Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB best for towing a 5.0TA?? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
NO , cigarettes are too expensive
Maybe his brother[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #62

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Maybe his brother[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I don't know or understand why this is important but here we go
1) Curt C lives in Dairyland Wi ( Beer , Pot , likes the small fuel tank)
2) Dave B lives in North Branch Mn ( Smokes 2 packs a day )
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #63

Quote:
I don't know or understand why this is important but here we go
1) Curt C lives in Dairyland Wi ( Beer , Pot , likes the small fuel tank)
2) Dave B lives in North Branch Mn ( Smokes 2 packs a day )
Got it
Old 12-30-2017, 09:15 PM   #64

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I guess you guys/ gals that have F150's with the 36 gal tank, max tow package, load package, etc ordered a custom built truck? When I 1st started looking at F150's, I went to the Ford website and built my truck, then searched the local inventory available at the local dealers.

Pretty funny, nobody has what I wanted. Plus, sales people are not very helpful, they just want to make a quick sale, and what they have is what you need. Nothing against car sales people, but they can really waste your time. Dealers in my area have hundreds of F150's, but fairly difficult to tell what has what, and takes a lot of searching/ research. The Toyota dealers are the same or worse.

I have also found it difficult to get a brochure that's has all the specifications. Last time I looked, the Ford website didn't even have the 2018 F150 brochure available for download, and I have never seen a hard copy at any dealer. I did find the Ford towing manual that had all the towing specs and options, so that was great.

So, I have been considering what was available off the lot. I'm thinking I don't want to get a one off, that no one else wants when it comes time to trade for a new one. Plus, I think would probably get a better deal to buy something off the lot they already have and want to sell. The dealers generally know what is popular and orders accordingly.

I have some more comments about F150's, but may start another thread. Any comments welcomed. Thanks
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #65
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I guess you guys/ gals that have F150's with the 36 gal tank, max tow package, load package, etc ordered a custom built truck? When I 1st started looking at F150's, I went to the Ford website and built my truck, then searched the local inventory available at the local dealers.

Pretty funny, nobody has what I wanted. Plus, sales people are not very helpful, they just want to make a quick sale, and what they have is what you need. Nothing against car sales people, but they can really waste your time. Dealers in my area have hundreds of F150's, but fairly difficult to tell what has what, and takes a lot of searching/ research. The Toyota dealers are the same or worse.

I have also found it difficult to get a brochure that's has all the specifications. Last time I looked, the Ford website didn't even have the 2018 F150 brochure available for download, and I have never seen a hard copy at any dealer. I did find the Ford towing manual that had all the towing specs and options, so that was great.

So, I have been considering what was available off the lot. I'm thinking I don't want to get a one off, that no one else wants when it comes time to trade for a new one. Plus, I think would probably get a better deal to buy something off the lot they already have and want to sell. The dealers generally know what is popular and orders accordingly.

I have some more comments about F150's, but may start another thread. Any comments welcomed. Thanks
My experience is, in order to get the truck you want, you're gonna have to order it. The dealer lots are full of XLT's around here, almost none of which have the combination of equipment I'm looking for. I ordered my 2015, and when I turn it in come March, It'll be replaced with an ordered 2018. Find a Ford dealer that specializes in TRUCKS if you can. I'm fortunate that I deal with a guy in Buda who sells only trucks, and knows them through and through. NONE of the dealers in the San Antonio area give me the service he does, so it's worth the hour drive.

Many people just don't know trucks, and only buy one because they like the look or whatever. Here in Texas it seems that everyone wants a truck, although they basically use them as daily drivers. Dealers do order what's popular, but sometimes what's popular isn't what makes sense. For example, most F150's sold at Red McCombs or one of the other local dealers are 4X4's, but will never see anything but smooth pavement their entire life. I would not worry about winding up with a "one-off". Get what works for you.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #66

"My experience is, in order to get the truck you want, you're gonna have to order it."

rbryan4, thanks for reply, think is probably good advice.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #67

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
For me, getting the bigger tank is a great idea for one reason....back country exploring. If you camp in the boonies and like to explore you don't want to worry about having to find a gas station after a day or two. My current truck gets like 10-12 mpg towing and maybe 14mpg unloaded. So my exploring involves lots of planning so it doesn't also involve walking to the gas station.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:29 PM   #68

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Dealers trade between each other all the time. If your local dealer doesn’t have what you want on the lot, a motivated salesperson will search until they find one, then contact the other dealer and work out a trade. I wanted the FX4 off-road package, max tow, super crew, 36 gallon tank - all of which was easy to do - but adding the 6.5 bed onto the equation made it “a unicorn” (rare). My local dealer searched and searched then found one a full state away, then sent a driver with a trade truck who brought me an only slightly broken in unicorn.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Dealers trade between each other all the time. If your local dealer doesn’t have what you want on the lot, a motivated salesperson will search until they find one, then contact the other dealer and work out a trade. I wanted the FX4 off-road package, max tow, super crew, 36 gallon tank - all of which was easy to do - but adding the 6.5 bed onto the equation made it “a unicorn” (rare). My local dealer searched and searched then found one a full state away, then sent a driver with a trade truck who brought me an only slightly broken in unicorn.
That's true. Always have them do a search in your part of the country for what you want. I've not found the right truck doing that, but many have.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:22 PM   #70

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I just went online and searched all available stock in Canada. As it was the end of the current model year selection was slim. I ended up finding a truck with all the options I wanted, and many more, right here in Calgary. The only option it didn't have the I wanted was a built-in tailgate step. As it was the end of the year, I was able to negotiate a really good price, way less then buying the next year's model with a lot less options.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I just went online and searched all available stock in Canada. As it was the end of the current model year selection was slim. I ended up finding a truck with all the options I wanted, and many more, right here in Calgary. The only option it didn't have the I wanted was a built-in tailgate step. As it was the end of the year, I was able to negotiate a really good price, way less then buying the next year's model with a lot less options.
Yep, you lucked out Jim.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:29 AM   #72

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had to order mine too. I also had to figure out exactly what to order as the sales people were useless on valid configurations. They had never heard of the Max Payload Package and had to call Ford to see if it was for real.

It's one thing to find a dealer that specializes in trucks, as mine did, it's another matter to find a competent salesman.

I bought mine through Ford's X plan, which only the dealers finance minister knew anything about. Part of the online planer for it includes punching in exactly what you want and it spits out a sticker with the price which you bring to the dealer and they go by. Should have been simple, but it wasn't.

The Max Payload must be an odd duck, even the parts stores stumble when you go in looking for brake parts for 7 lug wheels.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #73

I like the 36 gallon tank too. I stop often, but sometimes, West Texas for example, you can be a long way between gas stations. Also, since I run the refrig on propane, I always stop before the gas station to turn off propane. After I fill-up with gas, I stop again to turn the propane back on, so a hassle to get gas. 36 gallons means I have to do the propane drill less often, a big plus.

I considered the danger of having more gas, 36 gallons vs 23 or 26 gallons. I guess, if your truck catches fire, doesn't really matter, it's going to be bad with whatever. So 36 gallon tank probably not a safety issue compared with a smaller tank.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:22 PM   #74

Trailer: 2018 21'
I thought my dealer did their job. I walked in with a list of questions which they answered. I then came back with a list of "must haves" and a list of "want to haves" and after a few days they were able to find a truck at another dealer that they traded for. I get a special pricing plan through my employer and they handled those details well. I went over it inch by inch and found a couple of very minor issues (scratch on mirror...) which they took care of promptly (after an apology). YMMV.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I have owned pick ups for 35 years, and two years ago I bought a used 2006 diesel Dodge 2500. This is my first diesel and for me I will never go back to gas. I also have a farm so I use it also to haul cattle trailers but I am so impressed with the torque and power of a diesel is just amazing. Something to consider. But the F1 50 is more than enough power to do what you were wanting to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I have owned pick ups for 35 years, and two years ago I bought a used 2006 diesel Dodge 2500. This is my first diesel and for me I will never go back to gas. I also have a farm so I use it also to haul cattle trailers but I am so impressed with the torque and power of a diesel is just amazing. Something to consider. But the F1 50 is more than enough power to do what you were wanting to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I needed a 2500 or bigger series truck I might consider diesel, but for 1/2 ton the eco boost is top dog. The new 3.5 has 375 hp and 470 ft lbs of torque at 2500.rpm. 90% of the torque is available from 1700 to 5000 rpm. You could tow 2 escapes with this kind of power. My little 2.7, IMHO, is a perfect match for our 5.0 TA. If I where looking to upgrade it would be to the 3.5.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #77

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I like a lot of things about the Ford F150 ,the Eco Boost is one thing I am not enamored with . From my conversations with my local Ford dealer , Ford mechanics , auto mechanics , and viewing the internet, Ford still has a few bugs to work out of the Eco Boost.
They are a very complicated , expensive engine to buy and maintain from what I can ascertain .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #78

I just looked at 2018 F150 specs, 2.7 EB makes 400 ft-lb at 2750 revs, 3.5 EB 470 ft-lb at 3500 revs, prior years are a little less performance. I haven't driven one, but bet 2.7 EB pulls very similar to diesel.

This is example of why confusing, these are 2018 F150 packages related to towing: (1) 2.7L V6 EcoBoost® Payload Package, (2) Class IV Trailer Hitch, (3) Heavy-Duty Payload Package, (4) Max Trailer Tow Package, and (5) Trailer Tow Package. I copied this info from 2018 F150 specifications. As I understand it, Max Trailer Tow Package is only for 3.5 EB, Trailer Tow Package is for 2.7 EB.

No one at dealer has knowledge or can explain the towing options. Plus, it's time consuming to search for vehicles that have specific options. Just my experience, YMMV. Cheers, Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #79

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
I like a lot of things about the Ford F150 ,the Eco Boost is one thing I am not enamored with . From my conversations with my local Ford dealer , Ford mechanics , auto mechanics , and viewing the internet, Ford still has a few bugs to work out of the Eco Boost.
They are a very complicated , expensive engine to buy and maintain from what I can ascertain .
They are getting a bad rap over on the Airstream forums
Please help: 2018 Globetrotter => 2018 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew Confirmation - Page 12 - Airstream Forums
Old 01-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #80
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
I just looked at 2018 F150 specs, 2.7 EB makes 400 ft-lb at 2750 revs, 3.5 EB 470 ft-lb at 3500 revs, prior years are a little less performance. I haven't driven one, but bet 2.7 EB pulls very similar to diesel.
This is a result of the redesign of the 2.7L EcoBoost for 2018. It features both direct and port injection, and has 25 lb/ft more torque than my 2015 2.7L. It will also be paired for the first time with the 10 speed transmission. This ought to be an impressive combination for light/medium duty towing, and I can't wait to drive it this spring.

I've been entirely pleased with the 2.7L EcoBoost over 3 years. The new one looks to be even better.