Towing with Ford F-150 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #81

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
We use it most of the time with good results. Really like it going up and down mountain passes.
I have noticed when used with cruise control the 2 features seem to fight over who gets to slow the vehicle down, especially noticeable when going down an off ramp on a larger highway. Then a quick tap on the brake will disengage the CC.
HarleyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #82

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Aren’t you concerned that your fuel mileage may decline by up to .02 MPG ?
🤔 nah, .3 now that would be a concern!
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Given the drop is a way more due to towing or hauling, I imagine proper gearing for loads might see a wee decrease in fuel consumption.

Either way, I like the benefit it provides, was very used to using it with the Super Duty Fords I have owned.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #84
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Automatics mainly heat up when there's a heavy load on the torque converter such that the input vs output speeds differ significantly. as long as the TC is locked up, they should stay quite cool, as gears by themselves don't generate much heat. Now traditional automatics, typically only would lock the TC in the highest gear or two, and then only when the input-vs-output RPMs were close to matched.... Like on my 2002 F250 diesel with the old 4R100 4-speed (3+OD), the TC only locks in 3rd and 4th/OD, and even then only when under light throttle.... so for example heavy load or two, in OD, hit a grade, heavy throttle, RPMs aren't keeping up, so tranny drops to third, as long as you stay on the throttle to maintain your speed, the TC won't lock, so I'll be turning close to 3000 RPM (big diesel, thats a lot of RPM when the redline is 3500). if I momentarily back off on the thorttle, the TC will lock up and it will be around 2200 RPM at the same speed, where the engine AND the transmission is much happier. now, if I anticipate that grade, and manually drop it out of OD before I have to get on the throttle, it will drop to 3rd and leave the TC locked, much happier.

The new Ford 10 speeds are, as I understand it, nearly ALWAYS in TC lockup, the only time they unlock is at a full stop. they manage the very close-ratio shifts via engine management rather than TC lockup, eg, the PCM (powertrain control module) will drop the torque for the moment it shifts the tranmsiission so it slips into the new gear with the TC still locked). very clever system.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #85

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Do you use tow/haul mode?
I have a 2015 5150 with 6 speed, 3.5 ecoboost , and 3.55 rear axle. I usually forget to turn the tow mode on until I am going down hill and I want the engine help slow me down. Don't seem to notice it until I hit a steep decline, when going uphill, very seldom think of it.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #86

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Tow/Haul does reduce fuel efficiency, but by how much, I can’t say. Towing the 5.0TA, I don’t see the difference in performance that Jim Bennett has described, but then again, I live in the flatlands. I can see where it would make a difference with extremely heavy loads, even in Florida. As previously stated, if I am about to start a steep descent, I activate the Tow/Haul mode because it downshifts quicker. My 2020 F-150 has 5 modes or shifting profiles. While I tend to drive unattached in the Eco mode, the profile that I really notice a performance difference is the Sport mode. That, too, is less fuel efficient but it certainly adds a bit of zip when you put the pedal to the metal.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:11 PM   #87

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i always use tow haul when towing
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #88

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We use ECO mode towing and drive at 62 so when it goes to 67 down a hill and 58 up it gets better gas mileage. It also eliminates most needless up/down-shifting.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #89

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
I just purchased a 2020 F-150 to tow my "on order" 21C. I told the Ford dealer I want the truck for one purpose; TOWING. My F-150XLT 4x4 has the 3.5 Echo Boost engine, the Max Tow Package, Reverse Sensing, and other options not pertinent to this thread. My F-150 has a max tow capacity of 12,500lbs as configured. I may get a bigger trailer some day, which is why I purchased my F-150 configured as I did. If you look in the Owner's Manual or the color brochure on the F-150 that Ford dealers should have, you will see charts on different truck configurations and towing capacity. Towing capacities range from 5100lbs to 13,200 lbs. My local Ford dealer had 59 F-150XLT's on their lot. I don't know how many of the other trim lines. I couldn't find one XLT that was configured exactly as I wanted, so I had to compromise on options. My advice is do your research based upon your needs and what's available, unless you want to order an F-150 from the factory. That's what I did.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #90

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Are you happy with the truck? Are you happy with how it tows?

I intend to buy a Escape 5.0 5th wheel, and want to plan for someday a bigger trailer. My plan is a F-150, 3.5 EcoBoost, 3.73 electronic locking axle, 4 wheel drive, with Max Tow Package, Reverse Sensing, integrated trailer brake, and anything else that helps with towing.
hlrosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:05 PM   #91

Trailer: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Ford no longer offers a heavy duty payload package on the F-150.
Ford does offer the Heavy Duty Payload Package for the 2021 models. But only for the Ecoboost 3.5 or 5.0 V8. Not available apparently on the 2.7 Ecoboost.
Anyone ordering a truck with the 3.5 or the 5.0 should order the HDPP without batting an eye. Tell your salesperson to include Option Code 627 when ordering.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrosenberger View Post
Are you happy with the truck? Are you happy with how it tows?

I intend to buy a Escape 5.0 5th wheel, and want to plan for someday a bigger trailer. My plan is a F-150, 3.5 EcoBoost, 3.73 electronic locking axle, 4 wheel drive, with Max Tow Package, Reverse Sensing, integrated trailer brake, and anything else that helps with towing.
I don't get my 21C until December so I don't know how the F-150 tows. The 21C is 4000lbs empty. I'm assuming when towing with the F-150 I won't even know the 21C is back there. I've had the truck since last Saturday. I now have 203 miles on it. I picked the Ford over Ram and Chevy based upon friends who are experienced in towing, and one friend owned a repair shop where he's seen different trucks. He drives a Ford! However, Ram is rated #1 by Edmonds. The Max Tow Package includes the Integrated Trailer Brake, Pro Trailer Backup Assist, and 36gal fuel tank. 3.55 Electronic Lock Rear Axle is standard. The other options that were on the truck were Voice-Activated Navigation (I don't really need it), Remote Start (service is free on Ford's phone app), XLT Power Equipment Group, and XLT Sport Appearance Package. I wanted the BLIS, however that option would have significantly decreased the discounts on the truck by a couple thousand dollars. I couldn't understand why a $590 option would make me loose thousands in discounts. I figured I'm going to look out the side mirrors when towing so why do I need to loose thousands in discounts for a "driving aide".

I was not aware that Ford recommends 91 octane gas. People will probably tell you "mine runs fine on 87 octane." Requiring 91 octane would not have stopped me from buying the truck. I will put 91 octane in it. I also believe in proper engine break-in period. It's 1000 miles at no high speed, varying speeds, and no towing.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
Ford does offer the Heavy Duty Payload Package for the 2021 models. But only for the Ecoboost 3.5 or 5.0 V8. Not available apparently on the 2.7 Ecoboost.
Anyone ordering a truck with the 3.5 or the 5.0 should order the HDPP without batting an eye. Tell your salesperson to include Option Code 627 when ordering.
Well, then they have changed options again because I have a new 2020 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost, not the 2.7, and it was specially ordered and when I asked for the Heavy Duty Payload Package I was told that Ford no longer offers the package on the F-150. That was last February (7 months ago). And from what I have been told, Ford changed the V-8 in 2018 and the revised engine is problematic.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #94

Trust But Verify

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Well, then they have changed options again because I have a new 2020 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost, not the 2.7, and it was specially ordered and when I asked for the Heavy Duty Payload Package I was told that Ford no longer offers the package on the F-150. That was last February (7 months ago). And from what I have been told, Ford changed the V-8 in 2018 and the revised engine is problematic.
I have been in the "Aviation Profession" for 50 years; some of that time in aircraft and engine quality assurance. We have a saying: Trust But Verify. I really appreciate all the advice and opinions I've received on this forum; however I trust what I'm told, but I verify the information from different, and what I believe are reputable sources. What usually happens is the information provided on this forum is very accurate.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #95

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
We use it most of the time with good results. Really like it going up and down mountain passes.
I have noticed when used with cruise control the 2 features seem to fight over who gets to slow the vehicle down, especially noticeable when going down an off ramp on a larger highway. Then a quick tap on the brake will disengage the CC.
I would not recommend using cruise control while towing particularly if your tow also has a "tow mode" for transmission and downshifting.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlakeman View Post
I have been in the "Aviation Profession" for 50 years; some of that time in aircraft and engine quality assurance. We have a saying: Trust But Verify. I really appreciate all the advice and opinions I've received on this forum; however I trust what I'm told, but I verify the information from different, and what I believe are reputable sources. What usually happens is the information provided on this forum is very accurate.
When you “verify” whether or not Ford still offers the Heavy Duty Payload Package please post what you discover, because I was told, as I stated, less than a year ago that it was no longer offered. And it was when I was replacing my 2015 F-150 that was fried by EMP from a nearby lightning strike. They DO offer a heavy duty towing package. I was told if I wanted more payload I would have to get an F-250 (Super Duty).
Old 09-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #97

We had a 5.0 fifth wheel. Loved it, easy to hook up in less than 3 minutes. As for towing - an F150 will not work. The sides are too high. We had a 2010 Escape 5.0 and even back then - all the F150’s, even older models wouldn’t work because the sides of the truck bed were too high. We had a Nissan Frontier and that worked great. The person who purchased our Escape had the diesel Colorado that worked (small truck), and also aTacoma. We choose the Nissan over the Tacoma b/c it had more torque. We looked at ALL and ANY full size trucks and none would work on the 5.0.
Bethadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrosenberger View Post
Do any tow the 5th wheel Escape 5.0 with a Ford F-150? if so, how does it do? Do you get much bouncing, or is the Ford F-150 suspension sufficient?

Thanks

Harold
HLRosenberger - We had a 5.0 fifth wheel. Loved it, easy to hook up in less than 3 minutes. As for towing - an F150 will not work. The sides are too high. We had a 2010 Escape 5.0 and even back then - all the F150’s, even older models wouldn’t work because the sides of the truck bed were too high. We had a Nissan Frontier and that worked great. The person who purchased our Escape had the diesel Colorado that worked (small truck), and also aTacoma. We choose the Nissan over the Tacoma b/c it had more torque. We looked at ALL and ANY full size trucks and none would work on the 5.0.
Bethadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #99
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethadrine View Post
We had a 5.0 fifth wheel. Loved it, easy to hook up in less than 3 minutes. As for towing - an F150 will not work. The sides are too high. We had a 2010 Escape 5.0 and even back then - all the F150’s, even older models wouldn’t work because the sides of the truck bed were too high. We had a Nissan Frontier and that worked great. The person who purchased our Escape had the diesel Colorado that worked (small truck), and also aTacoma. We choose the Nissan over the Tacoma b/c it had more torque. We looked at ALL and ANY full size trucks and none would work on the 5.0.
Huh? Do you have any idea how many 5.0 & 5.0TA owners are here that tow with a F-150? I'm just one and mine is a 4x4 too. My 5.0TA doesn't have a high-lift axle either.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumas_FirstHook.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #100

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Ditto.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5747.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	50387

2018 F150. 3.5 Eccoboost, Max Tow Package, Platinum Edition (I like my comfort [emoji6]). I have not weighed it but I have only about 1/2 to 1 inch squat when hooked up. We get about 13.5 to 15 MPG depending on conditions. I love the way it tows. It’s very comfortable and stable.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape 5.0, f-150