Tire pressure monitoring systems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tire pressure monitoring systems

After having my first flat tire while towing this year, I am contemplating acquiring a tire pressure monitoring system for BlackJack. Other than tire replacement there was no damage to the trailer, but if I had not stopped when I did, I would have lost the wheel real soon as the lugs were only hand tight due to running while flat.
So I'm doing some research and wanted some feedback from forum members.....
Old 12-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I've always thought it would be great if you could just add the trailer wheels into the vehicle's built in tire pressure system.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Very happy with this one; alerted me to a leaker (due to a nail) with plenty of time to spare.

507 Starter System Kit - Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, Starter Systems - Truck System Technologies

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I've always thought it would be great if you could just add the trailer wheels into the vehicle's built in tire pressure system.
A separate TPMS lets you know WHICH tire is a problem, unlike the vehicle version.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
A separate TPMS lets you know WHICH tire is a problem, unlike the vehicle version.
True - definite advantage there.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I'm not really happy with my Tire Traker system. New batteries every year, several part failures (replaced under warranty, though), and I had to install a signal booster in the trailer to get it to work decently. I hear good things about the Dill products, although they have to be mounted on the inner portion of the wheel.

All that said, I just wouldn't tow a dual axle trailer any more without a TPMS. By the time you know you have a problem, the tire is toast.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Unlike the built-in systems in most vehicles, but I'm pretty sure that I've read of factory systems which show each tire's data separately on the dashboard.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think the monitoring system on my RAV4 got screwed up many tire changes ago, with switching from snows to all-season and back.
Had a tire with about 16 lbs. in it that didn't light up the dash.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mine does, LF/LR RF/RR
Old 12-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Tire Minder

Here is my post I copied from another thread:

I have the Tireminder and use with mixed results. Bottom line is that it does what it is supposed to do and alarm when you have a low (or leaking tire or change in set temperature) and that is what I have come to rely on it for. But....

-First I have had to have the "head" unit replaced twice which I must add was done through TM at no problem. A quick call, discussion of the issue and a new unit was on the way.

-The sending units on the wheel tend to go through batteries but they are easy to replace (also need to pay attention to the O rings on the sending units for dry rot).

-I use the sending units to set tire pressure, i.e. use as a tire gauge, but I sometime question the accuracy especially after the trailer sits overnight. The temp reading is sometimes too high for the ambient temperature at the start of the day. Also I sometimes have to take the sending unit off then put pack on to get a more accurate tire pressure reading.

I have nothing to compare this to but overall despite it's shortcomings I would not be without it (or something similar). Service from the company has been great and the few times I had a tire issue the system worked as advertised. After experiencing a blow out in Houston, TX rush hour freeway traffic in our previous Casita I will never travel without some type of monitoring system.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mine does, LF/LR RF/RR
Thanks Jim. Now that I know what to look for, it appears that lots of Chrysler and GM products (and probably Fords and everything else, but those are just what I noticed first) have separately displayed values... and cool graphics to go with them. Ram dual-rear-wheel trucks even show the inner and outer tires on each side separately, which makes sense.

Not all of them do this, of course - I've never owned a vehicle with tire pressure sensors, let alone individual displays.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think the monitoring system on my RAV4 got screwed up many tire changes ago, with switching from snows to all-season and back.
Had a tire with about 16 lbs. in it that didn't light up the dash.
Glenn, did you try getting them all to the correct pressure and doing the reset button? Or that doesn't work anymore?

Old 12-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Every time I took the FJ in to switch to tires, the system would start lighting up after about 10 miles or so of driving. After multiple times taking it back and what not, I was told the tire guy has to reset the system. Least I think that's what it was. All I know is that when I take it in now I tell 'em what happened before and they know what I mean and it doesn't do it any longer so they do whatever they need doing. You might want to tell your tire folks that the next time you switch 'em over.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Glenn, did you try getting them all to the correct pressure and doing the reset button? Or that doesn't work anymore?
Toyota has done the tire changes and I wasn't aware of any reset. I presume they would be doing whatever is necessary. I still haven't worked my way through the manual for the sound system ( after seven years ).
I'm running these snows until they are done, and then I'm looking at all-weather Nokian tires.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Toyota has done the tire changes and I wasn't aware of any reset. I presume they would be doing whatever is necessary. I still haven't worked my way through the manual for the sound system ( after seven years ).
I'm running these snows until they are done, and then I'm looking at all-weather Nokian tires.
Its worth a try doing the reset- I have to look it up in the manual every time I do it! Just like I have to with reseting the Maint Required one after an oil change.

My snows are mounted on plain steel rims without the sensors, so my warming light is on all winter.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #16

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
My snows are mounted on plain steel rims without the sensors, so my warming light is on all winter.
Mine used to be that way until WA state required the monitors on all tires that go on a vehicle that's equipped with the sensor system. That was a few years ago.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Mine used to be that way until WA state required the monitors on all tires that go on a vehicle that's equipped with the sensor system. That was a few years ago.
Interesting. It appears that WAC 204-10-021 Washington adopted federal standards (including FMVSS Standard 138) making them apply to vehicles operated in that state that would otherwise apply only to new vehicles as they are sold. That implies that when you change wheels on a vehicle that would have requred TPMS when new, you need to maintain a functional TPMS system.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Very happy with this one; alerted me to a leaker (due to a nail) with plenty of time to spare.

507 Starter System Kit - Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, Starter Systems - Truck System Technologies
Thanks Charly- just ordered one from TST and they're doing 10% off or $234.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... The TPMS on our tug sends me into the tire shop at least once a year. Usually sets off the first cold snap in the fall and not as often when warming up in the spring. Both our vehicles have one and they're a royal PITA in MHO. A good look and tire gauge is still the best!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #20

Alf in the fall could it just be falling tire pressures with the temps getting lower? That has happened to me before, when I've been negligent about getting out the gauge with season changes.

Side note: Whenever I get either my Tacoma or Corolla back from having the Toyota dealer do any service, my tires are always overinflated to 35 psi. Finally talked to the service manager and he said they started doing that since they were getting so many calls on the lights coming on for low pressure. So they pump the tires to the recommended 30, reset the system pressures to that, then pump them up to 35 psi. Lights don't detect overinflation and too many people now never bother with checking their tires with an actual gauge. Now I know to check mine every time I get it back home.