Full size pickup as a tow vehicle - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Many of us use an F150. You do have to have enough payload capacity. For myself I figure I need roughly 800-900 for the trailer and the hitch, then add passengers and gear you want in the truck.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
I need to ask if it's possible to pull an Escape 5.0 or 5.0TA with a full size Ford F150 without any special modifications? I have just been "freaked out" to find out that this is an issue with other 5s

You should have no problem. We did raise our 5.0 and it worked well. 17 mpg towing. F-150 4x4. Ordered new 5.0TA with raised axles. Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connie and John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Full size pickup as a tow vehicle

As Bob and others have pointed out, the issue is payload capacity. Unlike a bumper pull, some of the trailer weight rests in the bed. So, just as an example, if your payload capacity is 1000 lbs, and your pin weight is 500-600 lbs, that means you only have 400-500 lbs of capacity left- for all other cargo, including the passengers and you the driver.

So, the extra 400 or 500 lbs of payload capacity in SOME 1/2 ton pickups comes in very handy. Since you asked specifically about the F150, it's payload capacity varies from around 1500 lbs to around 2300 lbs, depending on how it's equipped. Bottom line is it can easily handle a 5.0TA and you'll still have capacity for other things.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:12 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Our tongue weight on our 5TA is close to 800. - 825 - I think the 20% probably isn't too far off.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
As Bob and others have pointed out, the issue is payload capacity. Unlike a bumper pull, some of the trailer weight rests in the bed. So, just as an example, if your payload capacity is 1000 lbs, and your pin weight is 500-600 lbs, that means you only have 400-500 lbs of capacity left- for all other cargo, including the passengers and you the driver.

So, the extra 400 or 500 lbs of payload capacity in SOME 1/2 ton pickups comes in very handy. Since you asked specifically about the F150, it's payload capacity varies from around 1500 lbs to around 2300 lbs, depending on how it's equipped. Bottom line is it can easily handle a 5.0TA and you'll still have capacity for other things.

Hi: rbryan4... IMHO for what that's worth the owners manual payload figure includes a driver and full tank of gas. Without either the vehicle is of no use to anyone. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: rbryan4... IMHO for what that's worth the owners manual payload figure includes a driver and full tank of gas. Without either the vehicle is of no use to anyone. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I have heard that some pickups do not include driver weight, as that could be from 100 lbs to.... well, lots. But they do include fluid levels at full, which is of course mostly the fuel.

All I know is that with a 460 kg (1,012 lb) dry tongue weight of my temp trailer, there is not one noticeable bit of issue with it. Heck, it doesn't even drop the bed of the truck down very much at all when hitched.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #17

Trailer: None
As of 2010 ,the average American male weighs approx 200 lbs compared to 166 lbs in 1960 . In 2010 the average American women weighed 165 lbs versus approx 120 lbs in 1960.
The vehicle payload standard was 150 Lbs per passenger for years.
Most vehicles sold in the US including pickups when carrying there stated number of passenger would be over their payload capacity.
4 adult males riding in many passenger cars put the vehicle at 20% over its payload capacity . MY POINT ,!! We way underestimate the actual payload / tongue weight we will be carrying when towing so it fits into the limits of the tow vehicle we wish to use. I doubt you could find one Escape 5.0TA with the stated pin weight of 600 lbs or even close to 600 lbs when loaded for travel. If realistic ,real world weight numbers were used , many would soon find that even their 1/2 ton truck is well over its limits. My Ram 1500 has a listed payload of 1430 lbs and towing an Escape 5.0 TA would put me well over my payload limit when minimally loaded for travel.
So why do we continue to get questions like "Is anyone towing an Escape 21 with a VW beatle" ? . All it takes is about 5 minutes with a calculator to figure out if you can tow X with Y , yet these threads continue , mainly because we don't like the calculators answer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Not trying to open up Pandora's box here but the service managers from three different Ford dealerships have told me that the payload capacity as listed on the sticker on the driver's door frame are somewhat conservative and not to worry about towing the 5.0TA with my F150 or exceeding the cargo capacity a bit (150-200 lbs common answer). The 5.0TA loaded has a certified scale weight of 4,400 lbs. and a pin weight of 760 lbs. Even with the pin weight, standard 5th wheel hitch, and all the stuff I carry in the F150, I am a few pounds below the listed cargo capacity.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Is curb weight for pickups calculated differently than cars and SUV's?

Wiki says this about curb weight: Curb weight (US English) or kerb weight (UK English) is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables such as motor oil, transmission oil, coolant, air conditioning refrigerant, and a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

If it is the same, the curb weight (CW), gross combined weight rating (GCWR) and gross vehicle weight ratings (GVWR) should make accurate capacity calculations possible.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
So why do we continue to get questions like "Is anyone towing an Escape 21 with a VW beatle" ? . All it takes is about 5 minutes with a calculator to figure out if you can tow X with Y , yet these threads continue , mainly because we don't like the calculators answer.
A most cogent remark. Thank you.

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote