Diesel GMC Canyon Towing Escape 21 - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 PM   #121

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Keyless Fobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Both of my new vehicles have the keyless FOB which allows operation without keys. It is so bulky I'll leave it in the console, but the horn beeps when I close the door and the key is inside. You may be able to program the FOB to not lock the doors automatically, perhaps in the manual or check with dealer.
Jim the vehicle is honking at you because you left the key inside. If you lock the door using the interior lock button and close the door, the vehicle should honk and unlock the door.

I have key-less fobs with push button start. I can let my vehicle warm up on cold mornings with the vehicle locked. I leave the 2nd key fob inside, start the vehicle, close the door and lock with 2nd key fob with the fob or by touching the handle.

You can experiment by leaving one key fob inside the vehicle while you have 2nd one on you, that way you do not risk locking your self out.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #122

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Future DuraMax owner

Have just returned from 3 weeks bringing our 5.0TA from Chilliwack to Austin via side trips to Olympia NF, Cascades, West Flathead Lake, MT and, of course, Yellowstone. The T V is a 2015 GMC Canyon gas, 6 cyl, 6 speed, short bed and was purchased for our former 2016 Scamp 19 Deluxe gooseneck. There wasn't a big problem pulling that camper as it's about 1000# lighter than the TA but for 80% of the 2850 miles, I didn't have enough truck for the 5.0TA.

The TA being 2' longer, 1'4" wider, and 6" taller made a difference that 300 hp and low torque couldn't deliver on inclines or headwinds. I didn't particularly mind slowing to 40 in a 60mph mountain climb to keep the trans from throwing down all the way to 3rd, but there were a bunch of folks behind me who wished I'd had the diesel version.

It's a terrific truck (fits in our garage) and the lightweight Andersen Ultimate hitch is a super marriage to the camper but...now I have to work for an additional year 'cause I'll be shopping for a 2018 Canyon SLT DuraMax.
Safe travels, Bob and Judy
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #123

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Thank you for the information- very useful having a first hand report.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #124

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA on order. Tug 2016 Colorado Duramax
You won't be disappointed with purchasing the Colorado/ Canyon with the Duramax to match with the 5.0 TA. I picked up my 5.0 3 weeks ago towing it back to Alberta over the mountains from Chilliwack without a hitch. Put the cruse on 100-105km/hr. The truck never laboured one bit up or down. Hardly even touched the brakes, engine breaking in tow/haul mode was awesome. I was a bit nervous after driving over the mountains before picking up the trailer but man the truck blew me away! Averaged 12-14 l/100km and they are some bad ass hills. Also with the Andersen hitch the truck only settled about 1 inch. I swear the truck handled better with the trailer in tow.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #125

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockseaker View Post
You won't be disappointed with purchasing the Colorado/ Canyon with the Duramax to match with the 5.0 TA. I picked up my 5.0 3 weeks ago towing it back to Alberta over the mountains from Chilliwack without a hitch. Put the cruse on 100-105km/hr. The truck never laboured one bit up or down. Hardly even touched the brakes, engine breaking in tow/haul mode was awesome. I was a bit nervous after driving over the mountains before picking up the trailer but man the truck blew me away! Averaged 12-14 l/100km and they are some bad ass hills. Also with the Andersen hitch the truck only settled about 1 inch. I swear the truck handled better with the trailer in tow.
Don't doubt the good match here at all, and we would love to have such a TV for the 5.0 TA we expect to be ready in November.. But we just got back from our local Chevy dealer. We asked our peddler point blank whether equipping a Z71 crew cab 4wd Duramax with a 5th wheel hitch would void the warranty and he (paraphrasing) said that since the Silverado's owner's manual explicitly mention such equipment and the Colorado OM explicitly left it out, then the warranty would be voided by installing/using a 5th wheel hitch.

Has anyone fully investigated this and definitively come out with another answer?
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #126

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Don't doubt the good match here at all, and we would love to have such a TV for the 5.0 TA we expect to be ready in November.. But we just got back from our local Chevy dealer. We asked our peddler point blank whether equipping a Z71 crew cab 4wd Duramax with a 5th wheel hitch would void the warranty and he (paraphrasing) said that since the Silverado's owner's manual explicitly mention such equipment and the Colorado OM explicitly left it out, then the warranty would be voided by installing/using a 5th wheel hitch.

Has anyone fully investigated this and definitively come out with another answer?
That is the "EXACT " same answer I got from my dealer and the factory concerning towing a 5th wheel trailer with my Ram 1500
If it doesn't explicitly state in the owners manual that you can then you can't . I was unwilling to jeopardize my new vehicle's warranty !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #127

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Hi: phalaney... Why would they put a tow/haul tranny in there and engine braking only to void the warranty!!! I was told drilling my Nissan Fronty for Krown Rust Protection would void my warranty... Didn't happen.
Now drilling the frame to accept the hitch is a whole other matter!!! We used existing holes and universal brackets. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
That is the "EXACT " same answer I got from my dealer and the factory concerning towing a 5th wheel trailer with my Ram 1500
If it doesn't explicitly state in the owners manual that you can then you can't . I was unwilling to jeopardize my new vehicle's warranty !
I think we'll follow your lead steve. Our 22 year old K2500 "5/8 ton", with a short bed, 350 and trailer tow package was ordered by us new just for such towing. Uses a little oil, but good compression, 4 speed auto is still fine, 3.73 gears keep the loads off the trannie, it already has hitch rails installed, and our ol' timey manually extendable Chevy truck trailer mirrors still do the job. Invested in new tires/shocks last year. So, I we'll save the ~$42K, at least until the new diesel Ranger's come out in '19. Too bad Chevy/GMC, we were cash buyers......
Old 06-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #129

Quote:
I think we'll follow your lead steve. Our 22 year old K2500 "5/8 ton", with a short bed, 350 and trailer tow package was ordered by us new just for such towing. Uses a little oil, but good compression, 4 speed auto is still fine, 3.73 gears keep the loads off the trannie, it already has hitch rails installed, and our ol' timey manually extendable Chevy truck trailer mirrors still do the job. Invested in new tires/shocks last year. So, I we'll save the ~$42K, at least until the new diesel Ranger's come out in '19. Too bad Chevy/GMC, we were cash buyers......
If my truck was older and out of warranty , I may have well taken the chance but after buying a new truck at the cost of 45K , I was extremely cautious. Nothing disastrously may have happened but if something did happen because I used my vehicle for a purpose it was not intended I doubt Ram was going to pick up the repair tab under warranty.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #130

When we had Scamp install a universal rail/hitch for our 2016 19' gooseneck, it was simply attached to the bed with big bolts and washers. That camper weighed about 3300# loaded and tongue was about 500#. I hardly knew I was towing with the 2015 gas Canyon until hills and headwinds.
Coming back from Chilliwack with the new TA was another story. At 1000# more and 800# (est) tongue the little gas engine was a poor performer in nearly all power bands. I'm going to order a 2018 Canyon diesel and be done with it. BTW, put Tacoma in the same group as inadequate for a TA (and likely a 21') towing.
Trademaster installed the Ultimate hitch to the Canyon bed and frame, and it's a so much better a tow platform that I couldn't care less about what some dealership guy surmises re. any warranty issues. Motor/power train warranty? Certainly not. Rusty bed in 10 years? Who cares. Beds are cheap.
Get what you want,enjoy it, and don't sweat the small stuff and have some fun
Old 06-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #131

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
If you live in the US, the Magnuson-Moss act states that the auto manufacturer cannot void the vehicle warranty due to installed aftermarket parts, unless they can attribute the problem to the aftermarket part. In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:19 PM   #132
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
If you live in the US, the Magnuson-Moss act states that the auto manufacturer cannot void the vehicle warranty due to installed aftermarket parts, unless they can attribute the problem to the aftermarket part. In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.
Bingo. The claims from the dealers didn't sound credible to me. Also, unless a warranty explicitly states that a certain part or aftermarket add-on will void the warranty, they're blowing smoke.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Bingo. The claims from the dealers didn't sound credible to me. Also, unless a warranty explicitly states that a certain part or aftermarket add-on will void the warranty, they're blowing smoke.
Thanks to both you and ATHiker for the encouraging posts. But I have 2 issues. First, Chevy/GMC ccould potentially blame "loads" from pulling or handling for certain warranty problems that might arise. Second, why would the peddlers try to discourage me from shelling cash?

That said, I have a formal written, inquiry to Chevy on this. I really want you both to be right here, and will report back.

Thx again....
Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
When we had Scamp install a universal rail/hitch for our 2016 19' gooseneck, it was simply attached to the bed with big bolts and washers. That camper weighed about 3300# loaded and tongue was about 500#. I hardly knew I was towing with the 2015 gas Canyon until hills and headwinds.
Coming back from Chilliwack with the new TA was another story. At 1000# more and 800# (est) tongue the little gas engine was a poor performer in nearly all power bands. I'm going to order a 2018 Canyon diesel and be done with it. BTW, put Tacoma in the same group as inadequate for a TA (and likely a 21') towing.
Trademaster installed the Ultimate hitch to the Canyon bed and frame, and it's a so much better a tow platform that I couldn't care less about what some dealership guy surmises re. any warranty issues. Motor/power train warranty? Certainly not. Rusty bed in 10 years? Who cares. Beds are cheap.
Get what you want,enjoy it, and don't sweat the small stuff and have some fun
I wouldn't bet agin you, and it sure seems like the Colorado/Canyon Duramax set up is way more capable than the other "mid sizes". I also admire your attitude. But I won't be following you, since a Duramax engine/drive train problem could very well push 5 figures....
Old 06-24-2017, 05:45 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I too did not believe the dealer and called Ram directly
Ram did NOT say that warranty coverage would definitely be denied but only that it Could be Denied if they determined that the damage was caused by using the vehicle for a non intended purpose or in violation of the owner's manual.
I neither have the desire , money or legal expertise to have a legal battle with a large auto mfg with a team of engineers and lawyers.

My owner's manual doesn't explicitly tell me that I can't run my car into a brick wall or that warranty coverage will be denied if I do but I doubt that argument will hold up in court.
If I want to tow a 5th wheel trailer then I will buy a vehicle that is designed ,rated , built and listed by the mfg for that purpose.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #136
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I too did not believe the dealer and called Ram directly
Ram did NOT say that warranty coverage would definitely be denied but only that it Could be Denied if they determined that the damage was caused by using the vehicle for a non intended purpose or in violation of the owner's manual.
I neither have the desire , money or legal expertise to have a legal battle with a large auto mfg with a team of engineers and lawyers.

My owner's manual doesn't explicitly tell me that I can't run my car into a brick wall or that warranty coverage will be denied if I do but I doubt that argument will hold up in court.
If I want to tow a 5th wheel trailer then I will buy a vehicle that is designed ,rated , built and listed by the mfg for that purpose.
You have some very good points Steve. If it came down to them denying a warranty claim, you'd be stuck unless you wanted to legally fight.

Truth be told though, I think most vehicle manufacturers are counting on that. Deep pockets and a staff of attorneys.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #137

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... Chevy/GMC could potentially blame "loads" from pulling or handling for certain warranty problems that might arise.
They can't legitimately blame those loads if they are within the vehicle's allowed limits. That means keeping Gross Axle Weight, Gross Vehicle Weight, and Gross Combined Weight within their respective ratings. And, as already mentioned, not drilling holes in the frame.

The owner's manual does not list every possible thing you could carry in the box. That doesn't mean you can't carry those things, as long as they are within the stated load limits.

Quote:
... why would the peddlers try to discourage me from shelling cash?
They want to you to shell out even more cash for a larger truck. If they can convince you that you need leather seats to handle the trailer, they'll sell you those, too.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #138

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Fifth wheel hitches are a towing solution for really heavy trailers. Mid size and full size light duty pickups can not safely pull really heavy trailers, so they are not labelled as 5th wheel capable. They are thinking "large", "really really large" and can't wrap their heads around "light", "really really light" fifth wheels. Its just not on their radar. The dealerships get warranty claims every year from people pulling trailers the size of a Carnival cruise ship so they are justifiably nervous.

Having said that, I can't think of anyway of damaging a truck while pulling a trailer if you are within the load ratings. Moving the hitch to over the wheels only reduces the chance of damage. Its in their bed loading charts. Its common sense. The load is the same on the drive train no matter where the hitch is. An equalizer hitch has the same sort of effect of a 5th wheel hitch by transferring the weight forward (while torquing the frame), so the effect on the suspension is similar. If I purchase a fifth wheel hitch and simply place a box of the components in the back of the truck, am I voiding the warranty? If I install a fifth wheel hitch in the truck without drilling the frame and never use it, am I voiding the warranty? If I put a fifth wheel hitch in the truck and connect it to a trailer weighing 100 lbs, am I voiding the warranty? If I put a fifth wheel hitch in the truck and connect it to a trailer that fits within the specified weight capacities, am I voiding the warranty?

The guy that used to live across the street from my parents was a service adviser for a dealership. He couldn't change the floor mats in his car if his life depended on it. Sometimes you have to consider the source of the information.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #139

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Love common sense.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #140

Quote:
I wouldn't bet agin you, and it sure seems like the Colorado/Canyon Duramax set up is way more capable than the other "mid sizes". I also admire your attitude. But I won't be following you, since a Duramax engine/drive train problem could very well push 5 figures....
True that! I've seen a lot of 2017 Denalis with stickers over $65K USD! Of course, since sales of the twins are far down because of deeply discounted full size trucks, new SLTs are going for far less but that's still mucho dinero. Resale/trade $ is down because of that, also.
Anyway, Judy says I can't do any shopping till after my 70th in March, and/or I actually retire. Aw nuts