It's official - Tow is On The Way - Page 25 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #241

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
What's your path for traversing the Seattle traffic? Inquiring minds want to know; I have to do it in Sept.
Nothing special other than the time of day. I-90 to the 405 then I-5. We're going to try to hit it at midday and avoid both the morning and afternoon rush hours.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 PM   #242
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Going through Seattle pay attention to the express lanes. You want to use them. Most generally they're the far left lanes (or will get you onto them using that lane)

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #243

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Nothing special other than the time of day. I-90 to the 405 then I-5. We're going to try to hit it at midday and avoid both the morning and afternoon rush hours.
OK, Thanks.
Last time we came south (from Chilliwack) we hit it right after 3 pm, and that was too late. It was a day after a holiday, so maybe that had an effect.

We were unsuccessful in getting to the mouth of the express lane; it was a race track of lane-changers around us. (And I'm used to LA traffic.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #244

Trailer: not yet
Can you use "express lanes" while towing? In California, nope! What about Washington?
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:58 PM   #245

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
We did the 90 to 405 to 5 last September as it is about the only way to go coming in from the east. The problem was we got there around 4 in the afternoon. The express lane did move pretty good but then had to move clear over for an exit to 5. We went back on # 3 to Osoyoos and saw some very nice campgrounds along the way. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 AM   #246

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
Can you use "express lanes" while towing? In California, nope! What about Washington?
The answer at this link seems confusing. The WSDOT website apparently says yes, but the WSP says no?

Trailers and motor homes in the carpool lane? | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News | Jam Session

I don't plan to try it anyway while I'm towing. I won't be going fast enough to keep up.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 AM   #247

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Is "express lane" getting mixed up with HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane? In most places, the HOV lane is reserved for vehicles with more than a certain number of occupants, and should flow faster because most vehicles are not allowed in it; in contrast, express lanes allow all vehicles, and move faster because they have few interchanges - traffic isn't coming in and out of them. I'm most accustomed to HOV lanes in the Vancouver area (where there are no express lanes) and express lanes in Ontario (which had express - but not HOV - lanes on Highway 401 before I got my driver's license).

Washington State's I-5 and I-90 Express Lanes do not appear to be HOV lanes - they are reversible express lanes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:51 AM   #248

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
You're right Brian... Then again, there is an HOV lane in the reversible Express Lanes.
I stay out of the far left and far right lanes when traveling the freeways.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #249
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When I mentioned to Robert the express lanes through Seattle, I meant for when he's trying to get to Chilliwack, not for coming back through with the trailer.

If he's in Pendleton right now, by time he gets there... traffic is going to be a bear starting just north of Olympia right through the northend of Seattle. The express lanes will help.

Be patient Robert!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #250

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for 4th Maiden Voyage
I'm not used to heavy traffic being from Alaska where 'rush hours' last about 10 minutes. There is something special about the traffic from, Centralia (30 miles south of Olympia) all the way through Seattle and north through Everett. Most times in daylight its bumper to bumper in this 100 mile stretch .... if you are lucky traffic keeps moving although way too tight together. Then it really wraps up when someone does something stupid.

Here is how I get through this area and frequently I'll be almost the only car on the freeway. I travel between 11:00 pm and 1:00 am. Seems rather extreme, yes, except I tend to be a night owl and I keep reminding myself that I wouldn't drive through "Death Valley" at noon on a summer's day either.

My plan while towing will be to travel through congested areas very late at night and when through them grab a free parking spot at a Rest Area until the following morning / afternoon after a good rest.