New member introduction - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 with a September 2022 completion date.
New member introduction

Hello from Placerville California. As a fairly new member to this forum who has spent a considerable amount of time reading threads I felt its time to introduce myself.
I have a long history of backpacking coupled with 5 years of trailer camping in a Casita 17. This June I placed a deposit on a E19 with a late September 2022 completion date. The E19 is big enough yet small enough for my 65% boon-docking and 35% parks and campground excursions. I'm aware new ETI trailers may come with little effective warranty and no dealer service but I remain optimistic that most issues can be resolved or avoided. I feel ETI makes a good fiberglass trailer for the dollars we spend and remain confident I've made the right choice. Time will tell how ETI's increased production schedule, product selections and assembly methods reflects on our safety and quality after delivery.
I hope to enter my spring or early summer 2022 configuration process with a well thought out plan for my intended modifications.
In all likelihood my current plans will change with so many, many things to think about.
POWER CORD - Intend on installing a 30 amp Smart Plug. Will ask ETI not to install standard outlet box with no cutout exit hole. Just leave to cord coiled under the bed.
COOKTOP - Thinking about asking ETI to credit me for the Dometic, not to cutout the counter top and install a Dickenson or Induction myself.
STANDARD MANUAL TONGUE JACK - Plan to replace it with a Trailer Valet hand crank with a removeable handle that accommodates a power drill. Need max truck tailgate clearance. Two of our Three rescue dogs occasionally go boon docking.
KITCHEN SINK - Thinking about a composite Elkay sink and asking ETI not to cut out the counter top opening.
AIR CONDITIONER - My plan is to install a mini split system and request no roof air conditioner cut out. Need additional roof space for solar panels. I like ETI's front storage box but need the compressor space. Forum members who have installed the mini split systems how are they holding up to travel, road vibrations, flex in lines etc. ? I hired a HVAC contractor to assist me in installing a mini split system in my home last year and love it.
SOLAR - After reading many threads in this forum I'm leaning towards installing my own mounting system and panels. I need to get some E19 roof drawings to work out how many watts I can fit into the available space. I do not know if ETI solar prewire sizing is OK.
BATTERY - Thinking about just the standard single battery for delivery. I'm targeting 400 Ah Lithium battery capacity. I have read on the forums about the 400 Ah Bestgo that sounds promising. I hope the costs keep coming down in the lithium arena. As I age the available funds seem to be getting tighter.
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM - Don't know what wiring scheme would work best with my modifications. Should I have ETI install their basic wiring, outlets, electrical management system with surge protection. Then I select and install inverter, charge controller, transfer switch, battery disconnect and monitor additional solar port etc. This forum has a tremendous amount of great ideas and innovative solutions. Electrical engineering is outside my skillset however layout, installation and assembly I can handle. Help and suggestions from this community is most welcome. Hoping my planning stage is well thought out. Then I can take my time and enjoy the implementation.
SELECTING TWO WAY HOT WATER TANK
TANK LEVEL MONITORING - Undecided about level II leaning to my own upgrade at a later date.
SELECTING U SHAPED DINETTE WITH LAGUN ADJUSTABLE SWIVELING TABLE MOUNT - Goal is to provide more space for the electrical components and battery under the dinette seating. The flat floor area is a plus for our little 40 lb. rescued dog "Button" she loves to lay at our feet.
SELECTING 2 LED CAPTAINS READING LIGHTS
FRIDGE - Undecided on standard or compressor. If compressor thinking about not cutting out the lower fridge vent. Have read so many issues with different dometic models I'm leaning towards the compressor perhaps isotherm. I haven't researched ETI's compressor model.
SELECTING STANDARD LAVITORY
SELECTING BODY LIFT KIT - Had one on my Casita. Only needed it 4 or 5 times however when I did need it I was glad I had it. I don't expect to take the E19 where I took to Casita 17.
SELECTING STANDARD MANUAL AWNING
NOT SELECTING STORAGE BOX - Need the space for the mini split compressor. Still thinking about compressor and propane tank support and configuration. The storage box is one of the features that attracted me to Escape and now I want to delete it!!
SELECTING ADDITIONAL LED FRONT AND REAR EXTERIOR LIGHTS
CABINET DOOR ON END OF DINETTE BENCH - Depends on battery and electrical equipment placement.
SELECTING FRAMELESS WINDOWS WITH KITCHEN ADDITION - Still undecided on bathroom window. The ability to vent in the rain vs cross ventilation was a tough call. I'm aware of the manual awning and frameless window restrictions. Give a little loose a little.
HITCH - Considering the revised Anderson or e2 by Fastway. Need to be able to easily disconnect and toss into the back of my pickup. At 72 I can still handle the weight but given the choice I'll go lighter every time.

My wife has a few more years she wants to work. I'm retired and have some time to enjoy modifying the E19. Nowadays if you own a trailer you better be able to maintain it.

It will be nice meeting the escape family, attending rallies, making new friends and discussing modifications. All I need now is a road worthy Escape trailer.

Kirk
Kirk D in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
We went from about $2,000 worth of options on our 5.0 to almost $10,000 4 months later. Lol
And we're getting it on the 27th of this month.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #3

8K worth of changes in 4 months. Sounds like a lot of icing on the cake. Now only a few days left before you blow out the candles and party with you new Escape 5.0.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk D in CA View Post
COOKTOP - Thinking about asking ETI to credit me for the Dometic, not to cutout the counter top and install a Dickenson or Induction myself.

AIR CONDITIONER - My plan is to install a mini split system and request no roof air conditioner cut out. Need additional roof space for solar panels. I like ETI's front storage box but need the compressor space. Forum members who have installed the mini split systems how are they holding up to travel, road vibrations, flex in lines etc. ? I hired a HVAC contractor to assist me in installing a mini split system in my home last year and love it.
Welcome. Your experience and research shows in your selections. Regarding the above I can say you will not regret the Dickinson cooktop. Top quality appliance. I’m sure you’ve probably seen my custom A/C thread where I installed a 9,000 BTUH mini-split in 2016. Still going strong. Whisper quiet heating, cooling and dehumidifying and I can now even run it off my 2000W inverter tied to Bestgo 400AH lithium battery. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcome. I have read your custom A/C thread and it shows how well thought out your modifications are. Very encouraging to hear A/C is still going strong. When I installed my home mini split good flares and possible leaks were always a concern. Its been a year since my home mini split install with no problems and very quiet. I'll start researching compressors again next week. Your install sounds like 9,000 BTU is plenty for my E19. Think ETI might install a upper cabinet frame above the dinette? I was thinking about multiple Battleborne 100AH lithium's until I came across Your thread on the Bestgo 400 AH lithium. Is your 2000W inverter a Victron? I will have to go back and read your thread again. I'm Shure the questions will come so thanks for the offer.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:49 PM   #6

Great to hear from another Placerville resident. I'm out on the Middle fork of the Cosumnes river. The Caldor fire came within 4 miles of our home but mainly moved towards Lake Tahoe. We were packed and ready to evacuate. Thankfully our warning has been lifted.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk D in CA View Post
I'll start researching compressors again next week. Your install sounds like 9,000 BTU is plenty for my E19. Think ETI might install a upper cabinet frame above the dinette?

I was thinking about multiple Battleborne 100AH lithium's until I came across Your thread on the Bestgo 400 AH lithium. Is your 2000W inverter a Victron?
9,000 is plenty. Don’t want to oversize or you won’t dehumidify well. It’s AHRI certified. Who knows what the untested rooftop units are actually producing. The Fujitsu I used can actually produce from 1700 to 10,700 BTUH with inverter compressor. Got 5 hours runtime off the Bestgo lithium in full sun with temps at 86-93F during a test. Took it from 95% to 30% SOC. No solar contribution. Inverter is a Xantrex Freedom XC 2000. It’s a combination 2000W inverter/80A charger/30A transfer switch with a lot of great features.

Speak to Escape about cabinetry. The full cabinet in the front of a 19 was a custom request by the first owner of our trailer back in 2009. Not sure if they’ll do it now. You could probably still install with just a shelf.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Welcome, Kirk, from another Placerville dweller.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Quote:
STANDARD MANUAL TONGUE JACK - Plan to replace it with a Trailer Valet hand crank with a removeable handle that accommodates a power drill. Need max truck tailgate clearance. Two of our Three rescue dogs occasionally go boon docking.
Welcome! Reading through your options has me wondering now if we too will need to go with a manual tongue jack (or trailer valet hand crank). We will be towing our 21NE with our 2006 sequoia and want to be able to open the rear hatch to let our dog in the back. The rear hatch swings upward so I'm wondering if it will the part of the electric jack that sticks out a bit.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
Welcome! Reading through your options has me wondering now if we too will need to go with a manual tongue jack (or trailer valet hand crank). We will be towing our 21NE with our 2006 sequoia and want to be able to open the rear hatch to let our dog in the back. The rear hatch swings upward so I'm wondering if it will the part of the electric jack that sticks out a bit.
I cant speak to your clearance issue but I got my information on the Trailer Valet hand crank from this forum. I thought it would be a very good option for me and my dogs.