Chilliwack to Moab - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Mokey Dugway Road into Mexican Hat is pretty exciting on Utah Route 261.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:00 AM   #22

Old 03-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Once we finish at Moab we plan to head down toward Monument Valley then the Grand Canyon north rim. The Moki Dugway and Goosenecks along with Forrest Gump Point are some of the attractions on this route. This guy has an informative video of this area:

https://youtu.be/GV26CAx6Rsw

jn
Old 03-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
What that video doesn't say is he did the Moki Dugway NOT towing. Done it twice, towing my 19, and can verify that's a whole different breed of cat, not for the faint of heart, particularly when you're passing another vehicle going the other way.

My second time, (more recently), it seemed they must have widened the road some. Regardless, it's a long way down. Protocol, is, the vehicle going up has the right of way, and the one going down must back up to the last switchback, or, someone gets to pass 8 inches from the edge and the other guy risks scraping his trailer on the rock face wall. It could be an underwear changer.

(This pix is at a switchback.)
Attached Thumbnails
MokiD.jpg  
Old 03-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
What that video doesn't say is he did the Moki Dugway NOT towing. Done it twice, towing my 19, and can verify that's a whole different breed of cat, not for the faint of heart, particularly when you're passing another vehicle going the other way.

My second time, (more recently), it seemed they must have widened the road some. Regardless, it's a long way down. Protocol, is, the vehicle going up has the right of way, and the one going down must back up to the last switchback, or, someone gets to pass 8 inches from the edge and the other guy risks scraping his trailer on the rock face wall. It could be an underwear changer.

(This pix is at a switchback.)
I don't know that I would trust my transmission on that road pulling a 5.0TA. Many decades ago we drove out of St Moritz down to Lake Como then on a switchback road into the mountains to the northwest back into Switzerland. Spent over an hour doing short sharp switchbacks so I understand what you mean. Not fun!
Old 03-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
About 20 miles north of the Dugway on UT 261 is Cigarette Springs Road. About 3 miles into it is the start of the hike into Road Canyon & the Fallen Roof Ruin (Directions), an interesting place to photograph. While getting there with the trailer depends on the condition of Cigarette Springs Road (I'd drop the trailer & check the road first), there is room for a fiberglass trailer to camp at the start of the trail.

The House on Fire ruin in Mule Canyon along UT 95 is also in the area:

Another great place to dry camp with a view is at the end of Muley Point Road which is at the top of the Dugway. There is a flat area along the road, but keep going to the end for a 360° view of Monument Valley.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC2332.jpg   ASD_0133.jpg  
Old 03-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Fabulous photos Jon.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #28

Jon I have been to the edge of Muley Point and have yearned to get on the roads way over down at the bottom that snake through the area. Do you know how to get to them?
Attached Thumbnails
MuleyPt30.jpg   MuleyPt39.jpg  
Old 03-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #29

Nope. I've also seen them, but never tried.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
About 20 miles north of the Dugway on UT 261 is Cigarette Springs Road. About 3 miles into it is the start of the hike into Road Canyon & the Fallen Roof Ruin (Directions), an interesting place to photograph. While getting there with the trailer depends on the condition of Cigarette Springs Road (I'd drop the trailer & check the road first), there is room for a fiberglass trailer to camp at the start of the trail.

Another great place to dry camp with a view is at the end of Muley Point Road which is at the top of the Dugway. There is a flat area along the road, but keep going to the end for a 360° view of Monument Valley.

Wow those are stunning photos!
Martin Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:30 PM   #31

Quote:

Jon I read that you once spent the night in Big Timber Montana. Next time you go by there, head up into the Gallatin National Forest about 20 miles or so south of town. You'll wind up in the Boulder River Valley. Some of the scenes from "A River Runs Through It" were filmed on the Boulder. Along the way you'll pass the ranch they used for the "Horse Whisperer". Great camping along the Boulder and a few miles down the road you're in the Absaroka Beartooth National wilderness area which is on the northern side of Yellowstone. Jon I think we lived in the same neighborhood back in 1969 jn
Old 03-28-2019, 01:18 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Jon I have been to the edge of Muley Point and have yearned to get on the roads way over down at the bottom that snake through the area. Do you know how to get to them?

What you need to do is head out on 261 toward the base of Moki Dugway, then go left onto 316 toward Goosenecks S.P. Go maybe 1/2 mile and then turn right onto 244 / Johns Canyon Road and enjoy!
Old 03-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #33

40 years ago I was down in that neck of the woods and over on Comb Ridge surveying for seismic lines (with permits) with some pretty smart local folk that had done a lot of four wheel driving in that area. We were pretty well set up (with Toyota FJ40s, warn winches, and meaty tires ) and we still got pretty stuck on and off those trails a number of times. Flash floods also removed numerous trails overnight sometimes. Sand, cactus, and slickrock can also be a real challenge. In short, you can get in a lot of trouble in short order even when you are careful.

I would suggest using some real caution as there is not a lot of traffic for a reason on those trails. Cell phone coverage is limited also.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #34

Copy that. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Aka002A.jpg  
Old 04-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 19' Escape
One word of caution: Easter Jeep Safari in Moab is April 13-21. The town is inundated with Jeeps! It is wonderful experience if you have never seen it, however there will unlikely be anywhere to stay. Take your time and enjoy the drive down there and be sure to arrive after the Safari.
Karen and Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #36

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA
Great basin natl park

Depending on time & the route you choose, Great Basin National Park is a must see, & US 50 offers some awesome sights on the loneliest road in America.
MJClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #37

Trailer: none yet
Those are some fabulous photos. I could spend some serious time reading all your trip reports!

Quote:

vw.parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw.parrothead View Post
Those are some fabulous photos. I could spend some serious time reading all your trip reports!
Thanks. Southern Utah is one of my favorite parts of the US, although there are plenty of other beautiful locations. My favorite from last year's trip was Whitehorse Falls along OR 138:
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV8884.jpg  
Old 04-03-2019, 05:21 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and Leon View Post
One word of caution: Easter Jeep Safari in Moab is April 13-21. The town is inundated with Jeeps! It is wonderful experience if you have never seen it, however there will unlikely be anywhere to stay. Take your time and enjoy the drive down there and be sure to arrive after the Safari.
Easter is the date of the Moab Jeep Safari, and it's also the traditional time when Utahns make trips to the desert. Expect campgrounds and boondocking sites to be stressed all week. I was reminded of this when I used Google Earth to look at the area west of Goblin Valley State Park and noticed a lot of dispersed camping. I checked the date of the satellite image, and sure enough, it was Easter week. A couple of years ago we went to Buckhorn Wash before Easter and people were pre-placing camping trailers to be sure of getting their favorite spot for Easter.

FYI, in recent years the city of Moab had done their best to promote touristy events for almost every weekend, not just the Easter Jeep Safari.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #40

Trailer: none yet
Beautiful! I was out there in October - Zion, Bryce, Moab, and Grand Canyon. Did a big trip in 2017 - 11K miles around the USA, but in my Honda. Camped in the Umpqua National Forest - great waterfalls there, too. Hoping to get back to Yellowstone next year and squeeze in Grand Teton NP.
Still working, and saving for my camper. Trying to sell my '70 VW Camper bus to fund said camper.

Quote:
Thanks. Southern Utah is one of my favorite parts of the US, although there are plenty of other beautiful locations. My favorite from last year's trip was Whitehorse Falls along OR 138:
vw.parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote