Owners of F150 with the 6 1/2’ box - what 5th wheel hitch? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2024, 08:27 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
In 2015 I installed a Turn-Over gooseneck hitch to mount the Anderson to. If I was doing it again I would do the rail mount. I was still working as a home renovation and building contractor at the time and thought the smooth bed would be a great thing. I used it to an advantage a few times, but not much and could have easily made do with the rails. A fellow I know just used 3 or 4 2x4's across the bed when picking up materials like plywood that he didn't what maker up. I still do this too as I don't want anything possibly messing up a $150 piece of plywood.

Though I don't mind the size of my hitch, the smaller one would be nice.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:46 AM   #62

Trailer: 2024 5.0 TA on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
In 2015 I installed a Turn-Over gooseneck hitch to mount the Anderson to. If I was doing it again I would do the rail mount. I was still working as a home renovation and building contractor at the time and thought the smooth bed would be a great thing. I used it to an advantage a few times, but not much and could have easily made do with the rails. A fellow I know just used 3 or 4 2x4's across the bed when picking up materials like plywood that he didn't what maker up. I stull do this too as I don't want anything possibly messing up a $150 piece of plywood.

Though I don't mind the size of my hitch, the smaller one would be nice.
Good to know. I have to cut out where the rails will go in my bed insert, so by the time the rails sit down against the metal truck bed I don’t think much of the rail will extend over the liner ridges. Good idea about laying wood cross ways when picking plywood up.
Al Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:30 AM   #63

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Y View Post
I have to cut out where the rails will go in my bed insert, so by the time the rails sit down against the metal truck bed I don’t think much of the rail will extend over the liner ridges.
This is what I did on my rail install. The rails do extend beyond the liner but not by much.
I use the truck bed a fair amount for hauling when not towing and for me the inconvenience of having the rails is minimal.
I will admit that pinning the hitch to the rails is a little more difficult but still doable with the bed liner in place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0308.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:32 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
This is what I did on my rail install. The rails do extend beyond the liner but not by much.
I use the truck bed for hauling a fair amount when not towing and for me the inconvenience of having the rails is minimal.
I will admit that pinning the hitch to the rails is a little more difficult but still doable with the bed liner in place.

Looks good
Old 03-04-2024, 10:24 AM   #65

Got all my parts here but still awaiting arrival of the offset torque adapter. It shipped from the USA and looks like it is still about a week away. On this generation of F150’s the specific fit frame mounts are bent so the holes that attach to the rails are over the F150 frame. So there’s definitely no way to get a torque wrench in there without an offset adapter
Old 03-05-2024, 07:48 AM   #66

Got the brackets and rails installed. Took me about 4 hours but I’ll have to go back and torque a few of the nuts I couldn’t torque without the offset attachment (that is on the way). While I was under there I coated the frame first with Fluid Film. The project was definitely worth saving the $1000 versus having a shop do it. Appreciate all the suggestions / help provided
Old 04-04-2024, 12:52 PM   #67

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Actual Andersen Ultimate Setup Questions

Lots of information on the forum about the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. However I have been unable to find the answers to three questions I have. I would like to ascertain what is the best setup for the hitch so that I have less experimenting as I am installing the components. Firstly, I have a 2016 5.0 TA, lift kit installed. I recently purchased a 2023 F150, 6' 5" bed. I am switching to the Andersen hitch from the conventional hitch that was in in my previous truck. I have the B&W turnover ball already installed in my new truck. So, the three questions I have are: Is it better to install the pin box in the "retracted" (higher) position or in the standard (lower) position in the pin box bracket on the trailer. Is it better to install the Andersen "cone" in the standard (forward facing) position or the rear facing position? The ball that sits atop the hitch itself has two holes in it. Is it better to use the higher or lower position. Thank you for your help.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:21 PM   #68

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF18 View Post
Actual Andersen Ultimate Setup Questions ... 2023 F150, 6' 5" bed
I have the B&W Turnoverball and Andersen 3220 hitch in my 2022 F150 w/6.5ft box; the tailgate is ~34" above ground when open with the truck unloaded; your unloaded tailgate / bed height and loaded 'sag' may vary depending on your truck's specific options. With that in mind
  • My pinbox is in the standard (middle & lower holes) position
  • My coupler block is oriented with the ball to the rear of the kingpin
  • My Andersen 3220 with the older 3-hole ball is in the lowest (top hole) position
In that configuration
  • My trailer tows level
  • I can back into a full 90° jackknife without cab conflict (only done that once for a clearance test)
  • The back of the pinbox is never close to conflict with bed rails or the tailgate
  • My lowered tailgate just barely clears the front of the trailer when the rig is aligned perfectly straight (as a matter of habit I raise my power up/down tailgate when partly under the trailer when hitching)
All tows like a dream. YMMV

PS: If your new F150 supports the Ford Accessory trailer TPMS with pressure, temperature, and low-tire warnings integrated in your truck's instrument panel display - that's a very worthwhile kit, IMO. The also available trailer rear-cam that displays on the truck's big infotainment screen is icing on the cake.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:25 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I have the B&W Turnoverball and Andersen 3220 hitch in my 2022 F150 w/6.5ft box; the tailgate is ~34" above ground when open with the truck unloaded; your unloaded tailgate / bed height and loaded 'sag' may vary depending on your truck's specific options. With that in mind
  • My pinbox is in the standard (middle & lower holes) position
  • My coupler block is oriented with the ball to the rear of the kingpin
  • My Andersen 3220 with the older 3-hole ball is in the lowest (top hole) position
In that configuration
  • My trailer tows level
  • I can back into a full 90° jackknife without cab conflict (only done that once for a clearance test)
  • The back of the pinbox is never close to conflict with bed rails or the tailgate
  • My lowered tailgate just barely clears the front of the trailer when the rig is aligned perfectly straight (as a matter of habit I raise my power up/down tailgate when partly under the trailer when hitching)
All tows like a dream. YMMV

PS: If your new F150 supports the Ford Accessory trailer TPMS with pressure, temperature, and low-tire warnings integrated in your truck's instrument panel display - that's a very worthwhile kit, IMO. The also available trailer rear-cam that displays on the truck's big infotainment screen is icing on the cake.
Thank you for the info. I do appreciate it. Wondering if you have a lift kit installed on your trailer?
Old 04-04-2024, 05:27 PM   #70

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF18 View Post
Thank you for the info. I do appreciate it. Wondering if you have a lift kit installed on your trailer?
Yes, trailer with ETI installed lift kit, my apology for omitting that important fact!
Old 04-04-2024, 09:23 PM   #71

No apology necessary! Thank you again.