Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB best for towing a 5.0TA?? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #81

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
... No one at dealer has knowledge or can explain the towing options. Plus, it's time consuming to search for vehicles that have specific options. Just my experience, YMMV. Cheers, Happy New Year!
When we were first looking into a new F-150, we were given conflicting information as well (even what size fuel tanks could and couldn't come with which bed lengths). We finally downloaded a detailed brochure, and if you keep track of model and style, then keep a close eye on all the "*" and "**" and "***" footnotes, inclusions, exclusions, exceptions (etc., etc., etc.), it finally started making some sense. Then one day my wife happened upon one parked in a local dealer's lot with a window sticker that listed all the options we wanted (plus a couple more that have turned out to actually be pretty handy), so that's the truck we bought. And then I quickly flushed all that brochure information out of my head.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #82

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This is a result of the redesign of the 2.7L EcoBoost for 2018. It features both direct and port injection, and has 25 lb/ft more torque than my 2015 2.7L. It will also be paired for the first time with the 10 speed transmission. This ought to be an impressive combination for light/medium duty towing, and I can't wait to drive it this spring. I've been entirely pleased with the 2.7L EcoBoost over 3 years. The new one looks to be even better.
And it appears they have solved their original throttle body problem and included that fix on the redesigned engine.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #83

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
So far have had no problems with our 2015 2.7EB but with only 35000 km I would hope not. I got the extended warranty to 100,000 or 5 years so will see how it is when getting close and perhaps will trade for the newer (and better?) one.

I love the 135 litre tank and unlike Alf who says he would not want to fill it, I try to only fill it in the US. Here in Thunder Bay with prices at 123.9/l I topped off the tank since it's so bitterly cold here. I won't have to fill again until in MN on the way home (was 2.45 a gallon there on Dec. 21).

Robert mentioned having the long range. I love it too but too bad Ford couldn't have accommodated an extra digit on the "left to empty" which shows 999 long after I fill it since it's KM. It's also unfortunate that because we use litres per 100 km that the economy gauge gets greener as the mileage gets worse instead of better as in a US model.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #84

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So I checked out this thread on the Airstream forum, and yes there were several people who provided anecdotal information and expressed strong opinions about the "LITTLE" 3.5 liter EB, alluding to there being potential long-term problems with towing with these smaller EB engines, but no one posted any links to real data. There was also a fair amount of the "go big or go home" from people who evidently don't mind buying, maintaining, and fueling more truck than they might need, but of course their opinions were based on towing trailers that weigh considerably more than a loaded 5.0TA, so not for me to judge! I still think the F-150 EcoBoost offers a sweet spot in terms of capability and efficiency for Escape owners but do worry about some of the potential issues towing over time, particularly up and down steep mountain grades. One would hope Ford has addressed any problems in their latest iteration, but it may well be worth considering the extended warranty just in case! There are pros and cons of most every vehicle option out there, but at some point a person just has to make a decision and move forward. At present, we are leaning heavily towards the 2018 F-150 2.7 EcoBoost with the payload package, tow package for the 2.7, and 36-gallon fuel tank. About to launch on an internet search to see if any dealer in the Northwest has what we want already sitting on their lot. Thanks again to everyone taking the time to respond, your posts have been incredibly helpful, and I very much appreciate the respectful tone all of you showed this "newbie" as I'm trying to learn this stuff. I'm really looking forward to becoming a "real" member of the Escape community one day very soon!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
It's smart to take anecdotal info (especially with no hard data to back it up) with a grain of salt Katherine. Nothing beats real world experience.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #86

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB best for towing a 5.0TA??

After reading about tow vehicles on the Escape forum since Jeff started it I can say with confidence that there are as many opinions as there are vehicles ( probably more [emoji6]).
I think what it comes down to is what type of vehicle your used to driving, your comfortable driving, your idea of “enough power/torque” , budget, what fits your lifestyle/expectations as a daily driver if need, brand loyalty, and a whole lot more.
I can easily see someone new to tow vehicles and trailers being totally mind boggled by all the opinions offered here. My advise, read, research, test drive (if your not comfortable driving a full-size truck then you probably won’t want to tow with one), same goes for smaller vehicles with less HP/torque.
Remember there’s a near perfect tow vehicle out there for everyone you just have to find it. Some of us went through a couple of vehicles before we found our perfect one [emoji41].

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #87

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I also have heard from others (anecdotal) that the ECO Boost engine has a rather high failure rate in area with cold winters
( Cold defined as below zero)
As I have stated in the past , all our local Ford Dealers have tried to steer us away from the EB and toward the V8. The dealers felt the V8 was a proven engine , more dependable , would offer the greatest engine life and was more suited for towing.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #88
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I also have heard from others (anecdotal) that the ECO Boost engine has a rather high failure rate in area with cold winters
As I have stated in the past , all our local Ford Dealers have tried to steer us away from the EB and toward the V8. The dealers felt the V8 was a proven engine , more dependable , would offer the greatest engine life and was more suited for towing.
They would know, I suppose. That kind of cold does funny things to engines. A 'tried and true' approach by folks with years of experience in that environment makes sense. Perhaps in a couple more years when they have better long term data, particularly durability data, those opinions might shift.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #89

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
After reading about tow vehicles on the Escape forum since Jeff started it I can say with confidence that there are as many opinions as there are vehicles ( probably more [emoji6]).
I think what it comes down to is what type of vehicle your used to driving, your comfortable driving, your idea of “enough power/torque” , budget, what fits your lifestyle/expectations as a daily driver if need, brand loyalty, and a whole lot more.
I can easily see someone new to tow vehicles and trailers being totally mind boggled by all the opinions offered here. My advise, read, research, test drive (if your not comfortable driving a full-size truck then you probably won’t want to tow with one), same goes for smaller vehicles with less HP/torque.
Remember there’s a near perfect tow vehicle out there for everyone you just have to find it. Some of us went through a couple of vehicles before we found our perfect one [emoji41].

Cheers
Doug
So very true Doug! Our last truck was a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500, and I absolutely loved that truck and wish we still had it. My first pickup was a 1990 Dodge Cummins diesel with a 5-speed manual transmission. Now that was an amazing truck, but after driving it a couple hours, you literally felt like someone had rolled you down a steep, rocky hill with a brick wall at the bottom! I'm too old for a truck like that In 2015 we rented a brand new F-150 on a fishing trip, and I fell in love with it. I can't remember if it was an EcoBoost or not, probably not, but I loved how it felt driving it, so comfortable. I am confident when I test drive a 2018 model I will feel the same. And if for some reason it doesn't work out, we can always try something else. I am still somewhat brand loyal to Chevy, for sure. Thanks again for your comments!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #90

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Anecdote / Opinion #432,789 as follows.....

I have a 2012 F-150 3.5L ecoboost with about 34K miles (I know, I need to camp more). It has been used to pull a 2016 "classic" 21 across the great plains and occasionally the mountains. At 65-70 MPH, average MPG is 11-12 MPG when towing, 18-19 MPG when not. Sure, I wish I could get a few more MPG but I have no power issues when going uphill, merging or passing. No problems at all with the ecoboost engine. I love my truck.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #91
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
I have a 2012 F-150 3.5L ecoboost with about 34K miles...
Stefan, a word of warning: Do not, under any circumstances, drive the next generation F150 with the aluminum body and the updated EcoBoost.

I'm just trying to save you a substantial amount of money. [emoji23]
Old 01-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #92

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Towing a 5.0 Single Axle Classic with the 2.7

In the late summer I bought a 2017 F 150XLT Scab, 2.7 Ecoboost with 3.73 rear axle and towing package to replace my Ranger. We did a 4500km trip through Washington and Oregon this fall using the F150 to pull my 2012 5.0 Classic single axle Escape (3800 lbs loaded) and towing I got between 12.2 and 12.4 litres per 100 km (according to the on board computer) which equates to between 22 and 23 miles per imperial gallon. Not towing I was getting between 9.4 and 11.5 litres per 100 km which equates to between 24 and 30 mpg. I towed in 5th gear not 6th as I found that the transmission ran 2 to 3 degrees cooler that way and I could set the cruise for virtually the whole trip and the truck stayed in 5th the whole time, with the exception of the odd steep mountain pass where it would occasionally kick down to 4th for a short while. Also, I tow at between 90 and 100 kph and 94 kph (58mph) seemed to be the sweet spot for mileage in 5th at 2000 rpm. At those speeds in 6th the engine seemed to be lugging (1600 rpm) and when I hit anything but the smallest incline the transmission would kick down and/or the turbos would engage.

I've driven diesels and quite frankly this engine is as close to a diesel you can get without actually getting one, the low end torque is incredible. It's uncanny to be able to drive a gas engine uphill at just over 2000 rpm and never see your speed drop.

Since I bought my truck on the year end clearance I wasn't able to get the payload package which is the only thing I would have liked to have but wasn't able to get.
I was fully loaded for the aforementioned trip, with the following for 3 to 4 weeks of camping; regular Curt Q16 5th wheel hitch, two storage boxes in the truck bed, tailgate off, 1000 watt generator, spare 10lb propane tank, propane fire pit, wheeled potable fresh water tank, 2 zero gravity chairs, 2 regular chairs, cooler, camp stove, portable solar panel, folding table and a Weber barbecue all of which was in the truck bed or cab. After filling up with gas I went to a weigh station about 5 miles away and weighed the tuck and trailer with both my wife and me in it. The truck came in at 6450lbs and the GVW for this truck is 6500lbs, the trailer unhitched from the truck was 3800lbs.. Not a lot to spare but it's legal and I could easily par down some "stuff" I take to have more leeway, for instance I haven't used my generator in the last two years and am now at the point where I'm going to leave it at home. The payload package would have been nice but wasn't a deal breaker and in my case not having it reigns me in a bit to stop me from taking too much "stuff".

As for the large fuel tank I believe in Canada it is now standard as the Ford website lists the smaller gas tank as a (credit) option. I filled up in Bend, Oregon and towed all the way home through the Cascades to Mission (50km west of Chilliwack) and still had over 1/4 of a tank left.

I would be interested in others opinion as to towing in 5th gear. A mechanic friend of mine told me years ago not to tow with an engine speed of under 2000rpm otherwise you risk the chance of engine damage from lugging the engine. What's the general consensus with the Ecoboost?

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #93

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
With the bigger 3.5 I use cruise a lot in 6th, no problems up and down rolling hills. Never tried 5th, no real reason to I guess with tow mode.

I know I shouldn't say anything as I'm about to leave for a long trip, but my 2012 has 80k, I drive in the cold a lot, yes even below 0. Not a single truck issue other then the brakes got cooked going to Yellowstone. They have done a couple recall type updates.

Hopefully I do not need to try a newer EB for a few more years.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #94
Site Team

Barry, I don't know of any actual data to support the theory that it might harm the engine to tow at lower rpm. I just select tow/haul mode and let the truck decide. So far, so good.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #95

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
My GMC manual told you to NOT tow in over drive, which if I recall correctly was really 4th gear. Running down the highway in 3rd took some getting used to.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #96

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
So I checked out this thread on the Airstream forum, and yes there were several people who provided anecdotal information and expressed strong opinions about the "LITTLE" 3.5 liter EB, alluding to there being potential long-term problems with towing with these smaller EB engines, but no one posted any links to real data. There was also a fair amount of the "go big or go home" from people who evidently don't mind buying, maintaining, and fueling more truck than they might need, but of course their opinions were based on towing trailers that weigh considerably more than a loaded 5.0TA, so not for me to judge! I still think the F-150 EcoBoost offers a sweet spot in terms of capability and efficiency for Escape owners but do worry about some of the potential issues towing over time, particularly up and down steep mountain grades. One would hope Ford has addressed any problems in their latest iteration, but it may well be worth considering the extended warranty just in case! There are pros and cons of most every vehicle option out there, but at some point a person just has to make a decision and move forward. At present, we are leaning heavily towards the 2018 F-150 2.7 EcoBoost with the payload package, tow package for the 2.7, and 36-gallon fuel tank. About to launch on an internet search to see if any dealer in the Northwest has what we want already sitting on their lot. Thanks again to everyone taking the time to respond, your posts have been incredibly helpful, and I very much appreciate the respectful tone all of you showed this "newbie" as I'm trying to learn this stuff. I'm really looking forward to becoming a "real" member of the Escape community one day very soon!
I read that Airstream thread also and found it very interesting. I've done a fair amount of rebuilding motors so most of it makes sense. Is it true? Hard telling given all the variables. Did people change their oil frequently enough? How much of a load did they tow and how often, etc. Very difficult to know how much truth is there.

My concern...and I'll do more research for my own education is how touchy are the turbos given they are oil cooled. Meaning how often do you change the oil, etc. Hard to do on the road. I'd much prefer the V8 302 but from what I hear Ford is going to quit making those in 2018.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #97

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
In the late summer I bought a 2017 F 150XLT Scab, 2.7 Ecoboost with 3.73 rear axle and towing package to replace my Ranger. We did a 4500km trip through Washington and Oregon this fall using the F150 to pull my 2012 5.0 Classic single axle Escape (3800 lbs loaded) and towing I got between 12.2 and 12.4 litres per 100 km (according to the on board computer) which equates to between 22 and 23 miles per imperial gallon. Not towing I was getting between 9.4 and 11.5 litres per 100 km which equates to between 24 and 30 mpg. I towed in 5th gear not 6th as I found that the transmission ran 2 to 3 degrees cooler that way and I could set the cruise for virtually the whole trip and the truck stayed in 5th the whole time, with the exception of the odd steep mountain pass where it would occasionally kick down to 4th for a short while. Also, I tow at between 90 and 100 kph and 94 kph (58mph) seemed to be the sweet spot for mileage in 5th at 2000 rpm. At those speeds in 6th the engine seemed to be lugging (1600 rpm) and when I hit anything but the smallest incline the transmission would kick down and/or the turbos would engage.

I've driven diesels and quite frankly this engine is as close to a diesel you can get without actually getting one, the low end torque is incredible. It's uncanny to be able to drive a gas engine uphill at just over 2000 rpm and never see your speed drop.

Since I bought my truck on the year end clearance I wasn't able to get the payload package which is the only thing I would have liked to have but wasn't able to get.
I was fully loaded for the aforementioned trip, with the following for 3 to 4 weeks of camping; regular Curt Q16 5th wheel hitch, two storage boxes in the truck bed, tailgate off, 1000 watt generator, spare 10lb propane tank, propane fire pit, wheeled potable fresh water tank, 2 zero gravity chairs, 2 regular chairs, cooler, camp stove, portable solar panel, folding table and a Weber barbecue all of which was in the truck bed or cab. After filling up with gas I went to a weigh station about 5 miles away and weighed the tuck and trailer with both my wife and me in it. The truck came in at 6450lbs and the GVW for this truck is 6500lbs, the trailer unhitched from the truck was 3800lbs.. Not a lot to spare but it's legal and I could easily par down some "stuff" I take to have more leeway, for instance I haven't used my generator in the last two years and am now at the point where I'm going to leave it at home. The payload package would have been nice but wasn't a deal breaker and in my case not having it reigns me in a bit to stop me from taking too much "stuff".

As for the large fuel tank I believe in Canada it is now standard as the Ford website lists the smaller gas tank as a (credit) option. I filled up in Bend, Oregon and towed all the way home through the Cascades to Mission (50km west of Chilliwack) and still had over 1/4 of a tank left.

I would be interested in others opinion as to towing in 5th gear. A mechanic friend of mine told me years ago not to tow with an engine speed of under 2000rpm otherwise you risk the chance of engine damage from lugging the engine. What's the general consensus with the Ecoboost?

Barry
I put the truck in Tow mode and let it figure out what gear. The manual explained that it will use 6th. As far as lugging the motor under 2k rpm that's true for some motors, small displacement, normally asperated maybe, not my 2016 2.7 EB. Only time I would purposely shift to a lower gear is if it started hunting which hasn't happened yet. The new computer controlled automatic trannys are really efficient well thought out mechanical marvels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #98

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Anyone on this forum that actually owns an Ecoboost not happy with theirs? [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #99

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I too tow in Tow Mode and let the truck pick the gear it likes. It also then makes great gear choices for engine braking on downhills!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #100

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:

Seems curious to me, if true, that Ford, who is based in Michigan, and no stranger to freezing temperatures, would craft a vehicle that did not perform properly in home town conditions. Sounds fishy.