2” Spare difference. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔Would a full size tire fit underneath?
I do not know and hope to never find out. I carry a floor jack and lug wrench and can change a tire quicker the the father in "Christmas Story"...........
Old 07-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Good suggestions!

My S2000 has a temporary spare. The temporary spare can only be used on the front of the car, because it is rear wheel drive with a limited slip differential. So, the manual specifies if it gets a flat on the rear, you have to put the temporary spare on the front and then move the front tire to the rear.
Looks like Escape trailers is not the only thing we have in common.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160425_115525.jpg  
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not know and hope to never find out. I carry a floor jack and lug wrench and can change a tire quicker the the father in "Christmas Story"...........
🤔You would save a lot of space and some weight if it would go under...
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
🤔 and then you put the flat tire in the passenger seat??
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔 and then you put the flat tire in the passenger seat??
Of course, your passenger can get an Uber
Old 07-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #26

Quote:
My 2016 Mustang GT has no spare, the rears are bigger than the fronts and they are Pirelli "summer tires" which means no driving below 40 degrees. Flats gets towed......
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0418.jpg  
Old 07-12-2020, 02:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Beautiful S2000!

S2000 Photo Album
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
All this talk about spare tires got me going last week after having new BFGoodrich A/T KO tires installed by Costco,Yeah, I know it is overkill but I use the F 250 up north while hauling stuff in to moose camp.And most of the time hauling moose home.However trying to find that key to lower the spare tire rack below the truck almost drove me nuts.Searching on you tube for ideas, went to Ford dealer, called wreckers who were very sympathetic and said everybody loses those, and yes they are almost impossible to find.Ford does not make them any more for your year of truck and they keep changing all the time.Next morning headed for the garage got a bunch of tools ready to destroy the locking device on that rack.
Some instinct told me to check that Du-Ha storage unit under the back seat in the extended cab.Had already been in that box several times.Lo and behold there it was.Hidden in a little black pouch with instructions inside, plastic sealed.I had been looking for a finger sized piece of aluminum, nice and shiny.Saved my day.Got to work cranking down the spare tire, it is secured by a cable hooked up to a winch.Got the wheel out checked the air cleaned and painted the rim, cleaned up the the rubber first.
Re installed next day.Peace in the valley, would hate to be stranded on some road after dark especially and not able to get the spare out.Moral of the story, do not loose that little
key for the spare tire rack.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My 2016 Mustang GT has no spare, the rears are bigger than the fronts and they are Pirelli "summer tires" which means no driving below 40 degrees. Flats gets towed......
Nice car. I really like Mustangs. Does it come from the factory with no spare?
I saw an episode of Jay Leno's garage where he drives a 2016 GTR Mustang Carbon, an awesome car, I would have to win a lottery to buy one however.
Plus in Edmonton, above 40F would mean I could only drive the car for 4 or 5 months, that's what it feels like sometimes.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:10 AM   #30

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
When I bought my "new to me" 2017 Tundra, one of the first things I did was look underneath to see if it had a full size spare. It did.

However. while towing our 5.0 west bound on I-10 just outside of Phoenix last March, we got a sudden flat on the passenger rear wheel. No problem. I unhooked the trailer, cranked down the spare and discovered that also though it was "full sized" it was on the 18" wheel that is standard with the base Tundra. My Platinum trim line has 20" alloy wheels. Went ahead and changed the tire but there was no way I was going to tow 1,500 miles home with different sized wheels / tires on the rear!

Unfortunately, the two tire companies at the next exit did not have tires that matched my existing tires. The flat was not repairable as it had a 1/4" hole in it from some hazard I must have hit. Ended up buying two new tires for the rear to get us home. Then traded out the fronts to match as well.

It is on my list to get a matching wheel and tire for my spare. Annoying that the "upgraded" fancy wheels on the higher trim lines only include the wheels you can see!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:20 AM   #31

Like many cars today my SUV came without a spare, got a compatible wheel with identical size tire at tirerack.com. Takes a nice chunk for storage space but lowers my long distance towing anxiety.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190806_140304531.jpg  
Old 07-13-2020, 06:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
Nice car. I really like Mustangs. Does it come from the factory with no spare?
I saw an episode of Jay Leno's garage where he drives a 2016 GTR Mustang Carbon, an awesome car, I would have to win a lottery to buy one however.
Plus in Edmonton, above 40F would mean I could only drive the car for 4 or 5 months, that's what it feels like sometimes.
Comes from factory w/o spare.....and to replace the tires after 6,000 miles....$1400... eeekkk
I figure it cost me about $35 each burnout on the bowling alley parking lot...but the exhilaration is phenomenal....
Old 07-13-2020, 06:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
When I bought my "new to me" 2017 Tundra, one of the first things I did was look underneath to see if it had a full size spare. It did.

However. while towing our 5.0 west bound on I-10 just outside of Phoenix last March, we got a sudden flat on the passenger rear wheel. No problem. I unhooked the trailer, cranked down the spare and discovered that also though it was "full sized" it was on the 18" wheel that is standard with the base Tundra. My Platinum trim line has 20" alloy wheels. Went ahead and changed the tire but there was no way I was going to tow 1,500 miles home with different sized wheels / tires on the rear!

Unfortunately, the two tire companies at the next exit did not have tires that matched my existing tires. The flat was not repairable as it had a 1/4" hole in it from some hazard I must have hit. Ended up buying two new tires for the rear to get us home. Then traded out the fronts to match as well.

It is on my list to get a matching wheel and tire for my spare. Annoying that the "upgraded" fancy wheels on the higher trim lines only include the wheels you can see!
This exactly what Ram does.....I bought a matching 20" wheel and when I purchased new tires mounted one on it and carry it in the bed.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:57 AM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Noting that someone here has posted a neat mod for mounting of their Escape trailer spare under the tongue in front, which would 'free-up' the rear mount for that full-size vehicle spare.
Here’s the one I did on a 21 with winch to free up the rear bumper area for mini-split condenser
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post292144
Old 07-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #35

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
A smaller diameter spare wheel may not be a significant issue if the spare tire is not a donut and is the same outer diameter as the original tire.
This website provides a tire diameter calculator. Of course a tape measure works as well.
https://tiresize.com/calculator/
I hope an auto company and dealer would take this into account when offering wheel diameter upgrades. Of course the intent of some upgrades is to increase vehicle height via a larger diameter tire.
A 2 inch tire diameter increase will raise the vehicle about 1 inch (the tire radius).
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I better read my Explorer manual. I’m quite sure it’s a default Front Wheel Drive when not running AWD. Then again, this may be a different animal all together.
Reading the manual is always a good idea. Is this the new 2020 Explorer or the previous design, or an even older generation? They share nothing but the manufacturer and model name.

The 2011-2019 Explorer has a front wheel drive base version. The Wikipedia page says that the all wheel drive has a centre differential so it always drives all wheels (with an electronically controlled locking clutch on that centre differential); however, the 2015 Explorer owner's manual says that it only drives the rear wheels as required, automatically engaging rear drive with an electronically controlled clutch. The 2015 manual says:
Quote:
If your vehicle is equipped with 4WD, a spare tire of a different size other than the tire provided should never be used. If the mini-spare tire is installed, the 4WD system may disable automatically and enter front-wheel drive only mode to protect driveline components. This condition may be indicated by an AWD Off message in the information display.
Given this behaviour, I'm not sure that putting a smaller temporary spare on the front is desirable.

The 2020 Explorer has a rear wheel drive base version. I don't know if the all wheel drive version drives the front wheels all of the time, or only when required, and the owner's manual doesn't even hint at how it works. It certainly does not default to front wheel drive.

The 2020 Owner's Manual has a section about use of the spare tire (starting on page 376). Since there are three different spare tire sizes and types available, it would make sense to read that section, look at the spare again to see which one it is, and follow the corresponding directions (towing is not allowed with two of these types, and requires caution with the third type). With this vehicle, carrying a full-size spare in the same location as the stock spare (as others have described in this discussion) is not an option. The manual says:
Quote:
You cannot store the full-sized road wheel in the temporary spare tire well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:49 PM   #37

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Reading the manual is always a good idea. Is this the new 2020 Explorer or the previous design, or an even older generation? They share nothing but the manufacturer and model name.

The 2011-2019 Explorer has a front wheel drive base version. The Wikipedia page says that the all wheel drive has a centre differential so it always drives all wheels (with an electronically controlled locking clutch on that centre differential); however, the 2015 Explorer owner's manual says that it only drives the rear wheels as required, automatically engaging rear drive with an electronically controlled clutch. The 2015 manual says:
If your vehicle is equipped with 4WD, a spare tire of a different size other than the tire provided should never be used. If the mini-spare tire is installed, the 4WD system may disable automatically and enter front-wheel drive only mode to protect driveline components. This condition may be indicated by an AWD Off message in the information display.

Given this behaviour, I'm not sure that putting a smaller temporary spare on the front is desirable.

The 2020 Explorer has a rear wheel drive base version. I don't know if the all wheel drive version drives the front wheels all of the time, or only when required, and the owner's manual doesn't even hint at how it works. It certainly does not default to front wheel drive.

The 2020 Owner's Manual has a section about use of the spare tire (starting on page 376). Since there are three different spare tire sizes and types available, it would make sense to read that section, look at the spare again to see which one it is, and follow the corresponding directions (towing is not allowed with two of these types, and requires caution with the third type). With this vehicle, carrying a full-size spare in the same location as the stock spare (as others have described in this discussion) is not an option. The manual says:You cannot store the full-sized road wheel in the temporary spare tire well.
Wow. Brian is the reason that tow vehicle year/make/model should be in the forum profile!
Old 07-13-2020, 07:14 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
no spare?

I'm a little surprised to hear that some vehicles come without spare tires, didn't know that was a thing.
After reading about some trucks having different size spare tires I went and looked at our 2018 F150. The F150 base tire is 17 inch, ours are 18 inch and the spare is 18 inch also ( I do not think there would be room for a 20 inch in the spare location). The spare is a Goodyear and the other 4 are Michelin. I actually like the tread on the Goodyear better. The only difference between the tires is the spare is 0.8 inch wider for some reason.
Good thing I checked as the tire assembly is looking a little rusty, I think I will try and remove it and spray it with something to ensure it is able to be removed if needed.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote