Fuel economy with Escape 19' - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
Re: Fuel economy with Escape 19'

I have been driving my Dodge Laramie Long horn 1500, for over 30 thousand K so far and get good milage. So far this year we have been to Alaska twice, and a couple of locations maround here. Bush roads can be hard on fuel.

The truck through city and highway driving gets about 20 K per litre, when I am pulling the 19 I get around 17 K per litre.
I also have 118 litres in tha tank as well as 218 litres in a slip tank in the back of the truck as well as a 2KW generator.

Some of the mountain roads are quite steep, especialy coming out of Skagway. not so bad going to Haines

The engine in my truck is the Hemi 390 hp, that cuts down to 4 cylinders when on easier going, and around the city.

The 19 tracks well and is hardly noticable.
With all the weight My biggest worry is heat build up in the tires on a hot day, with all the weight in back.

Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #12

What do you mean by "20 K per litre"? If this means 20 kilometre per litre that also means 5 litres per 100 km... which is the standard way to speak about fuel consumption. And 5l/100km would be a FANTASTIC fuel consumption!!!! Better than most hybrid very small cars!

Dr_Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp

Although I have never been to Alaska and I can understand fuel stations being far apart, with the factory stock 25 gal tank you have, adding another 60 gal tank would give you over a 1000 mile range?
Are they that far apart in Alaska?
never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #14

Originally Posted by Dr_Pax
What do you mean by "20 K per litre"?
I assume that YE means 20l/100km. That would be a somewhat reasonable real-world consumption.

justmeinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

I've driven Alaska and Yukon / Northwest Territories and the gas stations with small villages are statically spaced so you can go from one to the other usually on a tank of gas in a typical Auto with out a loaded down trailer.Some are a little closer than others. What I did was carry a 20L can of gas full just in case. Because there was one or two stations that had gone out of business. I never used it but came close twice. When the fuel light comes on you tend to get a little anxious and to have some back up gives some piece of mind.
A good quality road map has the miles indicated between towns. I would sit with my morning coffee and add them up. Oh one more thing some gas stations are closed on Sundays and most close early 6 Pm.
I've almost been everywhere man.
Almost been everywhere.....
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
Trailer: 2010 Escape 15B (c)
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just came back 200 mile round trip weekend, managed 15.5 mpg towing with a Dodge Ram 4x4 BigHorn hemi with 6 speed auto. Did not use tow mode which cuts out o/d and keeps it in 5th. Terrain was hilly with some climbs to 1000 feet. Trailer was loaded with food and tanks were 25% full. I checked the tongue weight- 350#. Normal towing SOB is 12 mpg, normal driving is 12 mpg. Mid-range gas, 10,000 miles on odometer with cap on rear and 2 passengers and 2 dogs and 150 lbs in truck bed (grill/chairs/firewood)
Going to try another trip with Jeep Liberty v-6 to compare.
How did the trip with the Jeep go?. I have the same vehicle (3.7L).

Dixhiccup is offline   Reply With Quote