2022 Tacoma TRD PRO w/ Manual Transmission + Escape 19 = Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2022, 08:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (We hope!)
Question 2022 Tacoma TRD PRO w/ Manual Transmission + Escape 19 = Questions

So... we have a 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO with a manual transmission. LOVE the truck.

We're *this* close to ordering a E19.

Questions.

Our plan is to do the Redarc brake controller. We also plan to do a WDH... and, frankly, we'll do what we can to make the towing experience the best it can possibly be.

I know some people aren't fans of manual transmissions - for us, that's not negotiable. If it doesn't have a clutch - we're not doing it. So... moving past that.

Talk me about:

1) What are some "must haves" or "will make the experience better" as far as hitches, etc.

2) The numbers for tongue, weights, dry/wet, payload, etc. are all within a range I'm comfortable with.

Does anyone else tow an E19 with the newer Tacos?

Anything else you can add?

Thanks!
SillyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Thumbs down

Congrats on the new Tacoma- there are some others here in the clutch too.

Normally any WDH is good with an Escape. They're narrower, not as high and lower than most stickies. Tongue weight is such that one has to go out of their way to get it too light.

Except the 19 & probably the 21 NE for the same reasons. With the bed in the back- as well as the fridge and stuff people store under the bed it can be easier to have a tongue weight less than most would say is safe. With a 21C- with the bathroom in the front and huge storage under the front bed it is almost impossible to be tongue light.

The only reported accidents reported here due to sway have been with a 19 AFAIK(8 year addict sez Susan) So while they seem to be few & far between if it were me with a Gen2 19 (the Gen1 was 500 lbs. lighter yet still the same layout) I would spend the extra money on the Fastway E2.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Congrats on the new Tacoma- there are some others here in the clutch too.

Normally any WDH is good with an Escape. They're narrower, not as high and lower than most stickies. Tongue weight is such that one has to go out of their way to get it too light.

Except the 19 & probably the 21 NE for the same reasons. With the bed in the back- as well as the fridge and stuff people store under the bed it can be easier to have a tongue weight less than most would say is safe. With a 21C- with the bathroom in the front and huge storage under the front bed it is almost impossible to be tongue light.

The only reported accidents reported here due to sway have been with a 19 AFAIK(8 year addict sez Susan) So while they seem to be few & far between if it were me with a Gen2 19 (the Gen1 was 500 lbs. lighter yet still the same layout) I would spend the extra money on the Fastway E2.
10-4 on the E2. Is that about the "best one"? I see that you CAN run reverse with it and I've been told to avoid ones that you can't run reverse with - is that correct?

Also... the Redarc - is that about the best choice?

Stupid question. Do people use a anti-sway AND a WDH or just the WDH?
Old 08-28-2022, 07:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyPete View Post
10-4 on the E2. Is that about the "best one"? I see that you CAN run reverse with it and I've been told to avoid ones that you can't run reverse with - is that correct?

Also... the Redarc - is that about the best choice?

Stupid question. Do people use a anti-sway AND a WDH or just the WDH?
Depending on the WDH manufacture and design some WDH's have anti-sway incorporated into the design. Equalizer brand and Andersen Hitches are two that come to mind that have sway control incorporated. I have had the Equalizer in the past and although a bit heavy it worked extremely well at both weight distribution and sway control.
Ryan

For reference, I was using the equalizer hitch with a Nissan Frontier crew cab.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:21 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I'm in the process of setting up my 21 4 Runner for towing an E-19. This info. might or might not help. I went with the Redarc Liberty controller about $80 cheaper. You need to buy the Toyota 021 adapter cable with the diode installed. You will also need to order the correct Redarc Toyota dash plug. The cable and plug that comes with the Elite won't work and the Liberty does not come with a cable and plug. My 7-way jack was tucked up under the truck, I bought a bracket from Amazon and moved the jack to the bumper. The wire length was OK. I installed blue Sumo springs since we carry a bunch of extra stuff when we go to Fl for the winter. We do use a WDH. I just added spot mirrors and am currently looking at towing mirror options. Again, I'm dealing with a 4 Runner.
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 02:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A
I also just installed a Redarc Liberty in an 18 4Runner. Similar cockpit to Tacoma I think. Was very slick with the Toyota Specific harness and blank from eTrailer. Their service person was awesome at making sure I had all the right parts. Installation was easy and my wife thinks the little trailer on the dial is “adorable.”

A lot of people also really like the Tekonsha controllers, I just liked the look of the Redarc better. Ha!

From my understanding (someone can correct me if I’m wrong) the Elite has more features for extreme towing conditions (rock crawling, sand, etc) and if this applies to you the extra cost of the Elite might be worth it. Cannot recommend the Liberty and ordering through eTrailer enough though.
wind bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 08:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Firestone RideRite airbags, with manual tire inflator valves, on the rear springs, made my 2008 Tacoma TRD OffRoad ride 10X nicer when heavily loaded.

watch your payload. mine only had a 1200 lb payload to which I had to substract...

1) 100 lbs+ for the fiberglass shell on the bed
2) 500 lbs for the E21 tongue weight
3) 100 lbs for miscellaneous stuff I always carry in a truck, like tools, Viaair tire pump, tow strap, jumper cables, etc
4) 500 lbs for myself + other + dog

ooops, nothing left. ended up getting a bigger truck. that all said, the '08 6-speed manual Tacoma TRD did just fine towing the mostly empty E21 from Dallas to Santa Cruz by way of Reno. gas mileage was *awful*.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 06:13 AM   #8

I'm still doing all my calculations. Thank you for the info! Keep it coming.

I'm wondering if doing airbags on a Tacoma TRD PRO is any different than doing it on other Tacos (The TRDO PRO has that FOX setup, etc.)?
Old 08-29-2022, 11:08 AM   #9
Site Team

its still leaf springs, isn't it? the Fox Shocks are just fancier shocks

airbag + upgraded bilstein:

the key thing about the airbag vs other spring modifiers, you can drop the pressure to like 5 PSI when you're just driving around normally without a heavy load in back and the truck rides like it does stock, and pump them up to like 30 or 40 PSI when carrying a max load in the back, this regardless of whether or not you are towing. You can use a bicycle pump or a tire inflator/compressor. when heavily loaded the airbags provide more spring in back and level the truck. Its a direct bolt on application, requires no mods at all to the truck, except drilling the holes for the air inflator valves, usually on either side of the license plate in the rear bumper.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 E19
I will be towing an E19 with a 2014 TRD OR Access Cab with a MT. Dealing with the Tacoma's relatively light payload limits is my biggest concern.
From what I understand, the tongue weight on the 19 is a little lighter compared to other tandem-axle Escape trailers (as well as many similar size single-axle competitors). I know that I'll need to be very mindful of how I load the trailer. I've already picked up a scale to make sure I can properly monitor tongue weight. I also plan on configuring the trailer with the front storage box and U-shaped dinette. That should help to provide space to store heavy items up front (such as tools/etc).

Undoubtedly, a WD/sway control hitch will be essential. I'm planning on going with the Fastway E2 offered by Escape. I’m leaning towards adding Sumo Springs as an alternative to air bags.

The biggest manual transmission-specific concern that I have relates to the Tacoma’s very tall reverse gearing (an issue on both 2nd and 3rd gen manual trucks). I gained some first-hand experience with this while trying to back up a small utility trailer up some slightly uneven and hilly terrain. The clutch was not happy! My tires are stock size, but the problem would be even worse with oversize tires with stock gearing. I’m looking to perform the “2wd-low” modification that should help with this (allows low range to be selected in the transfer case while keeping the front drivetrain disconnected). This is apparently easy to do on a 2nd gen Tacoma….not sure about a 3rd gen.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:02 PM   #11
Site Team

I never had any issues backing up with the stock sized tires on my TRD OR and 6 speed manual. The 4.0 was pretty torquey down low, that probably helped. I do remember once when I was on gravel, I did put it in 4L to backup but that was because the wheels spun and spat a little gravel
Old 09-07-2022, 12:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I’m a diehard Toyota fan but the third gen Tacoma is not strong at towing. It makes its power past 4000rpm. You spend too much time in lower gears and gas mileage will be really bad.

I had a 2008 Tacoma and 2017 4Runner with the 4.0L and they were excellent trucks for towing. Many forum members who tried the current Tacoma ended up with a F150.
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:45 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
I'm in the process of setting up my 21 4 Runner for towing an E-19. This info. might or might not help. I went with the Redarc Liberty controller about $80 cheaper. You need to buy the Toyota 021 adapter cable with the diode installed. You will also need to order the correct Redarc Toyota dash plug. The cable and plug that comes with the Elite won't work and the Liberty does not come with a cable and plug. My 7-way jack was tucked up under the truck, I bought a bracket from Amazon and moved the jack to the bumper. The wire length was OK. I installed blue Sumo springs since we carry a bunch of extra stuff when we go to Fl for the winter. We do use a WDH. I just added spot mirrors and am currently looking at towing mirror options. Again, I'm dealing with a 4 Runner.
What bracket did you buy to relocate the 7 pin plug? Do you mean that the wiring harness on the vehicle was long enough to fit the new location on the bumper? Thanks for your description of installing the Redarc components.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote