Fastway e2 Hitch L-Bracket Location on 21NE - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Fastway e2 Hitch L-Bracket Location on 21NE

I'm going to be picking up my E21NE in a few weeks and I'm trying to eliminate any surprises. I purchased my own Fastway e2 hitch instead of buying from Escape. When I talked to Fastway they said the round bar model was sufficient for the size and weight of an Escape 21NE, so that's what I purchased. I have since learned that Escape usually supplies the trunnion bar model. Very similar, just a little more money. Now I have discovered that the L-bracket for the round bar model should be placed at 24"-27" from the coupler, while the trunnion model is supposed to be placed at 27"-30" from the coupler. My question is, can I get the L-brackets onto the frame at the correct distance (24-27")? Is there something in the way that makes this a definite no go?

I am looking for someone with a 21NE and a Fastway hitch to take a picture of the L-bracket location on the trailer frame (both sides) and tell me the distance from the center of the coupler to the center of the L-bracket. The L-bracket is the piece that is clamped to the frame and the hitch bars lift up and onto.

If the 21C has the same arrangement of storage box, batteries, and propane bottles on the front of the trailer, then that will work also.
Illinois Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
We picked up our 21NE in April, and did the same thing you did...purchased our fast way E-2 hitch separately. We did buy the trunion version, and the L brackets are at exactly 30 inches. At 24-27 inches you will run into issue with the propane tanks and propane tank cover. If you can, I would consider exchanging yours for the trunion.

We picked our up in Salt Lake City and pulled it all the way back to Texas with just a plain insert and ball....no WDH or sway control at all and it was fine. I had taken the E-2 with me, but didn’t get around to setting it up till we got home. It does feel much more secure with the E-2 and I like it. If I had it to do over again I would have spent a little more and bought the Equalizer WDH. I don’t think towing would be noticeably different, but it’s easier to get the trunion in the head.
Attached Thumbnails
6DC70283-FF77-4447-BD66-7AC663CB86E3.jpg   AD767627-0070-4D58-AD7E-4BC90CD88A8A.jpg  
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #3

GregC. Thanks for the picture and reply. If the propane cover is not there, would the bracket fit on the frame at 27"? Is the other side the same, or does it have additional things to negotiate?
Old 06-21-2021, 05:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
At 27 inches only the propane cover would be in the way. Much less than that and you run int to the mounting bracket for the tanks. There is wiring and the propane line attached to the driver side frame rail with zip ties. Cut the zip ties, mount the bracket and then use a new zip tie to secure the wiring over the bracket
Attached Thumbnails
6CE19969-0F13-455C-B206-92985A635629.jpg  
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:15 PM   #5

GregC. Thanks much. Great help.

Tags
e2 hitch, l-bracket