Wild ride - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2017, 12:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
We take a similar approach to washboard as others have noted. Drove over 50 kms of gravel roads over the summer - fast enough to smooth out the washboard but slow enough to stop for the potholes and maintain control in the loose gravel. The only problem we have had is a cracked black water dump valve from some flying rock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
If it ain't paved, it ain't be used.....!

Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
It may never happen but to prevent the fridge door from opening I take a small piece of low residue duct tape and use it to hold the door closed.
Hey, I went high tech and cat-themed for my cabinet door and 2 flip-up counters.

I've not done the frig, but that's on my list of stuff to do.

Now, isn't this classier than duct tape?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00195.jpg (210.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00196.jpg (184.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00197.jpg (182.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00198.jpg (185.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00201.jpg (165.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00199.jpg (190.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00200.jpg (179.7 KB, 12 views)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #14
Site Team

I have seen a flip up table flip up when not being used or is this part of the cat glamping?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm with you. If I can avoid those kinds of "torture tests" for my trailer, I'm going to pick another road, when available.

I understand that camping is an adventure and I grew up on gravel roads while learning to drive a manual transmission: 3-on-the-tree. However, as much fun as it was learning to drift in those turns, I like may trailer waaaaay too much to subject it to the pounding that some of the cars I was allowed to drive were put through.

Not condemning anyone else's choice of roads or sense of adventure, but I'm just sayin' that I worked hard to be able to afford an Escape and I won't be bouncing it around if I can avoid it. If unavoidable, y'all will think I'm towing with a farmer's combine because I'll be coasting along between 5-10 mph and making everyone late.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
That would eliminate 90% of our trailer camping. One of the reasons I like Escape, and other moulded FG trailers, is that they can easily handle this type road.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That would eliminate 90% of our trailer camping. One of the reasons I like Escape, and other moulded FG trailers, is that they can easily handle this type road.
Jim,

I have a county map that I've used to search for "gravel" roads.

I've found ONE road that was about a mile of unpaved road and another that was about 1/4 mile that seemed more like a driveway. I was able to drive into the National Forest and find several Forest Service Roads that would be considered "two track" and most were unimproved without any surface improvements or limited gravel patches.

My search was limited to the immediate county but I abandoned my search since it seem incredibly unproductive. I can only assume that the surrounding counties are in a similar condition. You'd have to wander far and wide in Kentucky to find an old dirt road these days.

I figure these conditions vary widely, but that's what makes it an adventure. If'n I find gravel, I'll jus' slow down and carry on.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #18
Site Team

Perhaps in Canada things are different but in Pennsylvania it is hard to find unpaved paths and if you did there certainly no campsites located there. Seems like it is most elsewhere, old native american paths that become trails then become roads then become interstates.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
One thing that can make a difference is how loaded your trailer is. Our 19 lightly loaded weighs around 3700 Lbs with all tanks empty with the hitch taking about 480 off of that so the axle weight is around 3220. We have 2 3500 Lb axles on ours instead of the 2500 Lb specified on the spec sheet. So we have a little bit of extra suspension and have noticed if you put something on the bed and hit a bump it gets launched.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Perhaps in Canada things are different but in Pennsylvania it is hard to find unpaved paths and if you did there certainly no campsites located there. Seems like it is most elsewhere, old native american paths that become trails then become roads then become interstates.
There are quite a few gravel roads around my area and some of them can be very interesting to travel on. And a few you wonder if you really belong there.

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote