Adding A 100 Watt Flexible with 170 Watt Go Power Panel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Adding A 100 Watt Flexible with 170 Watt Go Power Panel

We have a 170 watt Go Power panel on our 5.0. Works great, except when the rear end of our 5.0 is facing north. On a 5.0 the roof is angled towards the rear, so the angle added to the problem. For example, when we were in Death Valley last winter our camper was perfectly north/south with the rear facing north. The panel was shaded by the air conditioner, so for an entire week we had to milk our existing ah's. When we left we were down 80 ah's, the lowest we've ever been down. Luckily we had the Martin catalytic heater so didn't need to run the ah hungry furnace.

When we purchased the 5.0 I did not like the front mounted solar panel. The front is angled down and would definitely be in the airstream. Now after reading about the failure of a front panel I want a rigid panel even less.

We want to add a flexible panel to the front of our 5.0 to get solar when the rear of our camper is facing north, but the front is facing south at a positive angle. My understanding is we want to match as close as possible the specs of the flexible to the rigid panel. This is one area my being dyslexic sucks.

There are tow MC4 connectors on the roof to add another panel.

I've included the Go Power specs below. What should I look for in a flexible to properly match the Go Power and get the most watts out of the system.

Thanks,

Perry

Old 10-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you are going to wire the added panel in parallel (required if you are going to stick with the GoPower solar controller, and recommended in your possible shading situation), then matching the "Rated DC Voltage" will result in the most output. Most panels use Vmp for this rating. A volt either way won't hurt, but the closer, the better.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Subscribed to follow and learn.

Do you have the ETI standard PWM controller (as opposed to an MPPT controller)?

I'm interested to learn if that bears on gaining maximum 'harvest' with an array of panels having different 'spec' outputs or different 'realized' outputs (due to shading. poor angle,etc).

(the learning continues )
Old 10-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Subscribed to follow and learn.

Do you have the ETI standard PWM controller (as opposed to an MPPT controller)?

I'm interested to learn if that bears on gaining maximum 'harvest' with an array of panels having different 'spec' outputs or different 'realized' outputs (due to shading. poor angle,etc).

(the learning continues )
We actually have the stock (2018) Go Power PWM controller hooked to our Go Power 170 watt panel, and have a Victron 100/20 MPPT controller hooked to our Renogy 100 watt portable panel. Both go through the shunt to our Victron BMV-712. Northern Arizona Wind and Sun advised us on this setup.

I can switch the two controllers around if I wish, but that's down on the Honeydew list.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Ah, gotchya, I keep forgetting that panels / PV arrays can have multiple controllers all feeding a common bus / battery array. Thanks!