Tow Vehicle - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #31

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Tacoma towing bible https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...ng-bible.4031/

Larger Transmission cooler https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...am-pic.324202/

Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags for reducing bounce even with an Andersen hitch https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...7#post-9320901

Scangauge will monitor temps and such https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...ngauge.287255/

I tow a 19' with a 2011 4x4 Dbl Cab v6 Tacoma no worries going through short grade hills and such , I will do a better test to of hill towing in August of this year going to Maine. I use a Prodigy 2 brake controller and it all works well together.

Cypher
Cypher thank you for the reply... Do you have the factory tow pkg on your Taco?

Would look forward to hearing how things continue to go...

Cary
Houston, Tx.

clindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #32

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clindley View Post
Do you have the factory tow pkg on your Taco?

Would look forward to hearing how things continue to go...

Cary
Houston, Tx.
Cary,
This is the first time I can say this - because today is the conclusion of our first road trip with our brand new '21 and my 2014 Tacoma V6/manual transmission/tow pkg./off-road pkg.

So, after 1600 miles from Chilliwack (ETI world headquarters) to Denver, CO, the quick conclusion is: No safety concerns arose, managed at least 55 MPH on any Interstate uphill, averaged about 65 MPH on the flats, got about 12.5 MPG, +/- 1.5 depending on headwinds and grade.

Personal opinion - the manual transmission was a blessing.

Next big test - Georgetown hill - 7% grade - at 10000'. (More or less, going from hazy recollections.)

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:24 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Yes factory tow package and the Tsb add a leaf for the 2011's and mine is an automatic.

Cypher
Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 PM   #34

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Cary,
This is the first time I can say this - because today is the conclusion of our first road trip with our brand new '21 and my 2014 Tacoma V6/manual transmission/tow pkg./off-road pkg.

So, after 1600 miles from Chilliwack (ETI world headquarters) to Denver, CO, the quick conclusion is: No safety concerns arose, managed at least 55 MPH on any Interstate uphill, averaged about 65 MPH on the flats, got about 12.5 MPG, +/- 1.5 depending on headwinds and grade.

Personal opinion - the manual transmission was a blessing.

Next big test - Georgetown hill - 7% grade - at 10000'. (More or less, going from hazy recollections.)
Thank you so much Alan.. I have an automatic transmission, but can still use the manual portion of gears that it offers.. I really appreciate the input.. I may still go with the 19' but would love the 21'. I plan to live in it full time for about 5 yrs, as I travel the US. I plan to sell my home, and hit the road in the next couple of years... The Escape travel trailer is the best thing I have seen out there for what I want to do.. If you have time, send some pics or post them online. Thank you so much for all the help... Cary
clindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
cubic inches & hp

The new small cube motors do develop more HP with superchargers or turbos but lack the advantage of the big blocks. That is larger crank and rod bearings to carry the load. For a specific trailer weight the load will be applied to less bearing surface in a small block than in a big block. Less load per cubic inch will probably give you longer engine life. The big blocks usually get a stronger transmission from the manufacture too. For myself, I would rather work a big motor easy than a small one hard.
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
James,
That is/was my thinking exactly when I decided to replace my v-8 Hemi with another one versus a smaller v-6 turbo model. With the newer transmission and rear end gearing I was able to almost match the mpg number of the smaller turbo diesel.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:26 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
This spring I was also comparing rear ends with my friend's Chevy Silverado. He has the 3.42 rear end and turns 250 rpm less than I do with my 3.73. This is at 70 mph. As for gears, towing, and speed, I'm just going to have to play with it and find that sweet spot. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The lower gearing reduces your total towing capability, which is a moot point with an Escape, but also gives somewhat better efficiency.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:26 AM   #39

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The lower gearing reduces your total towing capability, which is a moot point with an Escape, but also gives somewhat better efficiency.
If i can get 15mpg cdn towing the 5.0ta at 60 mph then i will be happy.
towed the old 5.0sa with 3.42 and 5.3l with 6spd but only towed in5th gear with 6th gear locked out and always got 16 to 18 mpg cdn.

KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote