Purpose of 6ga hot wire from converter/charger to hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #1

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Purpose of 6ga hot wire from converter/charger to hitch

Hello, snooping around getting familiar with my Classic 21ft, I noticed a red 6ga from converted/charger leading to a junction box mounted outside and below trailer's front bed area up front. The box has a plastic loom leading to hitch's 7 pin connector.

I know there is a tow vehicle charging line from 7 pin connector to battery that charges battery while towing but a 6 ga for this

Could it be a supply tap for a future motorized jack? hitch area lights ? additional front mounted battery ?

Not complaining as I love it but was surprised to see a 6 ga line.

Anyone know why 6 ga.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #2

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Sent ETI email, will know soon. Nothing broken just want to know why such a high capacity charge line to the battery assuming that is what it is.

Will post answer. Thank you

Old 01-08-2017, 11:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I'm betting that it is the charging circuit line. Toyota used a 10 gauge for the power cable when wiring the Highlander and that is less distance that from the front of a 21 to the batteries. Lots of voltage drop on 12v lines if they are undersized.

Please do let us know what you hear.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I agree. The ability of my Tacoma to charge the batteries in my 2014 model Escape 21 is negligible. I bet Escape increased the size of the wire in more recent models. I haven't checked to see if I have this big wire, but I don't remember seeing one.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
It is a long ways from your tugs alternator to the batteries. Voltage preservation is a must for proper and speedy charging. Escape did it right, the tug is probably undersized.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Escape did it right, the tug is probably undersized.
Russ
Hi Russ, I agree ETI using 6 ga is good design, unfortunately they can not control the wire gauge the vehicle manufacturer installs and its usually inadequate. I will disconnect the Escape 12vdc 6ga charge line from the 7pin connector as it could create a loop when the truck sends 120vac to the trailer's 3 stage battery charger as we drive.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
I will disconnect the Escape 12vdc 6ga charge line from the 7pin connector as it could create a loop when the truck sends 120vac to the trailer's 3 stage battery charger as we drive.
I'm not sure I understand this at all. There is no 120V power or charger/converter involved when connected only to a tow vehicle and it shouldn't require disconnection of any wires if you are setup properly.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #8

Correct. I am abandoning tow vehicle 12vdc charging. Will have pure sine inverter duplicate a genset while towing allowing all the benefits of 3 stage charging.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #9

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
... I will disconnect the Escape 12vdc 6ga charge line from the 7pin connector as it could create a loop when the truck sends 120vac to the trailer's 3 stage battery charger as we drive.
Not a bad idea. I found out the hard way that a loop can be created when using an inverter to power some ham equipment that was connected to some 12v battery powered equipment. A very expensive lesson in ground loops.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #10

Well ... after more research and detailed calcs I have reversed my plan to use an inverter to power the trailer's 120vac charging system while towing only. The allure of easy 14 ga 120v 6amp wiring was enticing but its not as solid and simple as dc to dc charging. Full and intelligent multi-stage charging that automatically isolates the tug and trailer battery and models that have MPPT solar controller built in for use with portable solar while in camp.

There are many such chargers on the market from 10 to 40 amp intelligent muti-stage charging. Am looking at 40 amp charging models requiring much larger charge wires, 2 AWG or 1/0, to minimize voltage drop to less than 1 volt from end to end.

Anyone wanting to use the tow vehicle to charge while on the road and frustrated with just having less effective charge using line from tug battery to trailer battery, this could be your solution if you are up to running a good size charge wire from end to end. In my case the wire and dc to dc charger is larger than normal due to my house battery being 520AH, others can get by with a 20 or 25 amp dc to dc charger.

Vehicle factory solution is to run wire tug to trailer. However that will not properly charge your battery to its fullest no matter how many hours you drive. The problem is exacerbated by the smart controllers vehicle manufacturers have implemented after 2006 which lowers alternator output voltage to only meet the vehicle's requirements and that usually means not enough potential to drive a proper bulk charging stage, never mind the large voltage drop between the alternator and the trailer's battery. You can thank the small wiring for that.

The inverter solution also works and used by many as I discovered but too many devices in the mix that adds complexity, overall inefficiency and cost. Dc to dc chargers automatically isolate the batteries at each end with built in isolation.

For the smaller chargers CTek makes a 20 amp unit.