Tesla truck to revolutionize RV towing? - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #161
Escape Trailer Industries

Trailer: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not to argue, but the worlds energy consumption is 90% fossil fuels, coal, gas, oil with hydro, solar and other making up the difference. Canada maybe ahead of the US and elsewhere with hydroelectric. What ever happened to atomic energy, it was really big post WWII but they seem to be shutting down,
I am 100% in favour of 'friendly' energy. Most everyone believes (inwardly if not outwardly) that fossil fuels are generally bad for energy creation.
Hydro and dams mess with fish breeding cycles which ultimately runs back to an issue in the sea.
Solar/Wind and maybe tidal power have the least environmental or ecological impact.
I do love the idea that perhaps big batteries on the RV charged by solar and/or vertical wind turbine would be cool. This way your RV stores energy and possibly could also recharge the vehicle. Downsides are many e.g., extra weight requires more power to move it, which of course needs more energy, but if you can replenish quickly with 'friendly' energy... blah blah blah this could go on forever. I need to get back to work :-)
Sounds like a great project for Johnny Hung and his Electrified Escape. Maybe we should put this as a conversation topic at the Rally in May 2020.
Karl@Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #162

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl@Escape View Post
Maybe we should put this as a conversation topic at the Rally in May 2020.
It would certainly be a great one to have, and be quite popular. Pretty much anything to do with solar and related things would be a good thing to discuss.

After missing my the rally for the first time last year due to my fall, I definitely plan to be there next year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #163

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl@Escape View Post
I do love the idea that perhaps big batteries on the RV charged by solar and/or vertical wind turbine would be cool. This way your RV stores energy and possibly could also recharge the vehicle. Downsides are many e.g., extra weight requires more power to move it, which of course needs more energy, but if you can replenish quickly with 'friendly' energy...
The reality of roof area and energy collection efficiency means that this is only workable for an RV that only moves occasionally (drive for 100 km, once every couple of weeks?), and doesn't have high energy requirements while camped (no space heating, for instance).

Usually when an electric car is shown to a general public audience, someone asks "why doesn't it have solar panels on top so it would charge itself". The answer is "because the panel isn't worth carrying around".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #164

Trailer: 2009 Rpod 151
I support electric vehicles, but the big picture is often left out by the media.
https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas...t-green-think/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, but it is also completely unsupported by any reference. I would be interested in seeing links to those studies.
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #165

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Living with EVs (very, very long post )

Can someone with a few years of experience with EVs interject some real-life experience? We own a 2012 Volt (now our local driver), 2018 Tesla Model 3 (does most of the driving) and a 2018 Toyota Highlander Ltd (mostly sits). We pretty much only use the Highlander to tow our 2014 Escape 21 because the EVs are so superior in every way. Prior to the Highlander, our tow vehicle was a 2012 VW Touareg TDI (diesel). We'll replace the Highlander with an EV tow vehicle as soon as a viable/affordable one comes along. I do have a deposit on the long range Cybertruck, although it's a bit bigger than I'd like. It's the same length as a F150 CrewCab with a 5' bed, even though it has as large a cab (probably much more spacious, based on my Model 3 experience) and a 6.5' bed.

CHARGING/RANGE
One can charge anywhere there is electricity. If the grid goes down, fuel pumps don't work either. I frequently drive to our family cabin in Northern Alberta where there's no EV charging infrastructure along the way. I pace myself so I arrive there with about 5% charge left - the car has great tools for monitoring energy usage en route. Consumption drops drastically if one slows down.

120V charging is called Level 1 charging and is the slowest, but is a viable option if you have the time. Plugging into 120V/15A (standard home outlet) gets the Model 3 a full charge in about 48 hours (from 5% left). That's with the Long Range (~75 kWh) battery. If using a 120V/30A (TT-30: typical 30 amp outlet in RV campground that you plug your Escape into), charging time is half that. A 12 hour charge at 120V/15A restores about 110 km of range on my Model 3. That covers most days where one is running around doing local activities/errands and sight-seeing, but not sufficient to replenish the drain of a long day travelling.

Level 2 charging is with 240V. My home wall charger is 60A which would add 95% charge in 6 hours, so I've always got a full battery by morning. The Tesla mobile charger maxes at 32A so on a 14-50 outlet (240V/50A - the standard 50A outlet in campgrounds) charging the battery from 5% to full takes just over 9 hours. Level 2 charging is a great overnight solution. Most EVs can be programmed when to start charging so they can be set to charge at night when rates are lowest, in the middle of the night (or free as in Texas). This actually a big help for the electrical grid as they're built to handle the peak power required in the afternoon/early evening but aren't easily powered down for night-time.

There are a lot of public EV chargers that are Level 2 ranging from 16A to 80A. They usually have the J-1772 connectore which is compatible with most EVs such as my Volt, and Tesla includes an adapter with their cars. They are also common at hotels that have chargers. When possible I only stay at hotels with chargers - it's great to wake up to a full battery every day, just like at home.

Level 3 charging is CHAdeMO, CCS and Telsa Superchargers. Most non-Tesla stations have both CHAdeMO and CCS for compatability with non-Tesla EVs capable of fast charging (most newer long-range EVs). Tesla of course uses their Superchargers, but one can get an adapter for CHAdeMO for their Tesla if needed. British Columbia north of Hwy 1 is a good example of an area serviced by CHAdeMO/CCS but not Superchargers. Tesla's Superchargers are very well maintained - it's rare that one is ever not operating but it can happen. Locations have at least 4 chargers, often many more. Other networks are often less reliable and may only have one charger available, first come, first served.

The best source for finding places to charge is PlugShare. The most current database of Tesla Superchargers is Supercharge.info. It's crowdshared data shows active stations, those confirmed to be under construction and those where building permits exist.

Most CHAdeMO/CCS charging stations are 50kW. Existing Tesla Superchargers (v2) were 120kW, most have been upgraded to 150kW. Now they're installing (e.g. the Trans Canada from Calgary to Sudbury) v3 Superchargers capable of charging at up to 250kW. At a v2 Supercharger my Model 3 can get 80% charge in less than 20 minutes. The final 20% takes nearly an hour so usually we grab a quick bite and bathroom break and hit the road after 15-30 minutes charging. No point in waiting for that last 10-20% charge - it's too slow. With 80% charge I can drive nearly 400 km at highway speeds anyway. CHAdeMO/CCS will be slower, v3 Superchargers faster based on their rated kW capabilities.

No specs have been released on the Cybertruck batteries, but using what we know, the pack sizes are estimated to be 75kWh for the RWD (same as my Model 3), 100-120kWh for the Dual Motor AWD and 150-200kWh for the Tri Motor AWD. Estimate 2-3x the charging times given above for the Tri-Motor version (best for towing because longest range) for Level 1 and 2 charging. However for Supercharging, it won't be that much slower as it will charge at full charge rate for a much longer time before the charge begins its taper. I'd estimate 30-40 minutes to get 80% charge.

Tesla has been very accurate with their ranges (unlike some other EV makers...). At 110km/h (70mph) with no air conditioning/heating it's fairly easy to achieve their ranges on the highway on a calm day. Based on people's experience with towing Airstreams with the Model X, one can plan on range being roughly half the rated range while towing. Speed is the real killer so the slower one drives, the greater the range.

I've made this sound somewhat complicated, but if you can charge at home, every morning you wake up with a full battery - 500 km of range for the day. If I drive less, I never have to think about charging. It's only when I drive more than 500 km in a day that I need to worry about charging en route and that is easy and convenient if I'm on a route served by the Supercharger network. Range anxiety only really exists amongst people who don't own a long-range EV.

SERVICE
There is no scheduled service on Teslas anymore. Change the wiper blades, top up the washer fluid and rotate the tires as necessary as on any other vehicle. They used to recommend replacing the brake fluid every 2 years and the battery coolant every 4 years. My plan is to do both at 4 years on my car, but with a Cybertruck doing a lot of towing, I'd be inclined to have the brake fluid checked every couple years. There are some horror stories about service. They are mostly regarding waiting for body parts to repair damage from collisions. It will take a pretty hard collision to damage the Cybertruck!

My own experience with service was the best service I've ever had in 40 years of car ownership. One taillight was filled with condensation. The Tesla Ranger came to my office. I left my keycard at the front desk for him so he got that and proceeded to fix my vehicle in the parking lot. He asked to see me when done to see if I needed anything else. He then returned my keycard and was off to the next repair. Most Tesla problems can be fixed over the air with a software fix. Most of the rest are fixed by a Mobile Ranger. Only if the car needs to go on a lift does it need to go to a service centre. If you're near a service centre they'll ask you to come in, but I'm over 2 hours away and they sent the Mobile Ranger. Fantastic service. Compared to the $1,000+ a year I spent just on scheduled service for my VW Touareg TDI, this is amazing.

The Model 3 drivetrain is rated for 1,000,000 miles, the battery they expect will be good for 300,000 to 500,000 miles. They're working on the 1,000,000 mile battery, I hope that's what the Cybertruck gets. Some early Model S & X vehicles are over 300,000 miles and doing very well. There were some early battery warranty issues, but those seem to have been addressed. The Model 3's are doing very well, but as they're much newer, we're only just starting to see some exceed 100,000 miles.

AUTOPILOT
Of my 35,000 km driven on the Model 3, I'd estimate 25,000 have been driven on Autopilot (AP). It's the world's greatest driver assistance package. I arrive at my destination so much more energized after a long drive. Of course I still need to pay attention to what it's doing. Yes, once in awhile I take over to navigate through a tricky situation. Nevertheless I dread doing long trips without it anymore. Yes, it makes me a far safer driver - I remain more alert, less fatigued and am able to pay more attention on what's happening around me rather than on the tasks of maintaining my speed and lane. Teslas on AP register one accident every 4.34 million miles driven. Comparitively, NHTSA's data shows an automobile crash for every 498,000 every miles driven. Not quite apples to apples comparison because AP is limited where in it works, but it also it reports EVERY accident whereas NHTSA only records reported accidents. The other great thing is AP keeps getting better. Every 4 weeks or so a new software update for the car is rolled out. Most of these updates include incremental improvements to AP; it works far better now than it did 16 months ago.

THOUGHTS ON TOWING AN ESCAPE RV
Based on others experiences towing similar trailers (e.g. Airstreams) with Tesla Model X, I estimate that the Cybertruck should be able to average 400 Wh/km (650 Wh/mi) towing an Escape 21, better with the smaller RVs. That would yield 375km range if the Tri Motor has a 150 kWh battery and 500 km range if it's 200 kWh. My wish is for 400 km range, so this should work. There will be times I'll pay extra to camp in a site with 50A service to charge the tow vehicle - I can live without the trailer plugged in just fine for days. I'd plan my long days driving so that I stop for a long lunch break at a Supercharger and leave with a nearly full battery. Maybe 350 km before lunch and another 350 km after. Best would be to top up the battery at the closest Supercharger to my intended campsite while on the way there.

Yes, Supercharging with a trailer attached can be inconvenient. Worst case one has to disconnect, charge, then reconnect the trailer, but this isn't necessary all of the time. Sometimes there are pull-in chargers, sometimes you can park across a few sites at one end and charge. I would also plan on leaving the trailer in a campground and grabbing a charge while driving the tow vehicle around for the day if there's on in the area.

The box sides are an integral part of the strength of the vehicle and will interfere with 5th wheel hitches so no 5.0 TA unfortunately.

COST OF FUEL
Model 3 (my average): 160 Wh/km x $0.125/kWh = $0.02/km
Cybertruck (est. not towing): 250 Wh/km x $0.125/kWh = $0.03/km
Cybertruck (est. towing): 400 Wh/km x $0.125/kWh = $0.05/km
VW Touareg TDI (ave, not towing): 10L/100km x $1.20/L = $0.12/km
VW Touareg TDI (towing): 16L/100km x $1.20/L = $0.19/km

Assumptions: My electricity at home is ~$0.065/kWh for electricity and $0.06/kWh for transmission and delivery. I actually generate 70% of my power by our solar system, but let's ignore that for now. I assumed 200kWh pack for the Cybertruck, that yields 250 Wh/km; estimating 400 Wh/km for towing as above. Using fuel consumption from our Touareg as it had a great system for tracking fuel efficiency. The Highlander, not so much. Gas/diesel prices are variable so I picked $1.20/L just because.

Above costs are for charging at home. On the road charging is variable. Most Level 2 chargers I've used are free, some charge. Those that charge are often 2-3x what it costs to charge at home. Charging in a campground is included with the price of the 30A/50A campsite. Supercharging is free with many, but not all Model S & X vehicles, not with the Model 3. Supercharger credits are often given out as incentives for referrals or for purchasing at the end of a fiscal quarter. Since the Cybertruck is so inexpensive I bet Supercharging will not be free with it either. Many places Tesla is not permitted to charge for electricity so they charge for time spent at the Supercharger. A typical 20 minute charge to get up to 80% (400 km) on my Model 3 will be about $8.00.

I've gone on far too long, yet there's so much more about EV ownership I could say. The Volt was my favourite car I'd ever had, as long as it was still operating as an EV, not as great when the battery ran low and the generator kicked in. The Tesla is at least 10x better than the Volt. I look forward to an EV tow vehicle and to be done with internal combustion engines for good. I'm happy to answer questions about EVs or speculate on the Cybertruck if anyone has read this far and is still interested.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #166

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmitch View Post
I support electric vehicles, but the big picture is often left out by the media.

Why are you linking to the media then?
Old 11-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #167

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Nice write up bpjod. As you live in central Alberta where we can get some good cold snaps, could you comment on the effect of cold temperatures on your EVs. Thanks
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #168

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
Nice write up bpjod. Thanks

Agreed.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
Nice write up bpjod. As you live in central Alberta where we can get some good cold snaps, could you comment on the effect of cold temperatures on your EVs. Thanks
Best winter vehicle I've ever had. Mine is a rear wheel drive with the long-range battery. It's the first configuration they came out with, but now the rear wheel drive is only available with the smaller battery. My previous best winter vehicle was a 1998 Subaru Outback, the VW Touareg TDI was pretty good in winter too. Why is the RWD Tesla Model 3 better than those two great AWD vehicles?

TRACTION CONTROL: the instant response of the EV powertrain, the amazing traction control system, the low centre of gravity (battery in the floor) and low polar moment of inertia (no heavy engine out front and heavy gas tank out back) all add up to being the best vehicle I've ever driven in bad weather conditions. I can only imagine how much better the AWD version is, but I'd rather have my longer range and the $6,000 I saved with the RWD given how great it was through it's first winter. I did drive from Banff to home during the worst two blizzards last winter. Plenty of cars in the ditch, but we were solid.

HEAT: The interior of the car warms up super fast. The heated seats warm up even faster - with 2-3 blocks we have to turn them down from the highest setting. I do miss the heated steering wheel of our Touareg though. The Model S & X both have heated steering wheels. In addition, I can start warming up my car from anywhere in the world via the phone app (Tesla) or my Apple Watch (3rd party app). No worries about pre-warming the car in idle-free zones either! In fact my 3rd party app can schedule times to start warming the vehicle so it's always warm in the morning and when I leave work.

RANGE: This is everyone's concern. It really varies. If one is on a long road trip and plans properly, this isn't an issue. Plug in the charging cable. Use the timers to have the car fully charged at the same time you plan to depart and start heating the car about 20 minutes prior to departure to warm not only the air, but also heat all the interior parts of the car to retain heat better (easier now with a new update designed to do exactly this). Now this energy intensive step is done with shore power and by charging the battery just prior to departure, the battery is also pre-warmed. Doing this results in only a minimal hit to range - about 15%.

On the other hand there's driving to a store. Letting the car get cold. Driving to the mall. Letting it get cold again. Driving to your lunch date. etc. This kills range really fast because of having to continually reheat the car. In this scenario it's easy to lose more than 50% of range. Still, 250 km range should be plenty for a day of running around town doing errands.

Rarely do I need more than 200 km in a day so I don't worry about any of this. We have driven from Wetaskiwin to Sun Peaks (North of Kamloops, 1,000 km each way) with 4 people and all our ski gear with a roof box on and until we got to Golden it was -28C outside. The only problem was the first Supercharge on a cold battery took about twice as long as expected because the battery was too cold. Tesla has addressed that issue with a software update - it now pre-warms the battery when it sees an upcoming Supercharger in your route plan. It's in their best interest to have people charge faster as they won't have to build as many charging stations if the cars spend less time there.

We did a lot of ski trips last winter with the roof box and there was never a concern with range.

DOWNSIDES: There are a couple. The door handles are particularly prone to freezing shut in a freezing rain and after a car wash and the trim around the windows (frameless windows) also freezes. I apparently have to re-apply the rubber conditioner I applied last winter that fixed the problem as I see they're sticking again.

Low ground clearance - typical with any low-slung car. Better with the Model X and soon to be Y and will not be an issue with the 16" clearance on the Cybertruck! That's about it.
Old 11-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #170

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What a great write up and review, thank you!
Old 11-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #171

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Thanks for your answer. It is great to have a reply that advises of the positives and negatives. I have ridden in a friends Tesla 3 and must say I was impressed with the ride and fit and finish as well as the technology. It also out accelerates my WRX.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 06:43 PM   #172

Are these charges stations for Tesla only? I imagine into the future there will have to be charge stations that service all makes in order to keep costs down.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #173

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Excellent owner experience info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod View Post
Best winter vehicle I've ever had. Mine is a rear wheel drive with the long-range battery.
I'm not surprised. The rear motor location and the massive battery in the middle of the car make it relatively rear-heavy compared to typical rear-drive cars, which is good for traction. Sports cars with similar mass distribution (due to mid-mounted engines or front engines pushed as rearward as possible) work great in winter conditions... other than the ground clearance issue, of course.

How this works for a pickup is not so straightforward: if it has relatively equal front and rear axle loads when empty, it will be able to carry little payload in the back before the rear axle load is too high (given the same tire size front and rear). A typical pickup is quite front-heavy when empty and moderately rear-heavy when full.

Quote:
TRACTION CONTROL: the instant response of the EV powertrain, the amazing traction control system, the low centre of gravity (battery in the floor) and low polar moment of inertia (no heavy engine out front and heavy gas tank out back) all add up to being the best vehicle I've ever driven in bad weather conditions.
All of the factors listed are sound reasons for good control, but I find the traction control comments about Tesla cars (from various owners) interesting. Tesla's traction control is the same as or inferior to every other car in current production, since it works the same way as any other car without a drivetrain capable of controlling the torque delivered to each wheel: it uses the brakes, individually at each wheel. Since electronic stability control has been required by regulations in North America for about a decades, all cars have this. I suspect that Tesla owners are happy because the cars are inherently stable and have good traction due to mass distribution, and attribute the result incorrectly to the electric powertrain. Yes, the motor can reduce power very quickly, but it has lots of rotational inertia and cannot control the distribution of torque between left and right wheels, so it's really the brakes that are critical to control.

Quote:
The door handles are particularly prone to freezing shut in a freezing rain...
It's image-driven stupidity like these flush door handles, for which Tesla has been widely ridiculed by automotive journalists and enthusiasts, which makes me wonder about a Tesla truck... and the displayed pickup shows that there is reason to be concerned. It is as if the door handles were designed by someone who had never actually entered a car outside of a showroom, and some of the truck features (including box sides that you can't reach over, and brushed stainless panels that will show every little contact) were devised by someone who had heard of trucks but never actually used one. We'll see what the actual truck is like, assuming that it eventually goes into production.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:16 PM   #174

bpjod here. I can't log in as bpjod so I've created this new account. My password gets rejected and trying to reset the password fails as I never get emailed the link to change it. I've emailed support but they're likely enjoying their turkey dinner.

Any way, just to be clear: my reply about winter driving is with winter tires. I would never consider driving in an Alberta/BC winter without winter tires. I never mentioned it because it would never cross my mind to drive in our winter without winter tires. However some people here do and some of the audience may be in Southern States and not realize that my experiences are with winter tires on, so I thought I should come back and state that explicitly.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:22 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Are these charges stations for Tesla only? I imagine into the future there will have to be charge stations that service all makes in order to keep costs down.
I took an hour composing a long reply. When I tried to post I'd somehow gotten myself logged out and lost that reply. So, I'll be more concise and will be happy to provide more details if desired.

Concise answer:
Level 2 EV chargers: Tesla and J-1772 (Teslas come with J-1772 adapters so can use both).

Level 3 EV chargers: CHAdeMO (Japanese), CCS (started by Germans, Ford & GM, later joined by the rest of European and Korean manufacturers), and Tesla Superchargers. Tesla owners can buy CHAdeMO adapters if they travel in areas well serviced by CHAdeMO but not Tesla Superchargers.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #176

Trailer: Escape
bpjod,
Thank you for taking the time to give us so much information. Yours is an astounding post. Last April I got a ride in a Tesla 3. I knew I was seeing the future. I just wasn't sure how soon the future would be here for towing.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod redux View Post
I took an hour composing a long reply. When I tried to post I'd somehow gotten myself logged out and lost that reply. So, I'll be more concise and will be happy to provide more details if desired.

Concise answer:

Level 2 EV chargers: Tesla and J-1772 (Teslas come with J-1772 adapters so can use both).

Level 3 EV chargers: CHAdeMO (Japanese), CCS (started by Germans, Ford & GM, later joined by the rest of European and Korean manufacturers), and Tesla Superchargers. Tesla owners can buy CHAdeMO adapters if they travel in areas well serviced by CHAdeMO but not Tesla Superchargers.
Thanks, I had just heard everyone calling them Tesla chargers and worried they were just for them. Still lots to learn in this technology.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:50 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's image-driven stupidity like these flush door handles, for which Tesla has been widely ridiculed by automotive journalists and enthusiasts, which makes me wonder about a Tesla truck... and the displayed pickup shows that there is reason to be concerned. It is as if the door handles were designed by someone who had never actually entered a car outside of a showroom, and some of the truck features (including box sides that you can't reach over, and brushed stainless panels that will show every little contact) were devised by someone who had heard of trucks but never actually used one. We'll see what the actual truck is like, assuming that it eventually goes into production.
Elon is a physicist and designs vehicles from that perspective. Flush door handles are all about aerodynamics. They work great (when not frozen) and reduce drag by more than you'd think. When they're frozen I just have to push a little harder to break the ice. They've never been completely stuck. Elon also lives in California now and likely forgets what winter in Saskatchewan was like

The handles on the Cybertruck appear to be the same as are on the Model S. They were the number one source of warranty repairs for the first few years but have apparently gotten much better and are no longer a source of grief. It would not surprise me if they were redesigned before the release date, but whatever they come up with will still be flush with the body as there is no good reason to have them protrude and aerodynamics is a great reason to have them flush.

The box sides serve two purposes so they won't go away. The first is structural, without them the truck would fold in half. Secondly is to support the tonneau cover so that the when closed the Cybertruck is a very aerodynamic shape unlike a conventional truck.

One major downside of the box sides is the inability to hook up a 5th wheel. Many are over 14,000 lbs so they couldn't use the Cybertruck anyway. For those that are, such as the Escape 5.0 TA, unfortunately that combination just won't work. Pick a different tow vehicle or choose the Escape 21.

The other problem is reaching into the box from the sides. Have you tried doing that on a newer pickup? Unless you're 6'10" you probably can't reach in on any new truck anyway. They build those so high off the ground now. The Cybertruck has the nice ramp built into the tailgate so you can walk up into the box easily. The side of the tailgate also has a step so you can step in easily if you don't want to pull out the ramp. Finally the box sides look to have a storage unit built into them so you can likely store small items such as tools in there and reach them from the outside of the truck rather than having to reach into the box. Not a bad compromise really.

I keep harping on aerodynamics. Why does it matter? Well with better aerodynamics you get more range per kWh (better mileage). Internal combustion engines are so wasteful a slightly less aerodynamic shape makes not too much difference but EVs are so efficient that these inefficiencies are far more noticeable. Less efficient means:

Less distance for the same sized battery pack, or
larger battery pack to get the same range.

A larger battery pack means more weight which further decreases efficiency.

Less efficiency also means more time spent at chargers to go the same distance.
It's better to just be as aero as possible.

P.S.: when I tried posting this reply I had been somehow logged out again. Thankfully I copied the reply first (fool me once...). Why is this happening?
Old 11-28-2019, 10:55 PM   #179

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjod redux View Post

P.S.: when I tried posting this reply I had been somehow logged out again. Thankfully I copied the reply first (fool me once...). Why is this happening?

This is the bane of this forum, that it auto-logs you out if it sees no activity for a period of time. My work around when I'm busy typing is to open a second tab logged onto the forum. Then occasionally click on something in that tab, to show activity.
I also try to remember to copy my doc. before posting, just in case.

Thank you, very much, for the extensive information. My oldest son has a Model 3, we have a Prius, and a Honda Pilot (the tow), and we've had more than one conversation about the topics you've covered.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 11:02 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Thanks, I had just heard everyone calling them Tesla chargers and worried they were just for them. Still lots to learn in this technology.
Hey Jim, I've learned a ton reading your posts here over the years as my alter-ego bpjod . Happy to be able to contribute and answer some questions.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words too.

I'll let you in on a little secret. Most Tesla owners love talking about and showing off their cars. I've spent a lot of time answering questions and even let many people drive my car. Even total strangers. Much like my Escape trailer, only more so.

Attend a local EV event. National Drive Electric week is every September and there are always events in most major cities. I've been to the last few in Edmonton and I know the Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta also has events in Calgary. Local Tesla owners clubs also have events. I attended one before buying one and got to take a spin in someone's Tesla for my first ever EV experience. Heck, you could even go to the Tesla Superchargers at Crossiron Mills and check out the Teslas there. Some owner will probably willing to chat with you about their car. Careful with the stalking though - in case you didn't know, Teslas use their built in cameras to record all action going on around them so we can see what you're doing to our cars even if we're not there .

One last word of advice. Don't test drive one . Seriously. Once you do you can't get the experience out of your brain. You will be haunted until you buy one.