Aftermarket trailer backup assist - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2019, 02:31 AM   #1

Trailer: KABE GLE -86
Aftermarket trailer backup assist

Hey all, new user here.. Most summers, me and my family are traveling around Sweden in an old travel trailer, and I've been reading recently about the "Trailer Assist" functionality of Ford, Wolksvagen and other brands. These being very expensive systems (not to mention only available from the factory when buying a new car!), and being a software developer by day, I have started to build an aftermarket solution that I can run using my main phone (in the car) and by fixing a spare (a couple of years older) phone at the back of the trailer. With these two devices I get a video feed when backing up, as well as very accurate estimation and visualization of the hitch angle (thanks to the gyrometers in the phones). (Im also thinking of adding the possibility to input a "desired angle" and get steering wheel recommendations based on that (good for the wife))..

Is this all just a crazy idea (I have like 90% of it working already), cause I haven't seen anyone else doing this?
TheJaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Crazy or not I'm sure you will continue working on it.
Thats what software development is all about.

So the factory assist works by the backup camera looking down on a checkerboard sticker that you put on the trailer tongue.

And amazon sells wifi backup cameras for cheap. Less then what an old phone might be.
Attached Thumbnails
checkerboard.JPG  
Old 12-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #3

That's probably true (that I'll continue working on it, it's too much fun). And if you don't already have spare device lying around (very many do), a WiFi cam might be cheaper. But another big plus with the solution I'm working on is that not only do you get the hitch angle visual, you also get a video feed from behind the trailer.

(Also, not that using gyroscope sensor data is straightforward, but I would have absolutely no idea where to start processing realtime video like the big guys do)
Old 12-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
We should all have a project that keeps us off the streets and out of the beer halls.

I’ve had my share over the years.

Sure beats hanging out on the Internet all day.

Enjoy.

Sam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJaff View Post
Im also thinking of adding the possibility to input a "desired angle" and get steering wheel recommendations based on that...
I think for the steering recommendation to be useful, the application would need to know the current steering angle so it could instruct whether to turn further right or left. Just saying "front wheel angle should be 4 degrees right", for instance, would not be very helpful.

Good luck with the project.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think for the steering recommendation to be useful, the application would need to know the current steering angle so it could instruct whether to turn further right or left. Just saying "front wheel angle should be 4 degrees right", for instance, would not be very helpful.

Good luck with the project.
Good point with the steering angle. But I want to make this as accessible as possible, by having to invest very little in physical gadgets. Also, when the vehicle is in motion (no matter by how little), it would be possible to instruct the driver to turn the steering wheel "more to the left" (for example) depending on the angle rate of change.

What you describe, with steering wheel and hitch sensor is actually on the market already, for the cost of $329 (without backup camera).. google TowGo.

Here is a more recent screenshot/mockup of HitchAngle:
Old 12-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #7

New design/interface that is HUD-based, what do you think? Visit the website for more info: https://hitchangle.com/

Old 12-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I really don't see the benefit of this but as long as it works for you go for it.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:00 AM   #9

HitchAngle is now ready if anyone wants to try it out! It is free / gratis, so don't worry about that.

hitchangle.com

Old 01-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
HitchAngle is now ready if anyone wants to try it out! It is free / gratis, so don't worry about that.

hitchangle.com
You can't get in without registering to the site unfortunately. What exactly does this app do? It seems to give an angle difference from tow to trailer. I fail to see an advantage to this. What am I missing?

edit: I did read back in the thread and posts I missed. I get a bit of an idea what it does, but still fail to see what could be advantageous to it, but as Bob said all is good if it can work for you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hi TheJaff,
Thank you for sharing your creative idea. I am terrible in backingup the the trailer. I am going to give it a try. I am thinking of using my wife's phone temporarily only during the trailer backing up. Where would you mount the mobile phone? I am thinking of using the 3M adhesive tape or make a plastic bracket to house the phone. That should work right?

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
You can't get in without registering to the site unfortunately. What exactly does this app do? It seems to give an angle difference from tow to trailer. I fail to see an advantage to this. What am I missing?

edit: I did read back in the thread and posts I missed. I get a bit of an idea what it does, but still fail to see what could be advantageous to it, but as Bob said all is good if it can work for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I'll answer this anyway, if there are more people wondering about the same things.

It works like this: you need to have two devices. You mount one device in your car, where you can see it clearly. You mount the other at the back of your trailer. You log in on both devices and choose one to be the vehicle device (screen/hud), the trailer device will then automatically connect and capture/send a video feed as well as gyroscope readings to the vehicle device. The vehicle device will display this video feed, and optionally overlay a visualization of the relative angle between vehicle and trailer.

The app is designed so that the vehicle and trailer devices find each other by you being logged in with the same user on both, so that is the reason you need to log in.

The main advantages/uses of HitchAngle are:

- it's free
- it provides a 100% wireless backup camera for your trailer (and many people already own an extra device the can use)
- use any size screen you want, if you want a big screen, just use an tablet/iPad as your HUD
- nothing on the market offers you visualization of the angle of your trailer, not without paying hundreds to thousands of dollars and using stickers and entering measurements (for every trailer) etc
Old 01-27-2020, 05:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hi TheJaff,
Thank you for explaining the set-up and how it works. Most couple has two mobile phones and it will be an excellent assistance for backing up just borrowing the spouse/significant's phone. Need to be creative to design a slot or getting an after market phone holder for mounting the phone in the trailer temporarily.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:51 AM   #14

Trailer: 2006 winnebago
How can I get the app the website is no longer working? Can you send me an android ve

Quote:
Hey all, new user here.. Most summers, me and my family are traveling around Sweden in an old travel trailer, and I've been reading recently about the "Trailer Assist" functionality of Ford, Wolksvagen and other brands. These being very expensive systems (not to mention only available from the factory when buying a new car!), and being a software developer by day, I have started to build an aftermarket solution that I can run using my main phone (in the car) and by fixing a spare (a couple of years older) phone at the back of the trailer. With these two devices I get a video feed when backing up, as

Hello,

How can I get the app for android and ios? The website mo longer works. I am willing it purchase it as well.
Cleo0300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:48 PM   #15

You can find the page/app at https://hitchangle.azurewebsites.net/

But do mind that the app is no longer actively maintained so YMMV.