Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB best for towing a 5.0TA?? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Ford F-150 2.7 or 3.5 EB best for towing a 5.0TA??

New person on the forum here, with a question! In trying to decide on an RV, my spouse and I (both experienced but aging tent campers) have gone from a pop-up pickup camper to a hardside pickup camper to a camper van and then on to some sort of a trailer, and we have finally settled on an Escape 5.0TA as exactly the right RV! We are close to making a deposit, but first need to make another big decision, and that is what is the right tow vehicle. We currently do not own a pickup. After doing a ton of reading, including a fair amount on this forum, it seems to me that the 2018 F-150 3.5 liter EcoBoost offers the best mix of capability and efficiency in a gas engine. So the question for all you F-150 aficionados out there (and anyone else who wants to weigh in), would the 2.7 liter EB with 3.55 axle ratio do the job as well?? I'm a firm believer in investing in a pickup with capability to spare, in other words, not pushing the specified limits for towing, payload, GCWR, etc... and I definitely don't want to be tooling down the highway worried about full tanks and whatever gear we've brought compromising our safety because of weight. But at the same time, I don't want to buy more truck than we need... towing the 5.0TA will be by far the biggest job our truck will do. Ford says the 2018 2.7 EB has 25% more torque than the 2017 and earlier models, and a loaded 5.0TA is well under its max tow rating of 7,600 lbs. We live in Idaho, however, and are planning to travel all over the western US and Canada, so pulling up and down mountain passes every time we take it out is a given. I'm certain the 3.5 will do the job beautifully, but would the 2.7 do it as well?? The 2.7 costs less and gets slightly better non-towing mpg, which are the main reasons I'm still considering it. I know there are many experienced folks on here with lots of good thoughts and advice, they are much appreciated and so far I have learned a lot from all your posts!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote