LT tires on TT - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Piedmont region, North Carolina
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' on order
Posts: 20
LT tires on TT

I have read through the thread on speed ratings and load range ratings and see that ETI has changed brands of tires that they install. I have always been partial to Michelin (first choice) or Bridgestone tires on the many trucks and suvs that I have owned. Even though many trucks have been work trucks I never had a tire failure or flat. When traveling the highways it is not unusual to see tt, enclosed, and utility trailers with flats and blowouts (more than other vehicles). I realize some are more than likely due to improper maintenance and inflation.

1 Is anyone running LT tires on their tt? ( I don't find 205/75/r15 on Michelins or Bridgestones website but they do have 205/70/r15)
2 If an LT tire is not an option for some reason what is deemed the best trailer tire on the market currently?
__________________

oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Signal Mountain (Chattanooga), Tennessee
Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Posts: 313
LT v. ST

There is always a lively discussion on this topic.
Back a few years ago when the Cash for Clunkers took place I kept a nearly new set of Michelin LTX tires off our doomed Grand Cherokee, and my son has used them on his dual axle trailer to pull his rock crawler made from a Ford Bronco. Proable weight around 6,000 lbs. It has seemed to work fine, but how would you know, since he pulls with an F-250 diesel.

The discussion is that ST tires are designed to track straight with stiffer side walls and other design factors that I have forgotten and usually are inflated to the highest number on the side wall, unlike car/truck tires that are inflated less for handling and traction reasons.

Following the advice of several of our most knowledgeable members (Dave) I just bought yesterday a set of four Goodyear Endurance ST205/75/15. This was after about 42,000 miles on the trailer and never having had an issue with the lesser rated Carlisle original tires. I used a five tire rotation, so each had fewer actual miles of use, and the two best of the five I kept--the spare and an extra unmounted "spare" and those have 7/32s of tread left, though the others did not.

The Endurance tires are an American made replacement for the Goodyear Marathons, which were reportedly only pretty good. These are supposed to be very good with a higher speed rating (81?) and a higher load rating and higher inflation option--up to 65psi. I had earlier this year recommended that my other son try a set of four on his 7,000 boat, and they have done fine.
Bill
__________________

Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,818
I've heard ST's have a stiffer sidewall. Some folks with the big trailers use LT's, but it's not common. Oliver runs Michelin LT's, they also have a writeup on what to do about flat spots!

A best probably doesn't exist, don't think anyone has done any sort of testing on them. Your sure to get the whole gamut of answers.

Not long ago the Maxxis M8008's were favored by many if not the majority on the larger RV forum I read. Lately Goodyear came out with the Endurance, it's too new to have any long term reviews but folks like it, so far.

I have had 2 sets of Power King Towmax's, they were flat out terrible.
Had M8008's, I liked them, sold the trailer when they had around 10k on them.
The Escape came with Carlisle Radial Trails, I liked those too, looked like the Maxxis. Had 1 blow out at around 25k. Changed out to the Endurance's at about 35k. The Endurance's seem fine so far but I only have a few k on them.

Like most things on the internet, if you look at reviews for any of the trailer tires they vary enough where where you walk away totally confused. At this point I'd have no qualms buying any of the above other then the Power King's.

Edit: Bill beat me to most of this.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,570
Good basic info. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=219
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Piedmont region, North Carolina
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21' on order
Posts: 20
Thanks for the early replies. I realize that trailer tires are subjected to a lot of pressure and flexing on the sidewalls when jacking a trailer into a tight spot (especially on asphalt) therefore the heavier sidewalls. Just thinking about getting an upgrade on our 21' on order. The side of the interstate is not where I want to be changing a blown or flat tire. Just trying to be somewhat proactive.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,655
I have always had good luck with replacing tires at 50% of their life, have not had a flat in over 30 years operating 2 vehicles. I had one on one of my Escapes, but again the tires were getting close to the 50% tread life.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 685
We got new Endurance tires in the spring and are happy with them. Since putting them on have been all the way to the west coast and to GA even got close to you stopping in Asheville on the way home. They have always been right at 62 lb pressure every time I check them (every day traveling). With the old Marathons I always worried about going over 65 on the Interstates but on the recent trip south usually did a constant 70.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
( I don't find 205/75/r15 on Michelins or Bridgestones website but they do have 205/70/r15)
Since there have probably not been any motor vehicles sold in North America with a 205/75R15 tire for years, that size won't likely be available in LT from any manufacturer. Light trucks today typically use 16" and larger wheels, and people still running 15" usually want wider tires than 205 mm. An LT205/70R15 is probably an upgrade of old mini-pickups that had 14" wheels; in other than LT, it would found on a passenger car or SUV and would be hard to find with sufficient load capacity (so which Michelin or Bridgestone model did you find?). That's okay - there's nothing magic about the original size. ST tires come almost exclusively in 75 and 80 aspect ratio, so that's what is put on trailers.

Any size will work which is of the same overall diameter as the stock tires or moderately taller, of the same section width or moderately wider, on a 15" or 16" rim diameter (so that wheels are available), and with a suitable load capacity in trailer service. A 205/70R15 will be about an inch shorter in overall diameter than the stock tire, which is not likely a problem.

There are some "P" tires which will have suitable capacity, in the Extra Load range, and there might be a few sizes of "LT" tires, but the other type is commercial tires.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've heard ST's have a stiffer sidewall. Some folks with the big trailers use LT's, but it's not common. Oliver runs Michelin LT's, they also have a writeup on what to do about flat spots!

A best probably doesn't exist, don't think anyone has done any sort of testing on them. Your sure to get the whole gamut of answers.

Not long ago the Maxxis M8008's were favored by many if not the majority on the larger RV forum I read. Lately Goodyear came out with the Endurance, it's too new to have any long term reviews but folks like it, so far.

I have had 2 sets of Power King Towmax's, they were flat out terrible.
Had M8008's, I liked them, sold the trailer when they had around 10k on them.
The Escape came with Carlisle Radial Trails, I liked those too, looked like the Maxxis. Had 1 blow out at around 25k. Changed out to the Endurance's at about 35k. The Endurance's seem fine so far but I only have a few k on them.

Like most things on the internet, if you look at reviews for any of the trailer tires they vary enough where where you walk away totally confused. At this point I'd have no qualms buying any of the above other then the Power King's.

Edit: Bill beat me to most of this.
We went and forth about the tires . In the end went with Maxxis D . Wanted to watch the Endurance first. Had flats with the Carlisle and didn't trust them . Our spare is still the Carlisle . The information is so confusing . Only buy Michelin's for the truck and Subaru . But to get the truck tire needed size 16 . So gave up and went with Maxxis .So far pretty happy . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
richardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Following the advice of several of our most knowledgeable members (Dave) I just bought yesterday a set of four Goodyear Endurance ST205/75/15. This was after about 42,000 miles on the trailer and never having had an issue with the lesser rated Carlisle original tires. I used a five tire rotation, so each had fewer actual miles of use, and the two best of the five I kept--the spare and an extra unmounted "spare" and those have 7/32s of tread left, though the others did not.
Bill
A little off topic: How often do you rotate your tires and what sequence do you use?
__________________

__________________
Rick and Vicky Reed
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.