Kitchen Drawers - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #21

Trailer: coming
Looks like most people went with the extra door opt? Such good ideas . But not liking the idea of having to strap doors though. Would extra latch work? Although for the price of the trailers we shouldn't have to do that.
freeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the 21 really has quite a lot of very useful storage. I'm still trying to convince my wife she really doesn't need to fill every cubic inch.
Good luck with that my friend!
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
ah, and here I thought that was standard... we have two doors under the bed, that one, and another on the side facing the rear... I've been thinking I'd like a LONG drawer/box to go in that rear facing door, that would be on rollers or something, so I could slide it out into the walkway, and store all kinds of stuff in it, maybe with compartments...
How about 36 inches? Same construction as NWs shoe box.
Attached Thumbnails
Drawer_Set.JPG  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Looks like most people went with the extra door opt? Such good ideas . But not liking the idea of having to strap doors though. Would extra latch work? Although for the price of the trailers we shouldn't have to do that.

What doors are you talking about? All the upper cabinet doors lift up, so gravity assists. I've had one door open because I stacked canned goods in it and drove down washboard roads. Wardrobe door and bath door have never come open. Fridge door has opened because I put too much heavy stuff on the door and hit a pothole.

Extra latches would just make doors harder to open. I just use a bungee cord, looped though handles during travel. Don't need to make things difficult or search for problems that don't exist.

I also squeeze the paper towel an toilet paper rolls so that the are oval and don't unravel.
Attached Thumbnails
Can cupboard bungee.jpg   Fridge bungee.jpg  
Old 10-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
we take all the heavy stuff out of hte overhead drawers when traveling, and put it in a crate under the dinette table, then in camp, put it back in the overhead drawer. this mostly includes canned foods.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hat n coat hooks!!!

Hi: All... Here's where our coats etc. hang out. Custom wrought iron work by Ian Eddy Blacksmith. The only door that ever opened was pushed by a 2.5 gal. jug of our own well water from home. After that flood it rides on the bathroom floor!!!
All these negative thoughts are making me think we should sell our shody 5.0TA and just stay home. OH heck... we have the same crummy drawers here in our bathroom vanity!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030809.jpg   P1000591.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I f properly loaded, the cabinets should not open, like some have said, putting heavy items below and rearranging prevents cabinets from opening while in transit. Why fix something that is working?
Old 10-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
In 28,000 miles, we’ve never had a door or drawer open, freeride. We use the lock on the fridge. Lightweight stuff in the higher cabinets, heavier stuff in the lower cabinets, canned goods in the floor cabinets near the wheel wells. So far we are bungee cordless

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
How about 36 inches? Same construction as NWs shoe box.
These boxes work great. Charlie shipped us the two box option, along with the partitions and VHB tape. We did not use the partitions in the smaller box, and use it as a dirty clothes hamper. The larger box is divided in half, with the back section small supply storage, and the front section for food and drink. The friction between the sled and box bottom provides just enough grip to keep the boxes from sliding in transit, yet is easy enough to push and pull with one hand. I highly recommend them

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:52 AM   #30

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Same here (with drawers): screws were loose and track on upper drawer's side were improperly installed when we got the 17 so had to fix that. No problems since.
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Has anyone had problems with the drawers? Disappointed there not plywood and had better tracks. Do they stand up or fly open when traveling? dirt roads? Plus can anyone tell me where they put there coats and shoes at the door? or do you just step over them? Were just thinking of how the layout will work for us. thanks
We got our trailer 9/14/2018 and took it on a long 5 week trip. I LOVED having 3 cubbyholes where the closet is (2 shelves put in = 3 cubbyholes) and using the top shelf for coats - we just lay them in (stuff them in if dry). We didn't have any problems with drawers - but our last trailer we sure did so I am keeping an eye on that. I use the bottom two cubbyholes for food items.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam2004 View Post
We didn't have any problems with drawers - but our last trailer we sure did so I am keeping an eye on that.

Was your last trailer an Escape or SOB? What were the issues?
Old 10-31-2018, 12:50 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
no issues with drawers on either of my trailers
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
As with most others, we've had no issues with our drawers while towing our 2013 21'.
As for storing coats, food, and shoes, etc, we've done it a little different. First we converted our closet. It now has three pull-out shelves for easy food storage and accessibility, while leaving about 9" of hanging space for those pesky jackets.

Our shoes are stored under our bed, accessible through a door near the bathroom door. We installed a long drawer, accessible through another door at the foot of the bed, for my wife's cloths and whatever.

We added two cubbies to the standard cubby instillation between the entrance door and the bathroom door that really come in handy, and of course we've installed Umbra hooks.

All this works well for us, although I think there's a better solution for shoes out there. Be creative with your new trailer. for me, that's half the fun.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:22 PM   #35

i put a wine rack in the bottom of my closet hang coats etc above it. i still need some hanging room so i need the closet. i also have hooks installed for jackets. i do like having lots of cloths with me.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:03 PM   #36

I hate folding clothes.
I hate ironing.
My clothes, on hangers, are easily carried from my home closet to the trailer closet.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #37

Trailer: escape 17b 2017
we have had the drawers fly out completely spilling all contents as well as the cabinet doors come open - numerous times. we now lock them all down with a bungee running through the handles as a part of our routine whenever we pull out.
minnranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Was your last trailer an Escape or SOB? What were the issues?
It was a r-Pod and on one side of the drawer - they had jerry-rigged the drawer to kind of "float" in space -- I am not kidding. I worked so hard trying to keep that drawer working. It was just flat out bad design and bad build. I am so in love with the Escape quality. And in the 19 foot, we have enough space for everything without having to hang stuff all over the walls like I did in the r-Pod.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnranger View Post
we have had the drawers fly out completely spilling all contents as well as the cabinet doors come open - numerous times. we now lock them all down with a bungee running through the handles as a part of our routine whenever we pull out.
Must have been the same trip that you had all of that damage to your fibreglass exterior from driving too fast on rough gravel roads.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #40

that's strange i almost never have cabinet or drawers open while driving. a cabinet door opened because i put heavy things in it once - but normally nothing flys open. Microwave opened in my old trailer and of course i had left the glass plate in it -broken haven't done that with the new trailer.