Lesson learned regarding hitching up - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Checklist

We have the official but un copyrighted AZJack, label maker produced indoor and outdoor checklist on the door frame for reference when we are packing up to move. Only thing I changed was peeling off the wind chimes sticker and need to add is dog tie out cable. Works for us. I'll post a picture in a few minutes.
Dave

Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #32

Hitching up checklist

Here you go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (217.8 KB, 59 views)

Old 10-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #33

Second pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (232.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #34

And finally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (209.6 KB, 35 views)
Old 10-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #35

Sorry about the sideways, was fishing the day they showed how to do that in school in 1966.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen & Angie View Post
Going this route, do I just replace the foot plate with the wheel? Excuse my ignorance, I'm new to trailering.
This photo should clarify things (It's our 2014 17B with front storage box, double propane and Andersen WDH). Currently the optional hitch wheel is attached to the jack. The wheel adds 7 or 8 inches to bottom of the jack, so be sure to remove it before towing (simply pull the pin to release it). Use the flat footplate (next to the wheel) if you need to get the hitch lower to the ground.

I use the wheel for minor position adjustments when hitching up and and when moving the trailer around our driveway.

-Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HitchWheel.jpg (187.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
The Lesson(s) we've learned about hitching up is that the thing you've forgotten or didn't know about hitching can become VERY important if disaster strikes.

Two lessons. #1. I assumed Liz had put the hitch pin on (if that is what it is called) because she had locked the hitch down onto the ball. I asked her about the pin about 1/2 an hour into the drive. We stopped and put the pin on. Lesson: The driver should check everything about hitching up him or herself. I forgot to check the hitch up.

#2. Something we didn't "know" although we had read the ETI manual which covers this detail. We didn't know that the battery switch (the inside switch which turns off all battery power to the trailer) MUST be up (power available within the trailer) in order for the breakaway cord to trigger the trailer brakes should THE TRAILER BECOME DISCONNECTED WHILE UNDERWAY.

As reasonably intelligent people but new to all things towing we learned that there are many details and lots of material to cover. Make a list and check it two (or three) times before heading out. A tip I read on our Forum is that you should do everything in the same order every time.

Larry
Don't know if we ever knew about #2. We always have the switch on to charge batteries while underway, however, believe we were told at ETI that they would charge whether switch was up or down. Basically we leave the switch on at all times unless in storage. So now we know it has to be on while traveling.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I carry about eight 8"x 8" blocks in the storage box at all times. In setting up, I always have each pad on a block. Sometimes in a low spot, 2 or three of them come in handy.

The front end of the truck being up or down also also makes a big difference in hitching up or unhitching. Also with the front end up, the tailgate does not clear the jack. A person really has to be on the ball or something can get dinged up with no trouble at all.

I also bought the hitch wheel thinking how easy it would be to swing the trailer around but wasn't thinking. With a dual axel, it won't accomplish much. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Don't know if we ever knew about #2. We always have the switch on to charge batteries while underway, however, believe we were told at ETI that they would charge whether switch was up or down. Basically we leave the switch on at all times unless in storage. So now we know it has to be on while traveling.
I have never turned my switch off, but if you do, the solar will continue charging if you have that option.The switch is mainly for storage to prevent parasitic discharge.