How To Winterize a Trailer - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #121
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 7,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I have a device I bought at Campingworld that screws onto the water intake and has a quick connect on the other end for an air hose. Makes it a one person job. I have a tank and dual compressors on my truck. Set the pressure and I'm in business.
It's funny if you watch the ETI winterizing video above the first thing he does is toss that cheap plastic schrader style blow out plug to the side and hook up a quick connect! As pointed out by Jon these can either be made or purchased.
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #122
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bonney Lake, Washington
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do not forget to release the fresh water supply pressure by removing the mesh filter and push the pressure release plastic pin. Pictures later
Hi Jim...can you elaborate on this? Does water get trapped on the trailer side of the valve somehow? Is this more important if you use air to winterize vs antifreeze?

I winterize with antifreeze using a 3 way valve. I think antifreeze backs up into the fresh water (city water) supply line during the process. The way I figured this out was when I de-winterized. I filled my fresh tank with water and then ran all the faucets and toilet until clear water flowed out. Then I hooked up and turned on a water hose to the fresh water (city water) line and opened the kitchen trailer faucet. A little bit more pink antifreeze ran out before it became clear again. I assume this was antifreeze that had worked it's way into the city water supply line when I winterized?
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #123
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 7,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun View Post
Hi Jim...can you elaborate on this? Does water get trapped on the trailer side of the valve somehow? Is this more important if you use air to winterize vs antifreeze?

I winterize with antifreeze using a 3 way valve. I think antifreeze backs up into the fresh water (city water) supply line during the process. The way I figured this out was when I de-winterized. I filled my fresh tank with water and then ran all the faucets and toilet until clear water flowed out. Then I hooked up and turned on a water hose to the fresh water (city water) line and opened the kitchen trailer faucet. A little bit more pink antifreeze ran out before it became clear again. I assume this was antifreeze that had worked it's way into the city water supply line when I winterized?
Not Jim but if you winterize with air or pump in your antifreeze via the outside hose connection (some do it with manual pump) then you are obviously clearing that section of line between the city water check valve and pump so it is moot. Pressing the check valve in to clear that section of line is just good measure when winterizing with antifreeze using a winterizing tee valve (or pulling from fresh tank) since you are pushing against existing water in that line. Just remove the screen and gently push in until you see pink. Done. (This is a carry over habit for some that may have watched the old Scamp winterizing video - screenshot attached). I'll be honest though - many people never do this and don't have a problem since the antifreeze should mix with the remaining water in that section of line and prevent issues. Also doing this is not required if you have an older trailer with a low point drain and use it to empty the system of water before winterizing. That section of line should drain with the rest of the plumbing.
Attached Thumbnails
city water valve.JPG  
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #124
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I use a small portable air compressor by Lowe’s brand Kobalt. It locks on the nipple of the adaptor and you can dial pressure you want not exceed. Worked great . Cheap, as I own batteries for other tools in the system .
Ryobi has one, too. Which makes me wonder if my tire pump would work the same way.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #125
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Also doing this is not required if you have an older trailer with a low point drain and use it to empty the system of water before winterizing. That section of line should drain with the rest of the plumbing.

I was thinking this step is actually a hold-over from when trailers (like mine ) were equipped with the low-point drain. If you push antifreeze or air through that back flow valve there should be no water to freeze. If you have and use a low-point drain, an ounce of water remains at the valve because there is no venting.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #126
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 2,255
i have some/small amount of water in my grey tank /black tank- OK not to dump when winterizing ? its hard to do from home they are big tanks
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #127
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bonney Lake, Washington
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
... I'll be honest though - many people never do this and don't have a problem since the antifreeze should mix with the remaining water in that section of line and prevent issues. Also doing this is not required if you have an older trailer with a low point drain and use it to empty the system of water before winterizing. That section of line should drain with the rest of the plumbing.
Thanks! I think what you said above is what is happening in my case...the antifreeze is mixing with the water in the city water supply line. Next time I will use the low point drain first to make sure there is no water in the city water supply line.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:35 AM   #128
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Kent, Ohio
Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Ryobi has one, too. Which makes me wonder if my tire pump would work the same way.
The kobalt lets you dial in the desired pressure, I’m not sure if the Ryobi does.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #129
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Posts: 280
Quote:
<Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I use a small portable air compressor by Lowe’s brand Kobalt. It locks on the nipple of the adaptor and you can dial pressure you want not exceed. Worked great . Cheap, as I own batteries for other tools in the system .

Ryobi has one, too. Which makes me wonder if my tire pump would work the same way.>

I do the same with my Makita 18 volt portable air compressor. The chuck locks on to the nipple of the city water's plastic Schrader adapter and I run a piece of black tape around the handle to hold the trigger on.

It probably wouldn't hurt to set the air pressure to 30 psi or so in case you turned on the compressor with every water valve closed. I then go around the trailer and turn on valves one by one until all the water is blown out. I find more water comes out of the outside shower fixture than other valves, perhaps because it's lower than the inside faucets and the toilet valve.

PS. Don't forget before blowing out the lines to empty the hot water tank and reinstall the anode/plug; and empty the fresh water tank and run the pump until water stops coming out of an open faucet.

We only use about half a gallon of the pink stuff for the sinks and bath floor drain.

Here's a question: What's the purpose of the valve near the toilet that shuts off toilet water? I left the valve open so I could pull the toilet lever when blowing out the lines and don't understand the need for the toilet shutoff valve.

Thanks

Ed
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #130
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 7,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
Here’s a question: What's the purpose of the valve near the toilet that shuts off toilet water? I left the valve open so I could pull the toilet lever when blowing out the lines and don't understand the need for the toilet shutoff valve.
It’s for if you ever have an issue with the toilet flush valve. You can isolate and still keep the rest of your water system operational. Nothing to do with winterizing.
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #131
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Posts: 26,268
If you look at your home plumbing set up you should see a shut off valve for each water using appliance. That way it can be isolated when replacing in lieu of shutting down the entire house.
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #132
Senior Member
 
Chotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Naugatuck, Connecticut
Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i have some/small amount of water in my grey tank /black tank- OK not to dump when winterizing ? its hard to do from home they are big tanks
The black and gray tanks, IMHO, should be empty. The last thing I want to freeze and break are the waste gates. I use blow out method to winterize so I usually wind up with a bit of water going into toilet. I catch any water from the sinks in a container. After all lines are cleared, before adding antifreeze to the traps I drain the black and gray into a bucket (be sure you know your tanks are basically empty or it won’t be pretty &#128563. I then just dump bucket in my home toilet. Then I add the antifreeze to the traps, adding extra so that some gets into tank and will dilute any water that may still be in there and dump a quart into toilet. Sounds more complicated than it is 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #133
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Posts: 2,743
I asked awhile back about why you bypass the hot water tank. I get it with the antifreeze method where you suck air into the fresh water system-sort of.

Why do you bypass the hot water tank when winterizing with compressed air? it seems like you'd end up with some water left in the hot water tank that way. You are only putting antifreeze in the drains.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #134
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Posts: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I asked awhile back about why you bypass the hot water tank. I get it with the antifreeze method where you suck air into the fresh water system-sort of.

Why do you bypass the hot water tank when winterizing with compressed air? it seems like you'd end up with some water left in the hot water tank that way. You are only putting antifreeze in the drains.
Any time your trailer is not going to be used for an extended period, the hot water tank anode rod should be removed. Once you remove the anode rod, the hot water heater will drain. The anode rod should be left removed until the trailer is put back in service.

So, bypass the hot water heater, remove the anode rod, and the hot water heater is winterized. Removing the anode rod should be part of winterizing with compressed air.
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Engineers believe in fixing it so that it never breaks.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:33 AM   #135
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Any time your trailer is not going to be used for an extended period, the hot water tank anode rod should be removed. Once you remove the anode rod, the hot water heater will drain. The anode rod should be left removed until the trailer is put back in service.

So, bypass the hot water heater, remove the anode rod, and the hot water heater is winterized. Removing the anode rod should be part of winterizing with compressed air.
The Escape info says "reinstall the anode rod" as part of the process. But it does make sense to leave it out. https://escapetrailer.com/winterizing-your-escape/
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #136
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,136
I reinstall the anode as per instructions. If there is no water in the heater, there is nothing for the anode to react with. Putting it back prevents foreign objects from entering and ... you know where you left the anode.
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #137
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 7,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I asked awhile back about why you bypass the hot water tank. I get it with the antifreeze method where you suck air into the fresh water system-sort of.

Why do you bypass the hot water tank when winterizing with compressed air? it seems like you'd end up with some water left in the hot water tank that way. You are only putting antifreeze in the drains.
It makes sense to bypass because you don't want to have to fill that 6 gallon volume with air as it will hinder you building system pressure until it is completely full. Depending on the volumetric flowrate (CFM) of your compressed air source this can be inconvenient. The hot water tank can simply be drained by relieving the pressure via the safety valve and removing the anode. Any little bit of water remaining has plenty of room to expand and will not cause an issue. Put the anode aside or put it back in - either way you will be fine. Some like to put it back in to keep the threads from rusting or so they don't misplace it. The only thing you definitely don't want is antifreeze in the water heater with the anode submerged.
Attached Thumbnails
Suburban SW6D(E) winterizing.JPG  
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #138
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It makes sense to bypass because you don't want to have to fill that 6 gallon volume with air as it will hinder you building system pressure until it is completely full. Depending on the volumetric flowrate (CFM) of your compressed air source this can be inconvenient. The hot water tank can simply be drained by relieving the pressure via the safety valve and removing the anode. Any little bit of water remaining has plenty of room to expand and will not cause an issue. Put the anode aside or put it back in - either way you will be fine. Some like to put it back in to keep the threads from rusting or so they don't misplace it. The only thing you definitely don't want is antifreeze in the water heater with the anode submerged.
That makes sense, thanks.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #139
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Posts: 26,268
I found a nice wine bottle cork that fits the water heater opening.........
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #140
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 17,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I found a nice wine bottle cork that fits the water heater opening.........

And what did you do with the anode? What did you do?
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.