Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB best for towing a 5.0TA?? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Seems curious to me, if true, that Ford, who is based in Michigan, and no stranger to freezing temperatures, would craft a vehicle that did not perform properly in home town conditions. Sounds fishy.
I don't think anyone is saying they don't perform well when it's cold. But Steve mentioned there appears to be a consensus among dealers that the V8 is better. Without any long term data, I've no idea.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #102

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Seems curious to me, if true, that Ford, who is based in Michigan, and no stranger to freezing temperatures, would craft a vehicle that did not perform properly in home town conditions. Sounds fishy.
The Ford Eco Boost was noted for having problems in high humidity and rainy conditions . Ford is located in Michigan where it rains , snows and has high humidity.
How is this possible ? Sounds Fishy.!!
Evidently the page after page of complaints on the internet are all
FAKE news.

I am not going to argue with you. I only posted what I read and what I was told , if you don't like it then don't believe it.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #103

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
FAKE news.
I agree. Pages after pages on the interweb are made up, some deliberately, with nothing to back them up. Many are just people repeating what they read 'somewhere'.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #104
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I agree. Pages after pages on the interweb are made up, some deliberately, with nothing to back them up. Many are just people repeating what they read 'somewhere'.
And often a little digging reveals that the person doesn't own or use the product they're critiquing.

I've been burned twice now on Amazon by trusting a consensus 5 star review of a product, only to find later that the reviews were fake, and the product was junk. I'm not saying that correlates in this case, but much of the internet is suspect at best, and fake at worst.

As the old Packard commercials used to say, "ask the man that owns one".
Old 01-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #105

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB best for towing a 5.0TA??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And often a little digging reveals that the person doesn't own or use the product they're critiquing.

I've been burned twice now on Amazon by trusting a consensus 5 star review of a product, only to find later that the reviews were fake, and the product was junk. I'm not saying that correlates in this case, but much of the internet is suspect at best, and fake at worst.

Robert I only consider a review or someone’s opinion if they actually have the product. On Amazon if a review doesn’t indicate they’re a “verified purchaser” I don’t even read it. Even then you can still get burned.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #106
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Robert I only consider a review or someone’s opinion if they actually have the product. On Amazon if a review doesn’t indicate they’re a “verified purchaser” I don’t even read it. Even then you can still get burned.

Cheers
Doug
Yeah, that's what I mean Doug. Many of the "verified purchasers" are not actually private individuals. For instance, a couple years ago I was looking for a cheap tablet. Numerous 5 star reviews from "verified purchasers" were full of beans. Total junk. I suspect they were in the employ of the manufacturer and purchased a large number of the devices in order to prop up the ratings. A difference of even 1 star in a rating can mean a difference of hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales, and unscrupulous sellers know it. I take most Amazon reviews now with a grain of salt.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #107

Trailer: None now
Quote:

It's not just Amazon, the reviews in magazines for the most part are paid advertisements. Regardless if what Consumer Reports says they often are shills too. And a lot of online sites too are paid or have some sort of relationship with the products they review.
Which is why when I see someone on a site like this who likes a product I take note. And am more apt to buy it based on people I feel I can trust to be objective.

Except vehicles, for some reason most folks belong to tribes like team Ford or Dodge or whatever.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #108

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
Quote:
Stefan, a word of warning: Do not, under any circumstances, drive the next generation F150 with the aluminum body and the updated EcoBoost.

I'm just trying to save you a substantial amount of money. [emoji23]
Thanks for looking out for me Robert!
Old 01-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #109

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Have you noticed how folks tend to think whatever they own is the best in it's field, no matter the product?

I get requests for reviews on products, usually a day or 2 after I get the product. How can someone write a valid review on something they've had for a day.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:14 PM   #110
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I get requests for reviews on products, usually a day or 2 after I get the product. How can someone write a valid review on something they've had for a day?
A very good point.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:19 PM   #111

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Have you noticed how folks tend to think whatever they own is the best in it's field, no matter the product?

I get requests for reviews on products, usually a day or 2 after I get the product. How can someone write a valid review on something they've had for a day.
How about 4 stars because it was nicely packaged and arrived on time. Love those.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #112

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The Ford Eco Boost was noted for having problems in high humidity and rainy conditions . Ford is located in Michigan where it rains , snows and has high humidity.
How is this possible ? Sounds Fishy.!!
FAKE news.

I am not going to argue with you. I only posted what I read and what I was told , if you don't like it then don't believe it.
Internets full of experts, have to climb a mountain of crap to find a kernel of truth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #113

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
My first pickup was a 1990 Dodge Cummins diesel with a 5-speed manual transmission. Now that was an amazing truck, but after driving it a couple hours, you literally felt like someone had rolled you down a steep, rocky hill with a brick wall at the bottom! I'm too old for a truck like that
Not my first pickup, but my first diesel was one of the first of these put out. In bull low I think I could have out pulled a locomotive. The power train was a brute, but like you said it also road like a brute, and the body of the truck started rattling apart slowly.

And loud, way louder than any other diesel I had. The new Ford PowerStrokes are incredibly quiet. The one I had you could barely hear and could hardly even tell it was a diesel.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #114

My EcoBoost now has near 50k on it, with 75% of that towing one trailer or another. No issues at all with the engine.

I did have a bit worrisome moment when I brought my trailer home today, and backed it into the drive. My drive is fairly steep. After backing in, a short while later the engine sputtered and quit. I could not get it started, it would kinda start buy not get near up to speed, then died out.

I remembered the fuel warning light had just come on and it was saying I had 61km to go when I backed in. I fortunately had the trailer in a good enough spot, disconnected it, and let the truck roll forward and out on the road. 10 seconds of turning over, it fired up and ran just fine.

It seems with low fuel you should not have your ass end up a couple feet higher than the front.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-02-2018, 06:45 PM   #115

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
36 gallon tank and you run it down to what, 3? That's livin on the edge Jim.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #116

Quote:
36 gallon tank and you run it down to what, 3? That's livin on the edge Jim.
Often less, love livin' on the edge.

The metric equivalent is 136 litres, and I have gone past 0 kilometres left, and filled the tank with 133 litres a couple times.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #117
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Often less, love livin' on the edge.

The metric equivalent is 136 litres, and I have gone past 0 kilometres left, and filled the tank with 133 litres a couple times.
Less than a gallon left when refueling. You madman. [emoji23]

I suppose that's better than having to push the vehicle into the gas station like I did a couple times in my youth. As long as the vehicle gets to the pump on it's own power, you calculated right.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #118

Quote:
Less than a gallon left when refueling. You madman. [emoji23]

I suppose that's better than having to push the vehicle into the gas station like I did a couple times in my youth. As long as the vehicle gets to the pump on it's own power, you calculated right.
I found it a good way to keep the wife quiet for a while, as she won't talk to me when I pass that station she thought I should refuel at.

It is fun to watch the fuel remaining meter battle for the lead with the kilometres remaining on the GPS. *we can make it honey, honest*
Old 01-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #119

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ah you need some reason to use the AAA/Good Sam/whatever road service one buys. Bet delivering tanks of gas and jumping batteries is 90% of the calls they get.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #120

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB best for towing a 5.0TA??

Quote:
And often a little digging reveals that the person doesn't own or use the product they're critiquing...As the old Packard commercials used to say, "ask the man that owns one".

Agreed.

I own a 2016 F150.

In over 30,000+ miles of use, mostly towing, I have never experienced any manner of degraded performance or any other problem or issue, related to

1. cold or freezing temperatures
2. humidity
3. rain or other precipitation

My experience has been, instead, of flawless performance in all conditions.

That said, our truck is part of the door handle recall, so there does exist a known design flaw with the door handle mechanism.

But there are no known issues, weather related or not, with the powertrain.

Maybe the “page after page of complaints” about performance in sub-zero temps...no, wait, rain and high humidity, were from users confused about the door handle recall - which is related to cold or wet weather.

But news flash, they recalled the latch, and it’s provided and installed for free by your local friendly dealer.

Hopefully someone will let the pages and pages of complainees know.