Propane Tank Puzzlement - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm aware of those tanks and the Lite Cylinder composite tanks that came before and were recalled. I'm still asking about an accurate gauge. And I'm guessing there isn't one at any price.
I have not tried one in about 8 years, but the one I had then was not real accurate. The level varied with outside temperature, I guess affecting pressure in the tank?

Pouring warm water over the tanks works great, but I guess that is out one with the enclosed tanks in the 5.0TA. Darn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You'd be surprised how many long time campers still think the lever does the switching.
Actually no. I bet I have helped out at least a dozen others when out camping to better understand how that works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Ah, the lever only gauges propane pressure in a tank, as indicated by the red/green window color. Plays no role in controlling flow. So in this picture though the lever points to the right tank, since both tanks are closed the indicators indicate red, meaning no pressure detected. Got it.
Never too young to learn, eh Myron.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Correct. The design is simple, but perhaps a little misleading.
If I had a dollar for every simple concept I had trouble grasping, I would already be retired.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... it is good to know which one was last being used, so that you turn it on first when reopening the valves, thus drawing from the same tank which will be partly used, and not starting in on the full tank yet.
Not quite. The lever points to the "primary tank". Which tank you turn on first is irrelevant. So long as you always open both tanks, the one that the lever is pointing towards will be drawn from first - and the gauge will show green - until it is empty.
When the gauge turns red, your primary tank is empty and propane is being used from your "secondary tank". The one the handle is pointing away from.
Then you flip the lever, turning that one into the primary tank, and refill your empty one, which becomes the secondary tank until you flip the lever again (which would be illogical to do until your other tank becomes empty).
KLRchickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This tank gauge supposedly measures the liquid, not the pressure, so with the valve closed, you can still read the gauge.....https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...+tank+gauge+rv
Old 03-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRchickie View Post
Not quite. The lever points to the "primary tank". Which tank you turn on first is irrelevant. So long as you always open both tanks, the one that the lever is pointing towards will be drawn from first - and the gauge will show green - until it is empty.
I had it explained a few years ago as I described, by someone on this forum. Using your description, say the lever was pointed at the right tank, and if you turned the left tank on leaving the right tank closed, it would not draw from the left tank, correct? This is of course assuming there is at least some propane in the left tank.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Quote:
I had it explained a few years ago as I described, by someone on this forum. Using your description, say the lever was pointed at the right tank, and if you turned the left tank on leaving the right tank closed, it would not draw from the left tank, correct? This is of course assuming there is at least some propane in the left tank.
See the part I bolded, in my post quoted above.

If you turn on only one tank, it will draw from that tank if there is propane in it. The gauge & switchover valve become irrelevant at that point.

There are a heck of a lot of misconceptions about the functioning of the gauge & valve. Ours failed at the beginning of the second season with our trailer, in the process of dealing with it I did a LOT of research, and finally found a GOOD consensus on how it actually works.
It makes a good attempt at being idiot proof - having the primary tank become the one you opened first each time would not be idiot proof - it would have a good chance of making said idiot end up with two empty propane tanks at the same time!!!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #27

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Thanks for the comments. Still a bit confused here.

Should I check the levels with the tanks opened or closed? Will that make a difference?

When I turn on the propane, I open both tanks. I close 'em both while driving and while it's parked here at the house.

I'll check the tanks again later today.

Oh, do I need to remove the tank(s) to get them filled?
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

Should I check the levels with the tanks opened or closed? Will that make a difference?
On our trailer, we do not have a means of checking the level of propane in the tanks. I check the tanks after pretty much every outing - but I am checking to see that we are still using the primary tank & haven't switched over. For us, knowing that we have a FULL tank in reserve is sufficient - we use the trailer most weekends all summer, without having hookups, and always go several months before having to fill a tank.

My method is to uncover the tanks & open them both. If the gauge is green, we're still using the tank the lever is pointing to, and I know I always keep the secondary tank filled. If I feel particularly paranoid that day, I may undo the hold-down mechanism & lift the secondary tank to make sure it is still heavy - indicating it is in fact still full.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
This is what I do, because I'm more than a little dense, and for me, it is the most simple, IQ validating method...

I only have one valve open at a time, and when that tank goes empty, I shut the valve and open the other valve. That way, as long as my failing memory does not fail, I know I gotta at some point take the empty tank out and refill it.

I tried to grasp the concept of open valves and green and red levels, but you know...I'm no rocket scientist...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Start at 34:15 for a decent primer on the auto changeover valve

Orientation Video
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 17B
Well, not quite. I had only one tank open and was using the propane for the heater. Ran out of heat in the middle of the night. Switched to the other tank and had heat again. However, when i went to fill the tanks later, the first tank was quite full. I learned here that both tanks need to be open for the regulator to work. No problem since I've been keeping to that.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #32

Quote:
If you turn on only one tank, it will draw from that tank if there is propane in it. The gauge & switchover valve become irrelevant at that point.
So, in this situation with the first tank operating, yet the lever pointed to the other tank, when you open this other tank valve would switch over automatically to the one one opened second (with the lever pointed to it). If this is the case, I previously was misinformed here. I tried to find this thread, but can't.

This does make sense though, and if it is the case (and I do believe it is), I just got a bit smarter, and hopefully for the last time too.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #33

Quote:
So, in this situation with the first tank operating, yet the lever pointed to the other tank, when you open this other tank valve would switch over automatically to the one one opened second (with the lever pointed to it).
Yes!!!

Quote:

If this is the case, I previously was misinformed here. I tried to find this thread, but can't.

This does make sense though, and if it is the case, I just got smarter, and hopefully for the last time.
Never stop learning!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #34

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This tank gauge supposedly measures the liquid, not the pressure, so with the valve closed, you can still read the gauge.....https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YS...+tank+gauge+rv

These tanks with float gauges are great. I've had them for 18 months and I love them! I bought mine from Wally World for just over $30, but I recently saw them at Costco for $25. Don't leave home without them.

I also have pressure gauges on the propane lines, they're only useful for telling me propane is getting out of the tank. I have been known to open a propane valve too quickly and actuating the check valve. Talk about one confused camper!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just don't waste money on one of these. My buddy picked up a couple at Costco to use on our BBQ tanks. We both determined that we were not getting the same flow of propane to the burners and tossed them out.
Attached Thumbnails
propane gas gauge.jpg  
Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Has anyone found any built-in gauge to be accurate? At any price? Getting the tanks in and out on Ten Forward is a bit of a PITA. I'd buy a gauge(s) if I thought they worked well....
Yes. The built-in gauges in horizontal tanks are as accurate as the gas gauge in your truck; the built-in gauges in vertical tanks are not as good, but they're fine for the purpose.

These are the gauges in the Manchester SureFlame and Worthington cylinder with gauge (or the same thing labeled with other brands such as Bernzomatic). The pressure gauges which are added on to a tank do not indicate level, so you can't just buy a gauge and screw it onto the tank outlet to get a level indication.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #37

Quote:
I have not tried one in about 8 years, but the one I had then was not real accurate. The level varied with outside temperature, I guess affecting pressure in the tank?
If the gauge responded to temperature significantly, or to pressure at all, it was not a level gauge.

This is an actual level gauge, operated by the same float which runs the OPD valve:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
(FlameKing is a marketing brand, not a manufacturer; that one looks like a Worthington tank and gauge.)
This is a pressure gauge, which does not indicate level:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Just don't waste money on one of these. My buddy picked up a couple at Costco to use on our BBQ tanks. We both determined that we were not getting the same flow of propane to the burners and tossed them out.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #38

Quote:
The red/green indication on the auto-changeover device in the regulator does not tell you much about the level... only a yes/no indication of whether there is any propane in the tank or not. It doesn't tell you anything at all about a tank unless the tank valve is open.

Quote:
When I turn on the propane, I open both tanks. I close 'em both while driving and while it's parked here at the house.
That works fine.

Quote:
Oh, do I need to remove the tank(s) to get them filled?
Everywhere I've been, small propane tanks are filled using the weight of the tank as the indication of how full they are; that means that the tank must be removed from the trailer and placed on a scale.
In some areas, a propane tank like this can be filled using a bleed valve to indicate when it gets full, but even that should probably be done with the tank off of the trailer.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The propane supplier in our area will not fill propane tanks that are on the trailer. One reason is they weigh the tanks on a scale when filling
The other reason is that he has had customers come in with their trailer furnace , refrigerator or water heater running on propane.
Same reason that they want your vehicle shut off and don't allow smoking when you are refueling.
When they are the only propane dealer in the area then they get to set the rules
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When you are the only propane dealer in the area then you get to set the rules
Or, you follow the rules.