Hensley Hitch on Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Hensley Hitch on Escape 19

Hi all,

Doing a bit of research in anticipation of picking up our 19 this coming spring. I want to install a Hensley Cub anti sway/load distributing hitch on the trailer. They are pricy but from what I can see, the are outstanding and worth it.

Has anyone used a Hensley Hitch on a 19? Your thoughts? I'm concerned that there may not be enough room on the tongue to mount the hitch brackets. The Hensley tech I talked to said that these are 10 inches long. Can anyone tell me the distance between the propane tank and the storage box at tongue level?

Here's a link to the hitch manufacturer:

https://hensleymfg.com/product/hensl...trailer-hitch/
Thanks,

Dan
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
Hi all,

Doing a bit of research in anticipation of picking up our 19 this coming spring. I want to install a Hensley Cub anti sway/load distributing hitch on the trailer. They are pricy but from what I can see, the are outstanding and worth it.

Has anyone used a Hensley Hitch on a 19? Your thoughts? I'm concerned that there may not be enough room on the tongue to mount the hitch brackets. The Hensley tech I talked to said that these are 10 inches long. Can anyone tell me the distance between the propane tank and the storage box at tongue level?

Thanks,

Dan
The Hensley seems like a lot of hitch for a small trailer like an Escape. What is your planned tow vehicle?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks,

Dan
After watching someone hook up one on their Oliver I can say this.
Sure is a complicated looking device.
Heavy too when you add all the parts together. So it will subtract from your carrying weight. Not sure why you would want to use something that is really designed for far heavier trailers on a fairly lightweight unit. Yes it will manage sway better than almost anything else.
But that would only be useful if you intend to try towing with a Jeep Wrangler or some other short wheelbased vehicle. On anything else the sway is easily managed with the E2 or other much lower priced hitches.

To answer your question.
On the 2017 19 from the box to the white plastic propane cover is 7 1/2 inches. To the tank tray mounted to the top of the frame is 10 inches.
If the hitch rises above the frame the cover could be trimmed if needed
The tray could be shifted forwards about 1 1/2 total inches if you wanted to which would give you a 11 1/2 inches. But then you could not use the cover as the jack would be in the way.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #4

The tow vehicle is a Nissan NV 3500 van, more than adequate for the weight. I'm looking for the anti sway technology. If you look up Hensley Hitch on YouTube, they have some videos exploring the technology as well as demos. I've talked to folks that use these on airstreams and they swear by them.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't recall anybody on this forum, since 2008, complaining about sway on any of the Escape trailers. I have a $350 Pro Series on a RAV4 and have several times had to make abrupt lane changes and never experience sway.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
After watching someone hook up one on their Oliver I can say this.
Sure is a complicated looking device.
Heavy too when you add all the parts together. So it will subtract from your carrying weight. Not sure why you would want to use something that is really designed for far heavier trailers on a fairly lightweight unit. Yes it will manage sway better than almost anything else.
But that would only be useful if you intend to try towing with a Jeep Wrangler or some other short wheelbased vehicle. On anything else the sway is easily managed with the E2 or other much lower priced hitches
The "Cub" model of this hitch is rated for trailers to 25 feet and 6,000 pounds. Slight overkill. The new version of the Cub uses chains for the weight distribution which makes it more like a conventional W/D hitch. It is kinda heavy but mu tow vehicle is rated to 9,600 lbs so the additional weight doesn't bother me. From the videos, it looks fairly straightforward to set up.

The cost is excessive by comparison to other hitches. Don't know what to tell you about that...
Old 10-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The tow vehicle is a Nissan NV 3500 van, more than adequate for the weight. I'm looking for the anti sway technology. If you look up Hensley Hitch on YouTube, they have some videos exploring the technology as well as demos. I've talked to folks that use these on airstreams and they swear by them.
Dan, the Airstreams are a completely different animal, longer, wider and much heavier. Provided your 19 has adequate tongue weight when underway (the 19 is naturally a bit tongue heavy) I doubt you'll have any sway issues even with no WDH at all. Before buying a pricey and very heavy hitch system, I'd encourage you to try towing without any special hitch and just use a ball. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
No sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't recall anybody on this forum, since 2008, complaining about sway on any of the Escape trailers. I have a $350 Pro Series on a RAV4 and have several times had to make abrupt lane changes and never experience sway.
I had the same experience as Glenn with our 19 and the pro series hitch towed by our Highlander. I never knock another man's equipment or decisions. I will say I wouldn't personally spend the money if I didn't think I needed to. It is fair to point out that at times many of us buy something better than what we really need just because, so no criticism from this corner. Just make sure it will fit, research like you are doing is important.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-18-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

OK, so I probably won't go with the Hensley at this point in time. That said, if you're pulling a19, if you don't mind, sound off on your hitch and tow vehicle.

I'm interested to see how this breaks out.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 10-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
OK, so I probably won't go with the Hensley at this point in time. That said, if you're pulling a19, if you don't mind, sound off on your hitch and tow vehicle.

I'm interested to see how this breaks out.

Thanks,

Dan

2013 Tacoma DBL Cab 4.0 V6 supercharged E2 hitch,
Old 10-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #11

On the E2, you have to pull the torsion bars up/down when hitch out unhitching, correct?

I've had a couple of people say that the Hensley is too complicated to hookup or unhook. I've watched the videos, it looks pretty much the same as the other load balancing hitches. Where it differs is in the way it handles the anti sway. I'm so confused!!!! LOL
Old 10-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #12

Tow rig

Have towed our previous trailer, a 2010 Escape weighing 3680 and 420 tongue weight, towing dead level behind a 2012 Toyota Highlander with a standard ETI pro tow hitch. Hanging 4 chain links. Towed 25,000 miles Tucson to Hinton Alberta, Myrtle beach South Carolina to Seattle. No problems ever.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #13

Quote:
On the E2, you have to pull the torsion bars up/down when hitch out unhitching, correct?

I've had a couple of people say that the Hensley is too complicated to hookup or unhook. I've watched the videos, it looks pretty much the same as the other load balancing hitches. Where it differs is in the way it handles the anti sway. I'm so confused!!!! LOL

Actually the EW2 is easy, you hook up and then crank the jack to raise the back of the truck a bit and they slip right on. Removal is the same, crank up on the jack a bit , remove the sway bars, lower. Release the latch, crank up enough to clear the ball and your off. Or you can use the provided bar but I do not like forcing things that are under tension.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Have towed our previous trailer, a 2010 Escape weighing 3680 and 420 tongue weight, towing dead level behind a 2012 Toyota Highlander with a standard ETI pro tow hitch. Hanging 4 chain links. Towed 25,000 miles Tucson to Hinton Alberta, Myrtle beach South Carolina to Seattle. No problems ever.
Iowa Dave
Dave, Is this the hitch you're talking about on the option sheet? "Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control Bar $495"
Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Actually the EW2 is easy, you hook up and then crank the jack to raise the back of the truck a bit and they slip right on. Removal is the same, crank up on the jack a bit , remove the sway bars, lower. Release the latch, crank up enough to clear the ball and your off. Or you can use the provided bar but I do not like forcing things that are under tension.
That's what I saw on the E2 video. As I said, the Hensley vedeo shows pretty much the same thing.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Dave, Is this the hitch you're talking about on the option sheet? "Equalizer Hitch with Sway Control Bar $495"
The one Dave is talking about is now just listed as "Equalizer Hitch" $350 Its what we had on our 17 and it worked great.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #17

Hi Eric
Yes it was the standard Pro Tow. Worked great.
Dave
Old 10-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dodge Ram 1500, quad cab, 5.7 Hemi with 8 sp/3:21 rear. Current avg 15 towing my 19. Remember a truck set up for towing will have the integrated brake controller built in which coordinates transmission shift and braking. I have a set of air bags on rear as the bed is full of camping gear, folding bike, grill. I do not use a w/d set up. With tandem axles the Escape tows straight and if properly loaded no sway. My tongue weight is 450#.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
...if you're pulling a19, if you don't mind, sound off on your hitch and tow vehicle...
IMHO, if you are towing a 19', there is really only one correct choice for best tow vehicle, and that is (of course) the FJ Cruiser. Unfortunately the FJ is no longer sold new in North America, so if you want one you will have to shop the used market for one.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #20

We already have the tow vehicle, 2017 Nissan NV 3500 passenger van. V8 with 7 speed Transmission and tow package. It doesn't have an integrated brake controller but has the plug for it. I'll be installing the controller soon.

The van as configured as it is has a towing capacity of 9,400 lbs and a payload of 3,700 lbs. Should be good to go. I'm mostly concerned about issues with sway/fishtailing. As I said earlier, perhaps I'm worrying about nothing....age seems to cause that. LOL

I found this video on hooking up a Hensley Hitch. I've heard from several people that these hitches are a pain to hook/unhook. I've never owned a weight distribution hitch so I'm watching videos on the different brands. I just don't see where this is more complicated than other WD hitches. I like the idea of not having to remove the spring bars when you park.

https://youtu.be/g_Fz2sQ2UmI

I'm not trying to sell anyone on Hensley, I just want to learn and understand before I make a decision.