Help with the sink installation issue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 in June 21
Help with the sink installation issue

I ordered a custom sink to be installed in my build, which was approved. they are having trouble with the installation and sent me this picture:

"Good morning Kim,

I hope you continue to be well!

They have tried to install your custom sink. This particular sink does not have brackets to hold it from the bottom and the rim that sits on the countertop is not super flat and would need to be held on with silicone. They are not happy with how it looks and have decided to leave it out so that you can make a decision when you see the issue. I have included a photo above so you can see what they mean. (It really is a pretty sink!)

Unfortunately, the cut-out in the Formica is sized to the custom sink and we are not able at this time to replace the kitchen surface. This is always a challenge when working with custom sinks.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."

Should I tell them to go ahead and silicone it in? Should I have them leave it out and try to fix the issue when I get the trailer? I wonder if I could run a router around the edge of the cut out and if it would fit a little more flush. Seems to be a common installation issue with the sink, that I should have read more about before deciding to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
8672B843-06C6-4F9E-A9E6-9229147BB689.jpg  
ksfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #2

I decided to just have them silicone it down and hope for the best. I should've research the sink a little more before I got it. If it looks terrible or I really can't live with the results of the silicone job… I'll just have to find a solution later on down the road! ��
Old 06-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfisk View Post
I decided to just have them silicone it down and hope for the best. I should've research the sink a little more before I got it. If it looks terrible or I really can't live with the results of the silicone job… I'll just have to find a solution later on down the road! ��
That was going to be my recommendation. From the photo it looks pretty good to me. One has to appreciate ETI pausing and reaching out to the customer. Shows the installer cares and has attention to detail.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That was going to be my recommendation. From the photo it looks pretty good to me. One has to appreciate ETI pausing and reaching out to the customer. Shows the installer cares and has attention to detail.
Agreed.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfisk View Post

I would hope they put a weight in the sink to help flatten the rim for at least 24 hrs after applying the silicone, Sikaflex would be better.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I wonder if I could run a router around the edge of the cut out and if it would fit a little more flush
———————————————————————————————————————————-—-

I’ve installed more than a few sinks, I think you yourself had the best answer.
There are silicones out there that will say on the tub that it also acts as an adhesive.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
^ ditto: I wouldn't (and don't) use silicone for bonding applications such as a sink! Once upon a time it was the defacto standard but so many better choices today ala one of many polyurethane/acrylic sealants on the market. Loctite PL Max Supreme is one I use on a regular basis that is available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc., and only about $10/tube. Also solid choices available from Sikaflex, 3M, etc.

Just my $02...and maybe all its worth.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #8

Thanks you guys! I appreciate all of your input!
Old 06-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I agree with the choice to install. Worst case is you replace it in the future with another of the same size, or slightly larger.

I have installed hundreds and hundreds of sinks. Few surface mounts these days and lots of undermounts. If there is no mechanical attaching, I do use a good silicone. For undermounts I do as a wee bit of fast setting epoxy to help hold it in place along with support from under while the silicone sets. Silicone seals well and attaches strongly with a wee bit of flexibility. This is what professional counter installers do to.

I like to fill surface mounts with water while the silicone cures.

Do let us know your impression of the installed sink when you do get the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would order a second sheet of counter top material just in case you are not happy with the end product and have to redo it yourself.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I agree with the choice to install. Worst case is you replace it in the future with another of the same size, or slightly larger.

I have installed hundreds and hundreds of sinks. Few surface mounts these days and lots of undermounts. If there is no mechanical attaching, I do use a good silicone. For undermounts I do as a wee bit of fast setting epoxy to help hold it in place along with support from under while the silicone sets. Silicone seals well and attaches strongly with a wee bit of flexibility. This is what professional counter installers do to.

I like to fill surface mounts with water while the silicone cures.

Do let us know your impression of the installed sink when you do get the trailer.
Thanks Jim! The information and tips that you and others have provided are very helpful. I'm confident that ETI will do the best they can, with what I've given them to work with. I'm glad they were willing to try installing it. And like you said, worst case scenario I will just rework it at some point, if I dont like the results that come from this experiment. :-)
Old 06-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I would order a second sheet of counter top material just in case you are not happy with the end product and have to redo it yourself.
That is a good idea. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
You could just wait and pick it up if needed. It's not great stuff to store when not using,. especially a full sheet. I know, I have a few left over from projects that are going to be given away.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-03-2021, 07:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would not ask for a full sheet but just enough to redo the counter top. This way there would be no problem matching the counter top or having to order and transport a full sheet from the store later in the US.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #15

I've never been able to order part of a sheet here. When getting my first trailer built by Escape they gave me what was left over from the sheer in the build. For me last one I just went and bought my own to install.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Curious about what sink model?
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:19 AM   #17

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
An option is to draw the contour of the sink and use a wood router to have it sink in a little bit so the edge are not so edgee over the conter.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Curious about what sink model?
Sinkology Wilson Bar and Prep Sink - SP701-17HSB
Old 06-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
^ ditto: I wouldn't (and don't) use silicone for bonding applications such as a sink! Once upon a time it was the defacto standard but so many better choices today ala one of many polyurethane/acrylic sealants on the market. Loctite PL Max Supreme is one I use on a regular basis that is available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc., and only about $10/tube. Also solid choices available from Sikaflex, 3M, etc.

Just my $02...and maybe all its worth.
I hope they’re still not using silicone still for install of the standard kitchen sink. They used it to install the standard sink in our 21. Took me forever to get the old one out to install the new sink. Had to be very careful to not pull up n crack/break the Formica Looked like they use a 1/4 tube of the stuff. Never have been a fan of silicone.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
I hope they’re still not using silicone still for install of the standard kitchen sink. They used it to install the standard sink in our 21. Took me forever to get the old one out to install the new sink. Had to be very careful to not pull up n crack/break the Formica Looked like they use a 1/4 tube of the stuff. Never have been a fan of silicone.

David
This is why it is always used. The idea is to have a good permanent installation. Like I said even the pro countertop installers use it. 8 sinks they installed in the quartz in our house were installed with it.

With a surface mount sink mounted with silicone, cutting under the flange with a sharp blade while giving light prying pressure up will free it. Anything mounted good like this will not be real easy. [emoji6]