Hitching a 5.0TA alone - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I almost always hook up to my 5.0TA to our Anderson Ultimate by myself. Using the rear view mirror I line up the pin with the center of the truck and go straight back. I do jump out and close the tailgate when getting close, see how much distance I need, then reverse that much. The odd time I have to go forward or back another inch or so but that is all. Sometimes I too will have my wife tell me when I am close if she is hanging around. Easy peasy, takes less than a minute.

I much prefer doing it alone actually. My wife does help well with everything required to get ready to drive off though. For starters she packs up and puts away everything needed inside.I could do that too, but would probably put things in the wrong place.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I also nearly always do the hitching alone. I have the Andersen hitch and I usually apply the magnetic telescoping ball to the Andersen to help with the line up. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007772HG4/

I will back with the tailgate down until the pin is in the bed enough to close the tailgate and hop out and close it, then check the alignment and get back in and make any adjustments while backing up the rest of the way. There really is nothing to it.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2021
I will also be solo and retiring next Spring, looking to order a 5.0TA. I am researching tow vehicles now. The new half-tons seem so large and so high that I wonder about hitching it up by myself. And Thanks to Donna for all the great tips on this forum and on Facebook! You are my inspiration!
elizabetsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:29 AM   #24

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Yes just rewriting it to make it flow a little better. I also get it laminated. Will send it to you by weeks end.
Hi...just saw this post while searching around. If you still have your 5.0 checklist, I'd love a copy. Thanks!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:49 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
A little off the mark!!!

Hi: All... I prefer to get hitched on my own, but usually my wife directs me. I can never seem to get it right according to the director. I've never had the hitch uncouple but I have seen a few bent tailgates in campgrounds. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0ta, hitch