4 Season Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2024, 09:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
4 Season Escape 19

The one thing I really wished my Escape 19 had was indoor seating comfort. When using it during the warm season you normally sit in a camp chair outside around the campfire. The dinette works for a quick meal if you don’t have an outdoor table. However, if you want to stay inside because of rain, cold temperatures, wind or mosquito swarms, the bench seat with no back support just doesn’t cut it. We can squeeze two camp chairs into the trailer but it is not convenient when you need to move around. So I’ve been working on designing a modification that would allow us to use our trailer comfortably in all seasons.
Traildad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 09:46 AM   #2

We decided to remove the table and the floor mount and the cushions. Then we got two plastic patio chairs and cut the rear legs off so they could be placed on top of the seat benches. Because the seat benches are taller than the rear chair legs I had to add 3 inches to the floor between the benches. Then we needed a table. We have been using two TV trays but wanted something that wouldn’t be in the way when not in use so we thought a Lagun table. We decided to make our own Lagun system from copper pipe and the TV trays. Then to top it off we added a hanging shelf to give us a place to set our iPads etc. I’m pretty happy with the results so far. We are a little cramped for foot space but there isn’t any way to fix that. The only permanent change that was made was two screw hole to support each Lagun table leg. The chairs are so much more comfortable than anything we’ve tried up to now. We have a big trip coming soon and we’ll be able to give them a good test drive.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4948.jpg   IMG_0245.jpg  
Old 03-31-2024, 09:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I agree the dinette is not great for long periods of time. A few card or board games and then it is time to shift. The pool noodle mod helps, but still is not great. We lounge on the bed for indoor reading or movies. The picture is an unmade bed during storage, but shows the idea.

Barb and I have been lounging here since 7:30 this morning reading and praying. It’s comfy and relaxing. Of course, we are not just on the stock mattress either. We have a Froli under the mattress, and a firm 2” latex mattress topper on it. We usually put our pillow behind the pillow chair to space it further from the blinds.I’ve also cut down the backstabbers to shorten them, just as I did in the dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2310.jpeg  
Old 03-31-2024, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Traildad,
You cut the back legs off! Nice thinking outside the box

Brroberts; that is kind of what we do, place foam to the back side of the back cushions to give them a slant. It takes a a little experimenting to get it just right but once figured out , works good.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 05:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
That lawn chair set up looks kozy.

We have 4 pillows for the bed in the 5.0TA and use one of them each as back supports for sitting at the dinette.

On rainy or cold days when we are going to be inside a lot we make the dinette into a flat surface to lounge on. Those back pillows of brroberts look handy.
Old 03-31-2024, 11:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Nice problem solution. However, we solved the "back support" problem to our satisfaction by simply placing a piece of 4" diameter pvc pipe behind the vertical cushion of the Escape factory setup. That made an amazing difference in comfort for negligible cost. Works well for us!
Old 04-01-2024, 08:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 5.0
This has been working out, definitely something is needed in that area.
Attached Thumbnails
4FE9C9AA-4662-44F6-9CD0-4032ABE864F6.jpg   A0DE1F6F-C9F7-44A4-9E60-D533176396CB.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 11:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Nice problem solution. However, we solved the "back support" problem to our satisfaction by simply placing a piece of 4" diameter pvc pipe behind the vertical cushion of the Escape factory setup. That made an amazing difference in comfort for negligible cost. Works well for us!
I think someone else alluded to something like that and it sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try a pool noodle.
Old 04-01-2024, 12:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
In my 17B I replaced the front cushions with a pair of West Marine High Backed Chairs. Worked well since I never used the front as a bed. Since I travel solo, in my 21C I replaced the rear cushion on the kitchen side with a High Backed chair. Very comfortable, although getting rid of the cushion makes it difficult to make up a rear bed.
Old 04-02-2024, 01:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Found an Adjustable Reclining Ergonomic Floor Game Chair, didn't know if it would be helpful.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kessenich View Post
Found an Adjustable Reclining Ergonomic Floor Game Chair, didn't know if it would be helpful.
I tried one of those type of chairs. I think because it was designed for sitting on the floor it dint feel comfortable with it setting up on the bench and my legs hanging down like a conventional chair.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:44 PM   #12

Trailer: None
Has anyone tried using captain's chairs on top of the existing seats (without cushions, of course)? The seats could be bolted down directly to the existing cabinet work, or a slim swivel could be used, and then a false floor added to support the feet. I have lived aboard a sailboat for the last three decades and the lack of a good seat is driving me nuts. So as I have looked at campers that has become a high priority. I am most interested in the E19 so fit in there is of most interest.

The WM high backed chairs linked to above also might serve, and would be easier to install and use.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
I am shocked to discover that there is a West Marine in my metro! Perhaps I shall go and sample their high backed chair.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:28 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I am shocked to discover that there is a West Marine in my metro! Perhaps I shall go and sample their high backed chair.
I'm shocked also that you have one in your city.

They came to Vancouver, a major marine center if there was ever one, many years ago. In the end another well established marine outfit won out and West Marine quietly left town.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:46 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Has anyone tried using captain's chairs on top of the existing seats (without cushions, of course)? The seats could be bolted down directly to the existing cabinet work, or a slim swivel could be used, and then a false floor added to support the feet. I have lived aboard a sailboat for the last three decades and the lack of a good seat is driving me nuts. So as I have looked at campers that has become a high priority. I am most interested in the E19 so fit in there is of most interest.

The WM high backed chairs linked to above also might serve, and would be easier to install and use.

Do you have a link to an example? Thanks!
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:33 AM   #16

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
Do you have a link to an example? Thanks!
One random example: https://www.westmarine.com/tempress-...-20010278.html . See others by going back up the path (below the yellow line) to "Helm and Fishing Seats" or "Boat Seating". Swivels and such are available separately.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:14 AM   #17

I’ll have to check out the seats at west marine. The plastic chairs I’m using are comfortable on my back but sure make my butt sore after a while. I have several different cushions to put on them, but before the end of the night I’m uncomfortable. I wonder how much the marine chairs weigh.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 E19
Today I tried out the high backed chair at West Marine. It has a good seat cushion and I like the way the seat back can ratchet into more than one angle. But what killed it for me was the way it forces my shoulders to hunch over. They make it a little bit thicker in that area, and I know it would drive me nuts after while. Lumbar area could have used a bit more material, perhaps, but that was minor.

Then I tried the low backed version. The back was flat and seemed fine, however the seat cushion is far less cushiony and my butt bottomed out immediately on the frame rear the rear of the seat.

The guy said the high backed chairs have become hugely popular with the rodeo crowd. They are loved by wives who have to sit in the bleachers all day watching their husbands ride. I can imagine that a 5'4" or 5'5" gal's shoulders would rest against the back at a lower point, which makes the chair ideal for someone of that stature. I'm only 5'8" but it just wasn't right for me.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:20 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I use one on my boat, but don’t need one in our E19. It’s a good chair for me, but not great. I’m glad to have for the boat.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My suggestion is to do the same as Mike did - go to a West Marine & try the chairs. I have been pleased with the High Backed Chair, but they have others that you might like better. One advantage of the High Backed Chair that I didn't note in my previous post - it has carrying straps, and can be back packed to other sites. It makes sitting at a picnic table comfortable.