Andersen Hitch issue - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #101

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Lots of good info here but I'm afraid I still don't know what to do regarding a hitch for our 21. Our build sheet is due on Monday so I need to make a decision.

Escape has some Andersen hitches in stock, but will not longer be using them once they run out. That tells me they may not be happy with them. The Equalizer hitch they use does not have sway control. Being new to trailering we want whatever will tow the smoothest, but also minimize problems/maintenance/connection issues. Another factor is that we will initially tow with a borrowed F250, but will be buying a F150 or maybe Touareg a few months down the road.

What would you get if you were me?

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #102
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Nothing, you may not need anything, try towing without and then make a decision, you can always order an Andersen from online stores.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #103

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
I have a 17B; tow with a Toyota Sienna and have an equalizer hitch that was purchased at ETI. I have never had a sway issue or problem. In fact it still amazes me at the stability, as I never get buffeted with the trailer, when passed by fast large commercial trucks. While I know it is not the same set up, I have not read of any one with sway problems with an equalizer alone with an Escape. Hope this helps.
The angled lift bar (or whatever it is called) and the electric jack make it relatively easy to do. Plus, making marks on the chains take the guesswork out. Mine was set up initially by Reace so I didn't have to figure that part out.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #104

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Lots of good info here but I'm afraid I still don't know what to do regarding a hitch for our 21. Our build sheet is due on Monday so I need to make a decision.

Escape has some Andersen hitches in stock, but will not longer be using them once they run out. That tells me they may not be happy with them. The Equalizer hitch they use does not have sway control. Being new to trailering we want whatever will tow the smoothest, but also minimize problems/maintenance/connection issues. Another factor is that we will initially tow with a borrowed F250, but will be buying a F150 or maybe Touareg a few months down the road.

You can always buy a hitch and bring it with you. ETI will install it. I think they charged us $75 to install the Reese SC we used with our Casita. The major hitch manufacturers all have models with built in sway control. I think we got our Reese at about 40% off of list by shopping on line. I would avoid the separate friction sway control. Issues when backing up, using in the rain, getting the right amount of friction each time you hook up. Lots of reviews on line besides here for various manufacturers.

If you bring it, then you have more time to decide.

I disagree with the try it and see approach. The one time sway control gives you a little more control can make all the difference.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #105

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
We like our Andersen hitch as we have had no sway, even in cross winds, and no porpoising on bumpy roads, so the trailer tows like a dream. It might be worth asking Reace why they are not doing them anymore.
We have found it pretty easy to get the Andersen on and tighten the chains.
TheLonePine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #106

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Just a note. Don't know if you noticed but I was selling mine at a greatly reduced price. You could pick it up on the way by to pick up your trailer. You wouldn't be paying anything close to full price, you can remove it from your build list, it would reduce your reported trailer costs by the deduction of the hitch. Ultimately, if you didn't like it, it wouldn't be like you paid anywhere near full price. We are less than 5 minutes off of I-5 in Longview, a direct route to picking up your trailer. I had listed it at $300 with both the 4" and 8" rise drop, so it would fit whatever truck you bought. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post

techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #107

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonePine View Post
We like our Andersen hitch as we have had no sway, even in cross winds, and no porpoising on bumpy roads, so the trailer tows like a dream. It might be worth asking Reace why they are not doing them anymore.
We have found it pretty easy to get the Andersen on and tighten the chains.
I can say exactly the same thing about my Pro Series weight distribution hitch ( equalizer on the ETI option list ), which costs several hundred dollars less and doesn't have parts that need to be replaced over time.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #108

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I can say exactly the same thing about my Pro Series weight distribution hitch ( equalizer on the ETI option list ), which costs several hundred dollars less and doesn't have parts that need to be replaced over time.
And I can add that I have been in 50+ mph sidewinds, and other situations and never experienced the slightest bit of sway. In fact, once, a buddy was following us and when we got to the campsite he remarked that the Escape and Tacoma seemed to move as one unit when he'd watch us change lanes. The Escape with the ETI installed WDH is much more stable that my Scamp with a friction anti-sway device ever was.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:30 PM   #109

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
And I can add that I have been in 50+ mph sidewinds, and other situations and never experienced the slightest bit of sway. In fact, once, a buddy was following us and when we got to the campsite he remarked that the Escape and Tacoma seemed to move as one unit when he'd watch us change lanes.
Same here Eric. I watched carefully several times when we started out on our first trip to see if I could notice any sway - especially when passing a Semi or in a canyon with crosswinds, etc. Nope. No sway.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #110

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Just a note. Don't know if you noticed but I was selling mine at a greatly reduced price. You could pick it up on the way by to pick up your trailer. You wouldn't be paying anything close to full price, you can remove it from your build list, it would reduce your reported trailer costs by the deduction of the hitch. Ultimately, if you didn't like it, it wouldn't be like you paid anywhere near full price. We are less than 5 minutes off of I-5 in Longview, a direct route to picking up your trailer. I had listed it at $300 with both the 4" and 8" rise drop, so it would fit whatever truck you bought. Just a thought.
I hadn't noticed. However we won't be picking up our trailer until after the worst of the winter, probably February or March. If your hitch is still available then, I might take you up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post

You can always buy a hitch and bring it with you. ETI will install it. I think they charged us $75 to install the Reese SC we used with our Casita. The major hitch manufacturers all have models with built in sway control. I think we got our Reese at about 40% off of list by shopping on line. I would avoid the separate friction sway control. Issues when backing up, using in the rain, getting the right amount of friction each time you hook up. Lots of reviews on line besides here for various manufacturers.

If you bring it, then you have more time to decide.
I like this idea. This way we can get more experience on the Andersen hitch too, to see if the latest problems were just due to a bad batch, or if they have a design flaw. Since we won't be picking up until the spring, it does give us lots of time. ETI said we wouldn't be charged a change fee for this.

Thanks for all the input!

Jill is offline   Reply With Quote