinforcement added?
Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Only attached to the fiberglass shell with some flat washers and nuts or is there some reinforcement added?
I used stainless steel fender washers inside the trailer to spread out the pressure on the fiberglass.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #86

Did you use this cable from Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I talked to Wilson and they said I would need an adapter to connect to the weboost cradle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 06-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #87

While it appears that this is the correct cable, I used the one that came with the WirEng antenna. I don't remember if I needed an adapter at the Sleek, but mine may be different from the newer WeBoost. In any case, the adapters are available from Amazon or Wilson.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #88

The listing from Amazon I sent you doesn't come with the cable and can't find any other listing on Amazon with one.
I found these at a different site. Which one do you have, the 50? It comes with the cable at this site.
Bta-50-ohm Wireng Boatant Marine Fully Enclosed Antenna Amplifiers Boosters Repeaters Modems 705688761792
this is the cable it comes with
https://www.amazon.com/ULL240-Coaxia...=1&*entries*=0

Does that mean you have to use with 12v electric only... was going to buy the 120v adapter
Old 06-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #89

Quote:
I used stainless steel fender washers inside the trailer to spread out the pressure on the fiberglass.
Thanks, Jon
Old 06-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwds View Post
The listing from Amazon I sent you doesn't come with the cable and can't find any other listing on Amazon with one.
I found these at a different site. Which one do you have, the 50? It comes with the cable at this site.
Bta-50-ohm Wireng Boatant Marine Fully Enclosed Antenna Amplifiers Boosters Repeaters Modems 705688761792
this is the cable it comes with
https://www.amazon.com/ULL240-Coaxia...=1&*entries*=0

Does that mean you have to use with 12v electric only... was going to buy the 120v adapter
Amazon must have changed suppliers since I bought mine. The cable you linked to has an N connector on both ends - not what you want. The cable you need is shown in the "Frequently bought together" section below the antenna image on the Amazon page for the antenna. Check this link for a cable with a N male connector (the antenna end) and a FME female connector (almost the Sleek end). You will need an adapter to make the final connection to the Sleek - a FME-Male to SMA-Male Connector. Of course this is what I have to connect the antenna to MY Sleek. I checked the connector that is on the Wilson supplied short antenna that comes with the WeBoost & it is a male SMA, so I believe that the linked adapter will do the trick. If you are concerned, I'd call Wilson & ask - while you may have a long wait to get through, their technical support is very good.

As to power, the WeBoost 4G-S comes with a 12V connector that converts the 12V to a USB connector (and voltage). If you want to run the WeBoost on 120v, Amazon sells a Wilson Home/Office Accessory kit that will provide a 120V to USB connector (and voltage).