Driving lessons: common sense, or a lapse in machismo? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Old 05-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #21
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. We aren't doing this until mid-September, but will post a report in this thread or a new one after the lesson.

For those who asked, Valley quoted $85 per hour for instruction. Here's a link to their web page: About Us - Greater Vancouver/Surrey/Abbotsford

Google says they are one minute away from Escape Trailer Industries on Industrial Way in Chilliwack.

Brent and Cheryl.
Catchlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #22
Trailer: 5.0
My wife and I had the same idea and did it. We used the Euro Driving School which is located in Surrey B.C. The instructor met us at ETI after our morning orientation. He spent the rest of the day with us, with us taking turns pulling the trailer and backing it and parking it. Attila is a great and patient teacher and it was well worth the $300 dollars for us both. He can be reached at 604-809-3876.

Al & Donna

Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #23
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
By far the Best advise I got was from SallyP, "To back up straight, keep your head still and watch your mirrors. Turn the steering wheel in the direction of the mirror that you see your trailer in."
Great advise. Most definitely use the mirrors, and do not turn your body around....ever!!

I have reversed thousands of times, and never actually thought of the idea of turning the steering wheel towards the mirror you see the trailer in to straighten out. I could see that being helpful for inexperienced towers. Great idea, and encourages proper use of mirrors. A way better idea than a few other 'tricks' that I have heard suggested.
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (someday soon, I hope )
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #24
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
In my opinion, you don't need to pick up very much to make it worth the time or expense.

After riding motorcycles for >40 years, I recently took a pair of motorcycle courses. It was quite embarrassing to find out how much I was doing wrong.

I like the idea of taking the class with my wife, though I'd probably do it locally.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #25
Trailer: None yet
Backing anything takes practice, I see the driver's ed cars in my neighborhood teaching kids how to back around a corner every day. As others have said earlier good communication and clear signals are a must.

One of the most useful tools to backing I learned about in the Air Force backing large helicopters into small hangers, flashlights with 12" long orange tubes on the ends. They are visible in the daytime as well as night. The orange tube is more visible to the tug operator than a bare hand is.

I also think training in backing a trailer is a very wise investment in your confidence and competence. Kudos.
kluanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #26
Site Team
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Frankly, I think everyone who tows a trailer should learn to back it up and get it into a site or space without ANY help.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #27
Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4
As a road biker, one of the things I fear most is seeing a trailer, or worse, a rental RV bearing down on me along with oncoming traffic. I wouldn't mind if training for hauling a trailer or an RV was mandatory.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #28
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I have to agree. I biked across the U.S. From Astoria, Or. To Bar Harbor, ME. As you would expect, lots of logging trucks, grain trucks, etc. But the only really close call came from a large(35-40') motor home pulling a matching trailer that was large enough to contain an SUV(and probably did). The professional drivers were pretty courteous, and while they didn't always leave a lot of room, it was obvious that they understood how large their vehicles were and there was enough room for all parties on the road. But my impression is that a few of the RV drivers were either new to this, or drove their RV only occasionally and didn't have an appreciation of how far their mirrors stuck out.

I also feel compelled to mention there are a few cyclists who could use the safe cycling course from the League of American Bicyclists.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #29
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
...But my impression is that a few of the RV drivers were either new to this, or drove their RV only occasionally and didn't have an appreciation of how far their mirrors stuck out.
I agree - this is a common issue for drivers of all sorts of RVs. In a way, Class A motorhomes are not as bad as smaller vehicles towing trailers, because with a trailer its easy to forget how wider the trailer is compared to the tug.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #30
Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *2012 17B
Valley Driving school

Did anyone end up doing this? If so was it worthwhile?

Which did you take:
RV Towing
or Trailer towing

Chapi II
2014 5.0TA
2012 17B Chapi
2011 Silverado
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote