Is the V6 tacoma enough truck for the 21 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #101

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Blake View Post
We have a 2017 17B on order. We drive a 2015 Tacoma 6 cylinder with the tow pkg. from factory. We are thinking the WDH from Escape would be wise but are wondering if we also need the sway bar option on the other WDH or will the WDH alone be sufficient? Do most folks have sway bars in addition to weight distribution hitch?
Escape offers the E2 hitch that has sway control integrated into it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #102

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm towing a 17B with a 2016 Tacoma Off Road without a WDH or sway bar, and have not had any problems over 5000 miles. When I towed the trailer with a RAV4 (75,000 miles) I used a WDH, but no sway bar & no problems.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #103

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Blake View Post
We have a 2017 17B on order. We drive a 2015 Tacoma 6 cylinder with the tow pkg. from factory. We are thinking the WDH from Escape would be wise but are wondering if we also need the sway bar option on the other WDH or will the WDH alone be sufficient? Do most folks have sway bars in addition to weight distribution hitch?
I pull a 17B with a 2016 GMC Canyon and I use a WDH but no sway bar. I don't need the WDH but prefer the ride with one.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #104

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I tow my 21 with a 2017 tacoma 6 cyl with no problems at all.
Before the 2017 I was towing with a 2010 tacoma 6cyl
never had an issue
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #105

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
Towing 21' Escape

Will a 2013 Toyota 4Runner tow a 21' Escape with no problem? Just wondering if anyone on the forum has this setup? I think the pull capacity is 5000 and tongue weight is 350 on this vehicle.

Was also wondering if might possibly need to add helper springs with load levelers? AC will be on this trailer.

Thanks!

Bobby & Tricia
vanwinkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #106

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Definitely need levelers or air bags, my FJ Cruiser did. The tongue weight on an Escape 21 runs around 450-500 lbs so a weight distribution set up would address both the rear sag as well as higher tongue weight. Check the manufacturer's specs.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #107

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Not enough truck for me . Maybe okay for a 13 ft trailer.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #108

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Not enough truck for me . Maybe okay for a 13 ft trailer.
Probably a Kenworth would be better, eh!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #109

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwinkp View Post
Will a 2013 Toyota 4Runner tow a 21' Escape with no problem? Just wondering if anyone on the forum has this setup? I think the pull capacity is 5000 and tongue weight is 350 on this vehicle.

Was also wondering if might possibly need to add helper springs with load levelers? AC will be on this trailer.

Thanks!

Bobby & Tricia
Bobby, your 2013 4Runner has very similar capacities to the Highlander that I will be towing our new 21' with. I have carefully run all the various capacity numbers of the combination and am very comfortable with this combination. I have a good friend, Leon, who has towed their 21 many thousands of miles comfortably and safely with his Highlander. IowaDave tows a well loaded 19 with his Highlander. I have talked several times with my local Toyota service manager and asked his opinion. He says he would haven't the slightest qualm about towing a 21 with a Highlander and that when Toyota lists towing and weight capacities, that it is safe to go right up to those limits.

All that is said, because there is a completely different school of thought with many here - that it is unsafe to go past x% (make up your choice for x) of rated capacities. I've long since given up participating in the arguments that ensure when discussing tow vehicles. I have done my math, am comfortable with my tow, and believe my friends descriptions of their experiences. As the remarkable Donna says YMMV. Good luck!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #110

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Probably a Kenworth would be better, eh!
The 2017 Ford F 150 / 250 would be my first choice but a Kenworth would also suffice.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #111
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Our 2013 V6 4dr 4WD long bed Tacoma tows our 21 just fine. It is rated for 6400 lbs towing, and we use an Andersen WDH. Trailer weighs around 4200 on the road.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #112

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I have the same setup and specifications in my 2014 Tacoma, with the exception of a manual tranny, and use it to tow a 2015 Escape 21'. The only time I wish for a bigger tow is going up the passes to the west of Denver - usually 10,000' to 11,000'. I'm not driving in the left lane for sure!

I do wonder why your Tacoma is rated for 5000/350 however. No tow package perhaps? In that case be sure to check the hitch for a class IV rating.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #113

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
If your tongue weight limit is 350 pounds, then no, you will be way over that. Figure tongue weight at about 12% of trailer weight loaded. The same brand, year, and model truck can have different specs depending on options like towing package, and more. So one person's Tacoma may be OK, while yours isn't.

+10 I am in the F150 or Chevy/Dodge equivalent club. I would prefer to tow with a little extra to spare, than marginal or perhaps slightly too little. Years ago I towed with a marginal situation, won't do it again.

You also need to be careful of your truck's payload rating. Lots of variance there too, it should be on a sticker somewhere on your truck ( on my Ford, its on the driver's door jam). There is a good chance you will run out of payload capacity before towing capacity.

On Ford trucks, payload includes weight of driver, all passengers, truck cap (if you have one), bed liner (if you have one), any gear in your truck, receiver hitch drawbar, and tongue weight. Its pretty easy to use up payload.

Ultimately, it is up to you.

Just checked Toyota ratings, 350 tongue weight means you don't have the factory tow package. In addition, standard tow rating is 3500 pounds. With the tow package, Toyota rates the truck at 640 pound tongue weight, 6400 towing capacity. Payload is rated at 1175 pounds, with no options. Add options to the truck, and it goes down from there.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #114

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Although the 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, and Tacoma share some components, they are different vehicles, on different platforms, with different capacity ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwinkp View Post
Will a 2013 Toyota 4Runner tow a 21' Escape with no problem?
I think the pull capacity is 5000 and tongue weight is 350 on this vehicle.
I suggest reading your owner's manual. It provides towing capacity and hitch (tongue) weight limit, plus lots of other information.

A combination of 5000 pound trailer weight rating and 350 pound hitch weight rating would not be normal, especially from Toyota. The 2010 and 2016 manuals both specify a 5000 pound trailer weight rating and 10% hitch weight (which would be 500 pounds for that maximum trailer), with no need for an add-on towing package; it would be strange if the 2013 were different... but read the manual.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #115

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Jim may be right, I am not sure what frame the 4 runner is on. I know with my 2010 (and now 2017) Tacoma TRD Sport I have no trouble nor have I had to add anything. I think the FJ JIm has is on a lighter frame than the 4 runners and Tacoma. Easiest way to find out is hook it up, see what it looks like and take a ride. It will either be fine or you might have to make a few small adjustments.
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #116

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp447 View Post
... I am not sure what frame the 4 runner is on.
I think the FJ JIm has is on a lighter frame than the 4 runners and Tacoma.
The FJ Cruiser and previous 4Runner (2003-2009) were on the Prado 120 chassis (sold here as the Lexus GX 470, although the FJ Cruiser has a shorter wheelbase than the 4Runner or GX.
The current 4Runner has been reported to be on either the Prado 120 or the Prado 150 chassis, depending on the source; the Prado 150 is sold here as the Lexus GX 460.
The Prado is the smaller Land Cruiser, which is not sold here under that name, and the numbers indicate the generation, not the size or capacity. There was apparently very little difference between the 120 and 150 Prados, so it probably doesn't matter.

Despite sharing a platform, there are significant differences in frame construction between models, depending on expected use. The FJ Cruiser has a very stiff fully-boxed frame; the Tacoma has more open C-channel. This might not affect towing behaviour or capacity at all - the rear suspension is probably more significant. Based on everything I've seen in and read about these vehicles, I would not be at all concerned about the FJ Cruiser frame strength (assuming it hasn't rusted).

Although the SUVs (any Prado variant) share front suspension parts with the Tacoma, they use an entirely different rear suspension from the Tacoma so capacity and ride are not related.

For towing, long wheelbase is good, and short rear overhang is good. The FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, and Tacoma all have different wheelbases and overhangs, and you can't get the longest wheelbase with the shortest overhang, so they're all compromises and all behave a little differently... and they can all work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #117
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
For what it's worth, I did some measurements with my 2016 Tacoma Odd Road (was told the suspension is longer throw than the standard Tacoma).

Loading the truck to 5180 lbs, ball drop is 1 1/8"
Adding the trailer at 360 lbs tongue weight drop is 2 1/8"

I added a set of Sumo Springs ():

Loading the truck to 5180 lbs, ball drop is 3/4"
Adding the trailer at 360 lbs tongue weight drop is 1 3/4"

I prefer the Sumo Springs over air bags because I have always had leakage with air bags & the Sumo Springs have no effect on the empty truck unless you are really beaten on the suspension. They don't touch the springs for the first 3/4" of travel, and then only gradually add their effect.
These look really good. Which of the 3 types of SumoSprings did you install?
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #118

Trailer: None now
We just brought a new 19 back from Sumas to Florida. A bit over 4000 miles as we played tourist while we were at it. We went over a few passes and the 2013 Tacoma truck and trailer did fine. We have the E2 hitch and Air ride airbags and a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. Mileage went from 10.4 per tank to several over 16 plus with an average of 14.2 mpg. We stay between 60 to 65 mph usually which helps. One item we did have to watch was the transmission temperature. We had a few instances where it climbed over 229 degrees at the torque converter. Dropping to third gear helped lower it to a safer 215 or so.The pan stayed under that. I'm going to change out the factory tiny transmission cooler for one that will work better. While its true we were no speed demon on severe grades we were able to stay over 45 mph so we were passing the big trucks. And several class A's who had giant tow behind trailers. We did keep the grey and black empty with the fresh water holding maybe 5 gallons just in case and the water heater full.
I weighed what we brought up at 347 Pounds and had some food in the fridge.
The fridge also did well. We left it on auto so it would switch from electric to gas and it stayed cool. Even coming through Alabama and Florida which was in the low 90s earlier this week. I had my insulin in the fridge so I was paying very close attention to the temperature and never saw over 40 degrees. In Washington state and Utah we saw closer to 33 degrees so I had to lower to 2 to make sure we did not freeze stuff.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #119

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps synthetic oil plus transmission fluid may help with the heat build up vs an other cooler.
My temperatures were always "normal" except I can not believe hot my oil gets vs the other liquids, It seems to be the hottest of all the fluids in my truck.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #120

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps synthetic oil plus transmission fluid may help with the heat build up vs an other cooler.
My temperatures were always "normal" except I can not believe hot my oil gets vs the other liquids, It seems to be the hottest of all the fluids in my truck.
The Tacoma already has synthetic transmission fluid from the factory. Which is why they charge a small fortune to replace it !!!!!
It also has a transmission cooler the size of a mans open wallet.
We have been pricing various coolers and one that Etrailer sells seems to be the best option its a plate and fin type measuring 11W x 8-3/4T x 7/8D Inch.

The Tacomas warning light is designed to go off at 300 degrees, which will cook the fluid. Lots of Tacoma users tow and have no clue how hot it might be getting. We can monitor both the pan and torque converter and torque converter locking so we get a early warning.
We also have a oil/water heat exchanger which seems to do a decent job, the oil stayed near the radiators temperature which never went over 199 degrees.
When we were hitting the high temperature we were in stop and go slow traffic going up a steep hill. Pretty much the worse condition you can experience. I ended up dropping to second and third while moving along at 15 to 20 mph. We did climb to 215 on other climbs where I could maintain speed so we figure a larger cooler is needed.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote