Rear cam & side mirrors = confusion backing up. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #21

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Tricky for sure. Adjusting my brain? Now that’s a challenge.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 T
Thanks for the information on reverse image. That makes sense. Now I understand why I looked so stupid when I never had significant backing problems with my casita before. I knew I was seeing something wrong but under the pressure of parking I couldn't figure out what the problem was. GREAT INFO,
Lee.Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
A friend got a set of walkie talkies as him and his wife would end up near killing each other by the time they got their 38' fifth wheel backed in. Might work better then hand signals where you can't see your partner. I suppose these days you'd just use your cell phones.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the factory camera system on our new 19 has a microphone at the camera for just this thing. Handy.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
A friend got a set of walkie talkies as him and his wife would end up near killing each other by the time they got their 38' fifth wheel backed in. Might work better then hand signals where you can't see your partner. I suppose these days you'd just use your cell phones.
Yes, we use a set of Uniden ones whenever we're in a back-up situation. My wife tends to be an enthusiastic hand signaler . Sometimes too much isn't a good thing. Basically she uses 3 words, left, right and stop. Works perfectly for us and doesn't provide any entertainment for the campground.

A secondary use we have for them is when we're off together somewhere but go our separate ways, whether in a mall or other stores. After about 4 other brands over the years the Uniden really does work well even when you're miles apart. Since we only have one cell phone between us, they're very handy.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, we use a set of Uniden ones whenever we're in a back-up situation. My wife tends to be an enthusiastic hand signaler . Sometimes too much isn't a good thing. Basically she uses 3 words, left, right and stop. Works perfectly for us and doesn't provide any entertainment for the campground.

A secondary use we have for them is when we're off together somewhere but go our separate ways, whether in a mall or other stores. After about 4 other brands over the years the Uniden really does work well even when you're miles apart. Since we only have one cell phone between us, they're very handy.

Ron
Yup the kids got us a set of Midlands . Everything you said they are handy for . Son -in-law goes hunting a lot and very useful for that purpose . Also when we are all caravaning to a campground we all can communicate between vehicles I had some leaking radiator hose issues one trip going to Winthrop and had to keep stopping filling up with antifreeze until we could do a fix . Very handy to always have . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #26

Rear cam&side mirrors =confusion backing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yup the kids got us a set of Midlands . Everything you said they are handy for . Son -in-law goes hunting a lot and very useful for that purpose . Also when we are all caravaning to a campground we all can communicate between vehicles I had some leaking radiator hose issues one trip going to Winthrop and had to keep stopping filling up with antifreeze until we could do a fix . Very handy to always have . Pat
The ones the kids got for us .they charge 120 or batteries. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0007 2.jpg  
Old 10-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #27

Trailer: 17B 2012
Backup camera for solo hitching

My car doesn't have a backup camera but I wondered about installing one so that I can locate the hitch. I travel solo and I am always nervous about unhitching the car (well, actually, nervous about hitching it back up). Does anyone use a backup camera for that purpose? Does it work?
Owyheebabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I’m also solo and my truck has a back up camera which I use everytime I hitch my trailer up. I still have to get out a couple times to make sure I’m in the proper position. Before my new truck I used the telescoping alignment poles with the tennis balls on top to back up to the trailer. They actually work great and they are only $20 at Harbor Freight. I am seriously thinking about getting ETI to install their backup camera on my trailer, this year I almost backed into a tree
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #29

Trailer: 17B 2012
Thanks Dianne! I have never seen the thing with the tennis balls but I am going to head out to Harbor Freight and see what I can find. That is spooky about the tree.
Owyheebabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have Swift Hitch camera ( attaches magnetically to back of vehicle ) and I have the telescoping poles. You will still have to get out and look as you get close, because neither of these tell you if the ball and hitch are at the right height.
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Hitch.png  
Old 10-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
https://www.harborfreight.com/Magnet...Kit-69778.html
Here is a link
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Before we had our current truck, we used the iBall which is also a wireless backup camera that attaches magnetically to your tow vehicle. https://www.iballhitchcam.com/produc...SABEgLhJPD_BwE

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:54 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
re tennis balls, here's probably the same thing, they make it pretty darn easy. I've seen them called 'marriage savers'

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R8EWV9O
Attached Thumbnails
61-qrdKzwmL._SL1500_[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:55 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
catch-22 tho, if the slope of the parking area is uneven, they don't work so great, only if its dead flat. for instance, if the tow vehicle is even a bit tilted relative to the trailer... oops.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:38 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our trailer came with the factory backup camera . The camera is still in the original packaging , sitting on a shelf in some unknown location , waiting to be used someday in the distant future .

It will probably be outdated technology by the time we get enough ambition to put it to use
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
I think I will get the tennis ball thingy, a lot cheaper then $199.00. It is an aide, it will get me close enough. It is OK if I have to get out once or twice to check it. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Rear cam backing up tips?

Hi all

Slightly embarrassed to ask this - but I bet I get some good tips below.

So for backing into a campsite with our Casita (no backup cam) I knew to only use the tug’s side mirrors, and to put my hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel, and to move my hand in the direction I wanted the back of the Casita to go, as seen in the side view mirrors.

However now that we have the ETI installed rear view camera - on our 21’ escape - - I find my pea brain overloaded, and I get confused when I look at both the side mirrors and also the rear camera.

Now the rear camera offers much more information, and I would prefer to rely mostly on the rear view camera, as my awesome wife has the hand signals perfected,

But I somehow now feel that my habit of “hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move my hand in the direction I want the back of the trailer to go” no longer works.

My brain gets very confused now when backing into a spot.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

John.
Your camera will never give you a complete picture of what is happening all around your vehicle, and it is important not to rely too much on it. Just back your Escape into your site in the same way you would have done with your Casita. Ignore the backup camera. When you no longer are confident on what to do next while backing up, stop and check your camera, or get out and walk around your trailer to see the situation. Then get back into your car and keep on backing in (again ignoring the camera).

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Before we had our current truck, we used the iBall which is also a wireless backup camera that attaches magnetically to your tow vehicle. https://www.iballhitchcam.com/produc...SABEgLhJPD_BwE
Yup what we use Can hook up by myself with the I-ball camera .Pat
Old 10-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
i use my rear camera when I'm on the road. very helpful for what's behind me especially if it's close.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Both my RAV4 & Tacoma had the vehicle rear view camera mounted off center. While it got you in the general area, both were useless to accurately position the hitch. The F 150 has a center camera which does better, although it is mounted high enough that it still takes some interpretation of the image to tell if you have the ball under the hitch.

As to the trailer camera, I rarely use it to position the trailer in a site. Maybe to determine how deep I'm into the site, but I much prefer getting out & looking. Too easy to miss important hard objects using just the camera! It is useful when driving to check for people sneaking up on you...