"The Trailer" is home! - Page 16 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #301

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
How about a barrister bookcase-style flip up, slide in door (see example in link below). You'd lose an inch or so at the top, but nothing on the sides and nothing to hit your head on when open.
Barrister Bookcase Door Slides - Rockler Woodworking Tools
ETI could make the wooden door part of it for you to make sure it would fit and match in components and color. Then you just buy the hardware and install.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #302

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
How about a bookcase style flip up, slide in door (see example in link below). You'd lose an inch or so at the top, but nothing on the sides and nothing to hit your head on when open.
Another good idea. Not sure why I didn't realize this as I sit here looking right at my own barrister bookcase. Probably easier than the tambour.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #303

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Toilet paper holder

Okay, so where all does it go in the 21? They supplied some screws and we installed it under the sink on the outside wall as there didn't seem to be any other place to put it. Inside wall would interfere with passage in and out of the bathroom.. Damn screws went right through the side of the trailer!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?

Not too impressed here.

Guess the trailer is now broken in.

Dirk put some silicone sealant over it and later on I'll cover it up with one of my vinyl graphics I have.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #304

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Not sure why I didn't realize this as I sit here looking right at my own barrister bookcase. Probably easier than the tambour.
Didn't know these types of doors have names. Learn something new every day. Thank you.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #305

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Okay, so where all does it go in the 21?
I thought ETI installed it during orientation so you could tell them where you wanted it?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #306

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I thought ETI installed it during orientation so you could tell them where you wanted it?
Yes. They did ours.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #307

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Okay, so where all does it go in the 21? They supplied some screws and we installed it under the sink on the outside wall as there didn't seem to be any other place to put it. Inside wall would interfere with passage in and out of the bathroom.. Damn screws went right through the side of the trailer!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?

Not too impressed here.

Guess the trailer is now broken in.

Dirk put some silicone sealant over it and later on I'll cover it up with one of my vinyl graphics I have.
I am confused, what does WTF stand for? I am not very savvy on abbreviations so don't usually use them myself?
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #308

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
We had asked them not to since we weren't going to get the sink. However, we had to get the sink in the 21. They installed the showerhead mount that we didn't want installed. I wasn't sure where either of them would go without the sink. During orientation I was pretty peeved about the non-full wrap dinette cushions that I completely forgot to ask them to install the TP roll. I figured there wouldn't be any problems installing it. Wrong!

So, if you have a 21, where exactly is it installed? None of the pictures I took at ETI show that roll; it might not even be in their demo trailer for all I know.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I am confused, what does WTF stand for? I am not very savvy on abbreviations so don't usually use them myself?
Dave
Google it. I could get kicked off if I spelled it all out.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #310

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
We had asked them not to since we weren't going to get the sink. However, we had to get the sink in the 21. They installed the showerhead mount that we didn't want installed. I wasn't sure where either of them would go without the sink. During orientation I was pretty peeved about the non-full wrap dinette cushions that I completely forgot to ask them to install the TP roll. I figured there wouldn't be any problems installing it. Wrong!

So, if you have a 21, where exactly is it installed? None of the pictures I took at ETI show that roll; it might not even be in their demo trailer for all I know.
Between toilet and sink on the outside wall.

Major bummer to have the screws go through.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #311

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Dave
Can tell you it does NOT stand for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. It's What The... followed by a four letter word.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #312

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Another alternative would be a tambour door. You would lose a bit of usable width due to the track but the door would be completely out of the way.
Quote:
How about a barrister bookcase-style flip up, slide in door (see example in link below). You'd lose an inch or so at the top, but nothing on the sides and nothing to hit your head on when open.
I like both of these ideas, especially the rigid door (to avoid loss of width), although both cost some height.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #313
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
ETI could make the wooden door part of it for you to make sure it would fit and match in components and color. Then you just buy the hardware and install.
I have used these exact slides restoring some lawyer bookcase stacks made in the 1800s. It would take a lot of attention to the top profile of the door to insure it would make the transition to the curve for the upper track. Not impossible, but a bit tricky. You would also need to come up with some means of restraining the closed door as the bottom would open up at the slightest outward pressure. It would also swing free during travel.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #314

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
They supplied some screws and we installed it under the sink on the outside wall as there didn't seem to be any other place to put it. Inside wall would interfere with passage in and out of the bathroom.. Damn screws went right through the side of the trailer!!! WTF?!?!?!?!?
I'm not sure what you were expecting, since you were surprised, but there is no empty space between the trailer wall and the bathroom liner, just the thickness of insulating wall lining.

This would be the case anywhere on the outside wall or ceiling that is covered by visible lining, rather than a cabinet - even in the back of cabinets - unless that section happens to be one with additional core material in the fiberglass shell for stiffness. That's how single-wall moulded fiberglass trailers are built, and part of the nickname of "eggs" for these trailers - it's not just the egg shape, but the eggshell construction.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #315
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
We mounted ours on the bottom of the overhead cabinet next to the sink & stripper pole. I put some plywood in the cabinet to anchor with long screws.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #316

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've looked at those cupboard slides and decided the apparatus itself takes up too much space.
Attached Thumbnails
wheel well 2.jpg  
Old 12-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #317

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
We mounted ours on the bottom of the overhead cabinet next to the sink & stripper pole. I put some plywood in the cabinet to anchor with long screws.
She is asking about the toilet paper roll so I couldn't figure out this answer!

I wonder how ETI installs it --- the toilet paper roll --- so as not to have the screws go through the fiberglass. Would think screws supplied should be the correct length not to have that happen. That is what she is saying, I believe.

By the way, ours was already installed before pick-up. Some people ask to place such things where they want when they arrive, such as we did with one of our three counter extensions. She had asked for the toilet paper roll to not be installed because of the previous sink situation.

Oh, I won't even ask which way the roll is going to go.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #318

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The screws were probably packaged by the manufacturer of the toilet paper holder. Not up to ETI to guess what you are going to do with it.
When I installed my magnetic knife holder I considered that I did not want the screws to stick out inside the shower. So, I used double sided tape and I cut down the screws so that they only pierced the wall panel.
It's the old "measure twice, cut once".
Attached Thumbnails
knife holder.jpg  
Old 12-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I wonder how ETI installs it --- the toilet paper roll --- so as not to have the screws go through the fiberglass. Would think screws supplied should be the correct length not to have that happen. That is what she is saying, I believe.

Oh, I won't even ask which way the roll is going to go.
which way the roll goes has already been discussed.

I used the screws they supplied which were white with a square cut out to it - same as all the others used in the bathroom. Since they supplied the screws, I thought those would be the ones we needed to use. That's why I was surprised they went through the trailer. It never occurred to us they would be too long.

We're headed out there now so I'll snap a photo of where it's at.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #320

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The screws were probably packaged by the manufacturer of the toilet paper holder. Not up to ETI to guess what you are going to do with it.
When I installed my magnetic knife holder I considered that I did not want the screws to stick out inside the shower. So, I used double sided tape and I cut down the screws so that they only pierced the wall panel.
It's the old "measure twice, cut once".
Looks like a nice assortment of blades. I notice the Rapala filet knife right off. I have one of those and it's been good to me for about 40 years. Nice setup
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote