Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB best for towing a 5.0TA?? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #141

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
From the studies done, there doesn't seem to be much real world mileage difference between the ecoboost and 5.0 V-8: https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2...-liter-v8.html
I am not totally enamoured by the mileage I get with my 3.5 EB, especially while towing, but I am very impressed with it's towing capapcity. It rivals my 6.3 PowerStroke diesel in bull power, and am amazed the ease it pulled 9,000 lbs, even up hill. I wonder how the 5.0 would compare towing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Looking forward to a 250+ mile towing range in an all-electric 1/2 ton pickup. Whenever that mythical creature appears on dealer's lots...
Don't forget about the one hour time to refuel though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #142

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Looking forward to a 250+ mile towing range in an all-electric 1/2 ton pickup. Whenever that mythical creature appears on dealer's lots...

I can't understand why they don't use an electric motor as the "boost" instead of turbos. McLaren used the technology in their P1 for extra acceleration and torque (723 lb ft). You would have the best of both worlds with great gas mileage and an extra boost when going up hills without the "bad" gas mileage when the turbos are engaged.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #143

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
.............. I wonder how the 5.0 would compare towing.
Reace had the 5.0 litre and he wasn't impressed, I think he only had the truck for 3 months before he traded it in for an Ecoboost.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #144

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Reace had the 5.0 and he wasn't impressed, I think he only had the truck for 3 months before he traded it in for an Ecoboost.
Barry

So I'll be moving up in gas mileage if I get a 5.0....now I've got a 460 cu in big block...14 mpg empty vs perhaps 20+ would be great.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #145

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I can't understand why they don't use an electric motor as the "boost" instead of turbos. McLaren used the technology in their P1 for extra acceleration and torque (723 lb ft). You would have the best of both worlds with great gas mileage and an extra boost when going up hills without the "bad" gas mileage when the turbos are engaged.
Barry
🤔A big advantage of EcoBoost is the weight to horsepower ratio. Where you to take the same motor and removed the turbos, then added an electric motor and battery to bring the power back up you would wind up with a much heavier and I’d bet expensive package.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #146

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Reace had the 5.0 litre and he wasn't impressed, I think he only had the truck for 3 months before he traded it in for an Ecoboost.
Barry
I never actually talked to him about that, I just assumed he had the EB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
So I'll be moving up in gas mileage if I get a 5.0....now I've got a 460 cu in big block...14 mpg empty vs perhaps 20+ would be great.
I had a 460 in a 1 ton many years ago. Lots and lots of power, but no way I got that good of mileage, especially towing a work trailer. I would be lucky to get 10 mpg. Not sure what the axle ratio was, but it was designed for pulling, not speed.

My parents has a 460 in a Class B motorhome, and on any trip fuel costs were way more than half their budget, but that wee motorhome went like snot in the hills. My uncle travelled with them often with pretty much the same moho, but with a 400 engine, which was terribly underpowered and overall got no better mileage as his foot was to the floor most of the time. I had the 400 in a Ford LTD and it was a pig.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #147

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
I never actually talked to him about that, I just assumed he had the EB.

I had a 460 in a 1 ton many years ago. Lots and lots of power, but no way I got that good of mileage, especially towing a work trailer. I would be lucky to get 10 mpg. Not sure what the axle ratio was, but it was designed for pulling, not speed.

My parents has a 460 in a Class B motorhome, and on any trip fuel costs were way more than half their budget, but that wee motorhome went like snot in the hills. My uncle travelled with them often with pretty much the same moho, but with a 400 engine, which was terribly underpowered and overall got no better mileage as his foot was to the floor most of the time. I had the 400 in a Ford LTD and it was a pig.
You're right about the power....someone on this forum called it a freight train.....
Attached Thumbnails
062.jpg  
Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #148

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
I really appreciate this thread. It's been of great interest to me and helped me in my TV decision making. I like the new trucks especially the Fords. However after some soul searching I decided I'm not comfortable owning a gas vehicle with a turbo. A turbo adds a level of complexity for maintenance that I'm not sure I want to deal with nor do I want to rely on a dealer to do so. I’d rather have a basic motor and if I need a full size truck I’ll buy a V8. It’s just less to go wrong in my mind. Just my opinion…..YMMV. For those of you who have a turbo on your tow vehicle….I hope it runs a million miles trouble free. Thanks!
Great post. Just had words on another forum, and really appreciate the tone in this one. As one who disagrees with you technically, I can think of several reasons why you might be dead right, me quite wrong, and you poised to make a very good purchasing decision. Especially with the modern controls on both engine types.....
Old 01-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #149

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I really appreciate this thread. It's been of great interest to me and helped me in my TV decision making. I like the new trucks especially the Fords. However after some soul searching I decided I'm not comfortable owning a gas vehicle with a turbo. A turbo adds a level of complexity for maintenance that I'm not sure I want to deal with nor do I want to rely on a dealer to do so. I’d rather have a basic motor and if I need a full size truck I’ll buy a V8. It’s just less to go wrong in my mind. Just my opinion…..YMMV. For those of you who have a turbo on your tow vehicle….I hope it runs a million miles trouble free. Thanks!
When I was still working one of the company vehicles was an E350 Econoline Diesel with a turbo. It went out and wow was that thing a dog!!! I do not know if it was an expensive repair or what but they decided to replace it. I was stuck with it for about 6 weeks and we nicknamed it the snail. When you floored it pulling out onto the highway it was a long ways down the road before it crossed 60mph. Before it failed it had very brisk acceleration.
Needless to say I do not want a small displacement motor that uses a turbo to get out of its own way. But that is my own opinion.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:09 PM   #150

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
You're right about the power....someone on this forum called it a freight train.....
We have a folding cover over the bed really made a difference in mileage and prying eyes on our stuff in bed . It was only about 250. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #151

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My neighbor Tom up the street loves his brand new Ford F150. He tows his big toy hauler with it. It's a real beauty with great features, no question. We enjoy some friendly banter comparing trucks.

Early yesterday morning he needed to go shopping, stepped outside to the truck parked in front of his garage doors. Both front wheels were gone. Gone!

They were the factory stock wheels. The police said this truck is so popular, it's a real item for thieves. Tom has motion detector lighting on his garage. At about 2AM he did notice they were on, came out and nothing was amiss, so he chalked it up to a bird or animal triggering the lights. Police surmised the thieves must have scrammed soon as them lights came on, then simply returned for the wheels a few hours later.

They put scrap blocks found near the garage under the front axle, then let the air out of the front tires so they could pull the rims off. Tom never heard a thing. We live on a gravelly dirt road and I'm a light sleeper, and we never heard a thing.

How about this for an extra killer: Tom showed me the dealer invoice for two brand new rims he'll be getting next Tuesday, $1600.00 each!
Attached Thumbnails
F150a.jpg  
Old 01-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #152
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Well, that's what insurance is for I guess. Man do I hate thieves.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:26 PM   #153

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I have to wonder if the 136 litre tank must be standard here as I don't see it listed as an option. I did just check on the online copy of the window sticker I saved (I bought the truck off the lot), and it is listed on it but with no cost associated to it. Kinda like a block heater, something standard in all new vehicles here.
It's probably still like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
In the U.S. for the F-150 the larger tank is optional; I wouldn't be surprised if dealers choose to include it in their orders for trucks with payload and towing packages - that would be the sensible choice. In Canada, there is no choice (or was no choice when I checked in the 2016 model year): 4X4 gets the bigger tank (except the shortest wheelbase) and 4X2 get the smaller tank... the size can't be specified as an option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:45 PM   #154

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Well, that's what insurance is for I guess. Man do I hate thieves.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #155

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
That's the description of a gas/electric hybrid. There are a few high-performance hybrids in production - not just McLaren's P1 - but none currently as pickup trucks. The GM Two-Mode pickups were only produced for model years 2009-2013, but you can still get one used; unfortunately, it comes with a now-obsolete engine. EscapeForum member EDarby tows (or towed?) with one, in the SUV version.

By the way, since the 2014 season, all Formula One race cars are turbocharged gas-electric hybrids, using the boost from the battery to accelerate rather than to climb hills, of course. The electric motor in these cars adds a 120 kW (160 hp) boost... for a few seconds, limited by the battery capacity. It certainly works.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #156

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
So, if I ever decide I can live with a pickup truck, which engine do you think I should get, Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #157

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
So, if I ever decide I can live with a pickup truck, which engine do you think I should get, Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB?

If this thread convinced you to turn toward the light and get a Ford F150 then it was all worth while . From this point forward the engine choice is only a minor issue.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #158

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If this thread convinced you to turn toward the light and get a Ford F150 then it was all worth while . From this point forward the engine choice is only a minor issue.
Could you share with us again which F150 EB it is that you own and which Escape trailer?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #159
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
[emoji23]

Glenn, the 2.7L is going bye bye after 2018. They gave it port and direct injection and redesigned a few other things for it's farewell. I ordered it for my 2018, having been so impressed with it on the 2015. Those with the 3.5L Ecoboost report tremendous power and torque, with a little less gas mileage. If you can be convinced in THIS model year however, I heartily endorse the 2.7L.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #160

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Could you share with us again which F150 EB it is that's you own and which Escape trailer?
Happy New Years and may 2018 bring you great joy.!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote