Towing with large SUV- Sequoia or Suburban - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2024, 04:10 PM   #1
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Towing with large SUV- Sequoia or Suburban

Hi all, We are wondering if anyone is towing a 21C with a 2021 or newer Chevy Suburban (or Tahoe) 3.0L diesel or a 2023-24 Toyota Sequoia? We love the 2nd Gen. Sequoias but with a 1390lb payload, it’s just not quite enough. Our current tow vehicle is a 2015 Silverado Crew Cab and it’s been great for towing, Rockies are no problem, no concern over power, or worries about payload, but we need more passenger room. We’d prefer Toyota for reliability and resale value, but are a little hesitant with it being a recently redesigned model and the potential long wait to get one. Any real world towing experiences you’re able to share with these two TVs are appreciated!
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 12:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
Hi AnJ,

Agreeing with you on the value keeping and reliability of Toyota, I tow my Escape 2023 21NE with a Lexus GX470 which is a 2006 model but has great performance. GVWR 6500 so no problem there. I preferred the Lexus GX 470 over the Sequoias. The GX470 is 4 wheel drive, and there are lots of accessories out there for them. They are great for off road and out back country too. Lots of off road guys look for these.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you that there is another option in the Toyota line for you to look at and maybe consider as well. I know that you'd be looking for a newer model, just wanted to pass this your way. I do believe that the Lexus SUV's hold a better value then the Sequoia.

Cheers to ya...... and Happy Trails...... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:20 AM   #3
AnJ

Thanks, Jack. That’s an interesting point about Lexus vehicles holding their value better. I think the payload and passenger room is slightly less, but we’ll take a look at them again. Interesting to know you are towing your 21NE with one!
Old 03-14-2024, 12:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I'm a bit confused. It looks like the new Sequoia's tow capacity is 8000+ lbs. The payload is, if I understand it correctly, what you can put IN the vehicle itself, passengers+cargo.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation Don't forget, tongue weight counts as "payload"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I'm a bit confused. It looks like the new Sequoia's tow capacity is 8000+ lbs. The payload is, if I understand it correctly, what you can put IN the vehicle itself, passengers+cargo.
One must always remember that trailer tongue weight also counts as "payload".

If using a WDH, the tongue weight for payload purposes is the dead tongue weight (without the WDH 'engaged' to redistribute the weight).

It's not at all uncommon for trailers within a vehicle's advertised total trailer weight towing capacity to cause the vehicle's payload capacity to be exceeded, rendering the total trailer weight moot (in that case, payload is the limiting constraint).

Based on the original post methinks the OP understands all of this.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:11 PM   #6
AnJ

Yes, by the time we add ourselves, kids, car seats, stroller, dog and tongue weight, we’re a bit too close for comfort to the 1390lb payload of the 2nd Gen Sequoias and quite a few SUVs. It adds up fast! With the pickup, we’ve never had to worry about payload and travelling with little ones, there’s already enough logistics to get us happily on the road in the morning without having to add up the weight we’re adding to the vehicle to make sure we’re travelling safely. 😅
Old 03-14-2024, 10:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I'm towing my E21 classic all through Mexico right now with a new to me 2019 Ford Expedition Limited Stealth, and it's 3..5L Ecoboost mated to a 10 speed automatic. It's the non Max version, 4x4. The one thing I did immediately upon buying this SUV was dump the 22" wheels for 18", much better ride, much less likely to fail on potholes etc. very happy with it. Getting as much as 15 mpg but more typically 13-14 with a very loaded truck and trailer...it has the hd tow option for a max of 9300 lb tow, and a 1700 lb payload. The electronic CCDS shocks really smooth the ride out.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20240309_222814476.jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:54 PM   #8
AnJ

It’s interesting, I’ve heard that quite a few times about the bigger tire size on the top model SUVs making for a more ‘choppy’ ride. We liked a lot about the interior configuration options for the Expedition, but the resale and number of recalls from Ford caused us to pause. They do say it’s better to get a model that has not had a recent redesign as it has less to go wrong with it, and the Ecoboost is a good engine, in many of the popular F150s, in some ways the Expedition does have a lot going for it. You’ve got a nice looking one there and that’s pretty good gas mileage towing. Enjoy your time in Mexico!
Old 03-15-2024, 09:12 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
It’s interesting, I’ve heard that quite a few times about the bigger tire size on the top model SUVs making for a more ‘choppy’ ride. We liked a lot about the interior configuration options for the Expedition, but the resale and number of recalls from Ford caused us to pause. They do say it’s better to get a model that has not had a recent redesign as it has less to go wrong with it, and the Ecoboost is a good engine, in many of the popular F150s, in some ways the Expedition does have a lot going for it. You’ve got a nice looking one there and that’s pretty good gas mileage towing. Enjoy your time in Mexico!
We bought ours with a factory CPO 3 year warranty. 2019-2020 seem to be the best years. The HD tow option also includes a proper 4L and rear axle lock, the others just have "4A", which is more like AWD. We considered the Tahoe but liked the way the 4th gen Expedition drove and rode and really liked the seats. The Sequoia was just too dated, with a live axle rear end and dated V8 and transmission.

Btw, in Patzcuaro this week. Day 63 of a 108 day tour.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:04 AM   #10

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
You’ll love the torque and mileage you’ll get from the 3.0 diesel, it’s an unbeatable combination.

I have a 2.8 diesel, and get 18-20 mpg towing, and the 3.0 gets even better fuel economy.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 04:48 PM   #11
AnJ

Good to know about the AWD vs 4WD. The Expedition also has car seat tethers and headrests in all 2nd/3rd row passenger seats. Don’t know what GM/Chevy was thinking only putting headrests in the outboard seats…I think the new generation of Expeditions launched in 2015, so 2019-2020 would probably be some of the best years of that Gen. to get.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM   #12
AnJ

Yes, it doesn’t seem like the diesel engines can be matched! Glad they have started putting them in the half ton pickups/SUVs. We were watching TFL on YouTube and they have some very good video reviews of real world towing. I don’t think the Sequoia engine with the Hybrid really adds much to fuel mileage, just boosts power for towing. Hybrids are predicted to have better resale.
We didn’t have a great experience with our Silverado and service by GM. While the engine and power train have been great so far, the OnStar antenna port began leaking not long after we bought it new. They have recalled many Silverados and Sierras for this exact problem- but not our VIN number. We had to pay $800 out of pocket. We put a fair amount of effort into getting a fairer resolution from GM about this with no resolution. The Suburbans are rated well and JD Power has Chevy in the top 3 for their 3 year reliability study, but our experience with their service wasn’t great. They have had their Duramax engines around for a while.
Old 03-16-2024, 10:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Good to know about the AWD vs 4WD. The Expedition also has car seat tethers and headrests in all 2nd/3rd row passenger seats. Don’t know what GM/Chevy was thinking only putting headrests in the outboard seats…I think the new generation of Expeditions launched in 2015, so 2019-2020 would probably be some of the best years of that Gen. to get.
Current Gen4 Expeditions launched in 2018.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:02 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
FWIW, our 2013 Expedition EL does not have headrests on the 2nd and 3rd row middle seats—are you saying they improved this in 2015? But ours is still a versatile vehicle, with 4WD, almost as much room for lumber as a pickup (with the seats down), plenty of towing (c. 9,000 lbs), room for luggage even with the rear row up, etc.

Gas mileage on our 5.0 V8 is poor, but I would be leery of turbos: Saw a video once with a Ford mechanic who said they get gunked up and will get you in the shop quickly. Unfortunately, Ford isn't offering a V8 Expy any more. No diesel, either.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:42 PM   #15

Trailer: escape
Yes, we have a 2023 Suburban High Country with the Diesel. Outstanding combination.

Regular city driving gets 21 mpg
Highway driving gets 27 mpg

Towing in combination of flat and smoky mountains and Appalachian mountains is 17mpg

Lots of space in the Suburban with all rear seats can fold flat to carry many things. Easily tows our fully loaded Escape 21NE and 2 grandkids with extra camping supplies and their bicycles in the trailer.

I love the heads-up display and adaptive cruise as they make driving with the trailer virtually effortless.

Top notch combination for sure!
richling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:02 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21NE
AnJ,

We've pulled our 21NE for two years now, a total of 55,000 miles throughout the US with a 2018 Lexus GX460. Payload 1,470 lbs, tows great, similar to Sequoia but not as large.

Excellent off Road with tight turning radius, AWD, granny gear, locking center differential for real 4WD.

Scary new car prices, but low milage used are very reasonable. Reliability is first class.
BillMcgTenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
CAT Scale

Quote:
Yes, by the time we add ourselves, kids, car seats, stroller, dog and tongue weight, we’re a bit too close for comfort to the 1390lb payload of the 2nd Gen Sequoias and quite a few SUVs. It adds up fast! With the pickup, we’ve never had to worry about payload and travelling with little ones, there’s already enough logistics to get us happily on the road in the morning without having to add up the weight we’re adding to the vehicle to make sure we’re travelling safely. 😅
I'm glad you acknowledge the tongue weight adds to the GVWR of the tow vehicle. What I haven't seen discussed by anyone on this thread is taking your TV and trailer to a CAT Scale, fully loaded for a trip, and properly weighing the TV, the trailer, the trailer axles, and the combination of TV and trailer. I'm guessing that the people that are telling you how well their TV tows and the MPG, haven't actually weighed their TV and trailer. If your TV/trailer is overweight not only is that unsafe for you and your family, if you are in an accident your insurance company may deny a claim if they suspect your TV/trailer is overweight, and actually weigh them.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote