Diesel GMC Canyon Towing Escape 21 - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #141

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
"If I install a fifth wheel hitch in the truck without drilling the frame and never use it, am I voiding the warranty? If I put a fifth wheel hitch in the truck and connect it to a trailer weighing 100 lbs, am I voiding the warranty? If I put a fifth wheel hitch in the truck and connect it to a trailer that fits within the specified weight capacities, am I voiding the warranty?"

As of yesterday PM, Chevy OFFICIALLY says, yes, yes, and yes. Just the messenger here, and I agree with you directionally, technically. Now, theoretically, a high hitch point (i.e., a 5th wheel hitch plate several inches off the already high bed of a 4wd Colorado) along with their (relative) narrowness, could lean you. But I agree that Chevy is thinking of trailers 50-125% larger than a 5.0 TA.

Think I'll shell the little bux to fix my stubborn '95 K2500 oil seep, buy new front shocks, and keep it. At least until the US frac fleet wears out, can't be replaced with foreign spec $ like 10 years ago, and oil and gas prices finally rise......
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:06 PM   #142

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
True that! I've seen a lot of 2017 Denalis with stickers over $65K USD! Of course, since sales of the twins are far down because of deeply discounted full size trucks, new SLTs are going for far less but that's still mucho dinero. Resale/trade $ is down because of that, also.
Anyway, Judy says I can't do any shopping till after my 70th in March, and/or I actually retire. Aw nuts
This is what I got for my 70th last year...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0419.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #143

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
As of yesterday PM, Chevy OFFICIALLY says, yes, yes, and yes. Just the messenger here, and I agree with you directionally, technically. Now, theoretically, a high hitch point (i.e., a 5th wheel hitch plate several inches off the already high bed of a 4wd Colorado) along with their (relative) narrowness, could lean you. But I agree that Chevy is thinking of trailers 50-125% larger than a 5.0 TA.
Not to belabour the point, though I have been accused of being arguementative , but which warranty is void? Windshield wipers? Radio? Suspension? Drivetrain?
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #144

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
...Think I'll shell the little bux to fix my stubborn '95 K2500 oil seep, buy new front shocks, and keep it. At least until the US frac fleet wears out, can't be replaced with foreign spec $ like 10 years ago, and oil and gas prices finally rise......
I tow my 5.0 ta with the a 95 Chev 4x4 long box extend cab. It is the queen mary for length and fuel consumption. But we own it, would get nothing on a trade, and don't really go far.
We do carry towing insurance for both the truck and the trailer.
If/when we plan a long trip, then it'll be time to reconsider this as a tow rig.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #145

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This is what I got for my 70th last year...
Hi: cpaharley2008... What's the tow Cap. for your "Dark horse"? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #146

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... What's the tow Cap. for your "Dark horse"? Alf
Towing not recommended, 435 HP/400 torque/20" Summer only tires with GT track and performance package. I do not think there is any frame behind the rear end and it is too low to the ground.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #147

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Towing not recommended, 435 HP/400 torque/20" Summer only tires with GT track and performance package. I do not think there is any frame behind the rear end and it is too low to the ground.
No modern car has a separate body and frame, unless you count aluminum spaceframes and composite tubs as "frames". The Mustang has substantial structure all the way to the bumper mounts, like every other car, but of course it's not designed specifically for a hitch receiver. The crude receiver designs used by most North American suppliers will not fit as well as the Euro-style designs which are integrated with the bumper (none of which are likely available for the Mustang, since Ford would not endorse one); however, the typical North American Draw-Tite and Curt models available from eTrailer appear to fit reasonably well.

I'm not suggesting that anyone tow with a Mustang, only that there's nothing special about it which prevents the mounting of a hitch.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #148

Trailer: None now
He could flick his line lock on and make the trailer disappear.
Here's some ideas for him.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #149

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: cpaharley2008... So even with that much horsepower and torque, it's all "Go" and no "Tow". Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #150

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Too bad it's not a convertible. Then you could get a 5.0 TA (just no, or just uncomfortable, passengers in the back seat.).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #151

Trailer: None now
He could remove the trunk lid and with a little welding have something quite unique. Or make a dual use rear spoiler/mount for the 5.0. Just think of all the facebook and reddit pictures that would appear when he took it out.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:43 PM   #152

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
Thought Id add what we got pulling a 19 wit the gas version 2015 Colorado, 305hp and about 255 ft lbs torque. We returned a few weeks ago from our 5800 mile trip picking up the camper and taking the long trip back to Wisconsin going over , sierras and rockys. We averaged 13.6 mpg and were often over 70 mph. The tow function worked great wth very good power up the mountains. Without trailer I get about 24.3 mpg on interstate annd average about 21.7. The305 hp engine has great pickup. Its the same engine as in the Camaro and feels that way one you want to use it. Diesel would be nice but when I compare the numbers Im not sure if its worth the extra cost for the 3 mpg difference and loss of quickness. Was very happy with the performance pulling the 19.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 AM   #153

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
This is very interesting. I am looking at the 2017 Canyon gas, and possibly the diesel. Curious to know if you used a weight distribution hitch. I am hearing the Canyon doesn't sag too much, and am hearing conflicting arguments about WD hitches. Maybe a WD hitch is not required and a simple anti sway device is all that is needed. If you do use a WD which one did you go with?
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #154

Definitely wd hitch. Worked great. Bought an e2 with 600 lb bars. Can't imagine not having that hitch. You here from those that don't use them that it's fine without but those that use them know the difference. If you have a washboard road it can get uncomfortable with the distribution of weight to the vehicle but plus's far outweigh that negative, at least with the Colorado.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #155

One other thing. I have the 7000lb haul capacity with the Z1 package
Old 07-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #156

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Potential Issue with Colorado/Canyon diesel

Depending on where you camp, this may be an issue if you are planning to tow with the Colorado/Canyon diesel.

Part of the emissions system on the truck is a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). This filter has to be cleaned out periodically (regenerated), which the truck does automatically by entering an operating mode that raises exhaust gas temperatures high enough to "burn off" the trapped soot. This usually happens without fuss, and most of the time goes unnoticed, but under some circumstances it may not be able to complete the regeneration cycle, in which case, if you don't take appropriate steps (or if they don't work), the truck enters a reduced power "limp" mode which requires a dealer visit to correct.

Last week, we were camping near Alamosa, CO at the Zapata Falls CG. Access to this campground is via an extremely rough (basically, large cobblestones) road that rises from 8000-9000 feet elevation in the 2.5 miles from the highway to the campground. No trouble getting the 21 up there, but very, very slow - 5 mph or less for 30-45 minutes. In this situation, the diesel generates a large soot load with no way to complete the regeneration: such a large load, in fact, that even when we went back down the mountain and followed instructions (basically, drive 30 minutes or so at 30 mph or faster) to complete a regen cycle, it didn't clear the code and we ended up in limp mode until we could get the truck in to the local GMC dealer (only 30 miles from the campground, fortunately). No lasting harm, and we still enjoyed the trip, but I'm still having visions of being stuck way out in the back country, 50-100 or more miles from a dealer, with the trailer and a tow vehicle stuck in low power limp mode.

Until now I have been very pleased with this tow vehicle, and I'm still researching alternate solutions, but right now I'm going to be pretty reluctant to head out into the back country with the trailer. This is quite irritating, because we bought the truck specifically as a tow vehicle with every intention of doing the kind of camping we did last week.

If your camping style keeps you near the pavement, or at least always near good, well-maintained roads, this will be a non-issue and the Canyon diesel is an excellent tug for Escapes. Otherwise, this is definitely something to consider.

I'll do another post if/when I find a solution.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #157

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
Depending on where you camp, this may be an issue if you are planning to tow with the Colorado/Canyon diesel.

Part of the emissions system on the truck is a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)...
Any current diesel truck requires a DPF to meet modern emission standards, so they will all potentially have this sort of issue. They also have a Selective Catalytic Reduction system (which requires a urea solution), which may have its own issues. I've heard similar reports from owners of other brands.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:19 AM   #158

Quote:

Part of the emissions system on the truck is a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). This filter has to be cleaned out periodically (regenerated), which the truck does automatically by entering an operating mode that raises exhaust gas temperatures high enough to "burn off" the trapped soot. This usually happens without fuss, and most of the time goes unnoticed, but under some circumstances it may not be able to complete the regeneration cycle, in which case, if you don't take appropriate steps (or if they don't work), the truck enters a reduced power "limp" mode which requires a dealer visit to correct.

Last week, we were camping near Alamosa, CO at the Zapata Falls CG. Access to this campground is via an extremely rough (basically, large cobblestones) road that rises from 8000-9000 feet elevation in the 2.5 miles from the highway to the campground. No trouble getting the 21 up there, but very, very slow - 5 mph or less for 30-45 minutes. In this situation, the diesel generates a large soot load with no way to complete the regeneration: such a large load, in fact, that even when we went back down the mountain and followed instructions (basically, drive 30 minutes or so at 30 mph or faster) to complete a regen cycle, it didn't clear the code and we ended up in limp mode until we could get the truck in to the local GMC dealer (only 30 miles from the campground, fortunately). No lasting harm, and we still enjoyed the trip, but I'm still having visions of being stuck way out in the back country, 50-100 or more miles from a dealer, with the trailer and a tow vehicle stuck in low power limp mode.

Until now I have been very pleased with this tow vehicle, and I'm still researching alternate solutions, but right now I'm going to be pretty reluctant to head out into the back country with the trailer. This is quite irritating, because we bought the truck specifically as a tow vehicle with every intention of doing the kind of camping we did last week.

If your camping style keeps you near the pavement, or at least always near good, well-maintained roads, this will be a non-issue and the Canyon diesel is an excellent tug for Escapes. Otherwise, this is definitely something to consider.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm no expert, but I thought you could find gadgets that let you clear your own codes. Just a vague, possibly flawed, memory. But I'll look, as I wouldn't want to be in that position with the 2018 Colorado, Z71, Duramax, crewcab, long bed, 4wd, and 5.0 TA, both being built.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:38 AM   #159

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:

Thank you!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:44 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Any current diesel truck requires a DPF to meet modern emission standards, so they will all potentially have this sort of issue. They also have a Selective Catalytic Reduction system (which requires a urea solution), which may have its own issues. I've heard similar reports from owners of other brands.

Brian, you are obviously more knowledgeable than me on this. If you "clear the codes" with one of those $50 code clearing boxes, will that get you back to a point where you can burn up the excess soot? Or better yet, just pull your negative battery line for 30 seconds, and then reconnect? Again, NO experience with these. and very little understanding of modern truck electronics. I've just read about them.....