Camping in Manitoba? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
rvomaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Posts: 238
Camping in Manitoba?

Yesterday we came across our U.S. passports and are surprised to learn that they are valid for five more years. This stimulates an interest in camping in Canada. The closest province to us would be a drive straight north to Manitoba. We haven't begun our research on what's available there, and thought this forum might give us a jump start. Where do you like to camp in Manitoba?
__________________

__________________
2012 Escape 19 towed by 2012 Ford Flex
See lots more about our Escape at http://kibitka.blogspot.com/
rvomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Hertel, Wisconsin
Trailer: TBD
Posts: 2,108
If you like to fish try Moose Lake provincial Park near Spraque.
The park borders Lake of the Woods.
__________________

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Dave Walter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Posts: 2,288
Manitoba is a beautiful province with many camping opportunities. However, If you do decide to summer camp in Manitoba, be aware that they have mosquitos the size of small birds that are fully capable of sucking the entire blood supply from a small child. Bring mosquito repellent.
__________________
2013 19' \ 2013 15B, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Hertel, Wisconsin
Trailer: TBD
Posts: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Manitoba is a beautiful province with many camping opportunities. However, If you do decide to summer camp in Manitoba, be aware that they have mosquitos the size of small birds that are fully capable of sucking the entire blood supply from a small child. Bring mosquito repellent.
Along with may flies , black flies and no seeums.
Still a great place to visit . The Canadian people are
extremely nice and welcoming even the Canadian Border
Patrol is friendly.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
rvomaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If you like to fish try Moose Lake provincial Park near Spraque.
The park borders Lake of the Woods.
We don't fish. We enjoy scenery and historic or cultural sights.
__________________
2012 Escape 19 towed by 2012 Ford Flex
See lots more about our Escape at http://kibitka.blogspot.com/
rvomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
rvomaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Manitoba is a beautiful province with many camping opportunities. However, If you do decide to summer camp in Manitoba, be aware that they have mosquitos the size of small birds that are fully capable of sucking the entire blood supply from a small child. Bring mosquito repellent.
Ooh, the bugs sound ferocious! Are there some good months that aren't below freezing that are less buggy?
__________________
2012 Escape 19 towed by 2012 Ford Flex
See lots more about our Escape at http://kibitka.blogspot.com/
rvomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 735
Most of the areas in Canada plagued by insects have a few weeks a year between freezing temperatures and bugs, but timing it in advance is usually impossible -- the bug-free seasons vary from year to year by more weeks than they typically last.
__________________
Doug

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 1,231
Liz and Jay

Ignore the comments about the mosquitos being large, they are just bothersome, and black flies - they are gone when the hot weather hits, and we can get plenty of hot weather in July and August often in the eighties and into the nineties sometimes

Birds Hill Provincial Park is not the greatest for camping but if you want to explore the sights of Winnipeg, great museum, lots of history, Lower Fort Garry, the park is just north of the city.

Riding Mountain National Park is further away but beautiful, earlier this month Clear Lake there froze solid without any snow on it a few weeks ago and you could skate for miles. Of course you won't be doing that in the summer

We would be glad to show you the sites, we are not far from Winnipeg, in fact we are right at the border at the end of I29, cross the border and you are in our town, you'd be welcome to boondock chez nous! Just PM me if interested.

Adrian

p.s. last January we enjoyed a visit to Omaha, your zoo is wonderful! We are through Council Bluffs regularly as our daughter and granddaughter are at Fort Leavenworth.
emers382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia
Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Posts: 159
This is on our bucket list for Spring camping just north of Winnipeg.


Narcisse Snake Pits


http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wi...mon/narsnakes/


A sample of the action:



Enjoy,
Peter H.
"Eggie Sue"
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
This is on our bucket list for Spring camping just north of Winnipeg.


Narcisse Snake Pits


Wildlife Branch | Conservation and Water Stewardship | Province of Manitoba


A sample of the action:



Enjoy,
Peter H.
"Eggie Sue"
Now that to me would be an interesting attraction. Snakes have fascinated me for many years. When I was Parks Superintendent in Cedar Rapids I worked with the Nature Center director to build a hibernaculum which was pretty successful. We built two but one was a little to close to the water table and never caught on. I need to look up a friend who lives in extreme northern Montana across the Manitoba border. Maybe I'll get up that way this year.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
rvomaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Posts: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Liz and Jay

Ignore the comments about the mosquitos being large, they are just bothersome, and black flies - they are gone when the hot weather hits, and we can get plenty of hot weather in July and August often in the eighties and into the nineties sometimes

Birds Hill Provincial Park is not the greatest for camping but if you want to explore the sights of Winnipeg, great museum, lots of history, Lower Fort Garry, the park is just north of the city.

Riding Mountain National Park is further away but beautiful, earlier this month Clear Lake there froze solid without any snow on it a few weeks ago and you could skate for miles. Of course you won't be doing that in the summer

We would be glad to show you the sites, we are not far from Winnipeg, in fact we are right at the border at the end of I29, cross the border and you are in our town, you'd be welcome to boondock chez nous! Just PM me if interested.

Adrian

p.s. last January we enjoyed a visit to Omaha, your zoo is wonderful! We are through Council Bluffs regularly as our daughter and granddaughter are at Fort Leavenworth.
Nice offer, Adrian, and thanks for the suggestions. We will be in touch when we get our plans moving along. We're so glad you got to visit our zoo! It is considered world-class, and no year goes by without some major renovation, always making it better and better.
__________________
2012 Escape 19 towed by 2012 Ford Flex
See lots more about our Escape at http://kibitka.blogspot.com/
rvomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Parksville, British Columbia
Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Posts: 31
I suggest Riding Mountain National Park. Reservations go online January 19. Check out
pc.gc.ca
Tom W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Now that to me would be an interesting attraction. Snakes have fascinated me for many years. When I was Parks Superintendent in Cedar Rapids I worked with the Nature Center director to build a hibernaculum which was pretty successful. We built two but one was a little to close to the water table and never caught on. I need to look up a friend who lives in extreme northern Montana across the Manitoba border. Maybe I'll get up that way this year.
Dave
Hi Dave

It would be nice to see you if you come up this way, but Montana and Manitoba do not touch, MB is beside MN and ND, across the border from Montana is BC, AB and SK.

Happy New Year, Adrian
emers382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
AK snowbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral & Mt Baker foothills, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi Dave

It would be nice to see you if you come up this way, but Montana and Manitoba do not touch, MB is beside MN and ND, across the border from Montana is BC, AB and SK.

Happy New Year, Adrian
For kicks and giggles I was planning a trip on roads less traveled back east to visit my wife’s family in Ontario and my family in Ohio when I stumbled upon Uranium City on the northern shore of Lake Athabasca, fascinating history. Crap, now I want to buy and outfit a Jeep Rubicon for a trip on the winter road for a visit. Scott

Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,280
Alpha Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi Dave

It would be nice to see you if you come up this way, but Montana and Manitoba do not touch, MB is beside MN and ND, across the border from Montana is BC, AB and SK.

Happy New Year, Adrian
Adrian,
Being an Alpha Male Coyote and not caring much for road maps ( Rita wraps my sandwiches in them, do you think she's trying to tell me something?) , I am really only a trailer pulling chauffeur and Rita is the tour director. I was hunting garter snakes the day they taught Canadian geography. So that's my excuse for not knowing where I am at or going most of the time. I'd like to get up your way this year and see you and Beth. I hope you have a wonderful 2016. Keep in touch, we will, I promise.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
For kicks and giggles I was planning a trip on roads less traveled back east to visit my wife’s family in Ontario and my family in Ohio when I stumbled upon Uranium City on the northern shore of Lake Athabasca, fascinating history. Crap, now I want to buy and outfit a Jeep Rubicon for a trip on the winter road for a visit. Scott
Wow, that would be a trip!

While the ice road would be interesting, it might make more sense to take a barge from Stony Rapids (the end of the all-weather highway) to Uranium City, if only because that would mean visiting (and driving the highways) in the summer instead of mid-winter. I have no idea of the cost, or even what company might operate the barge, but they could even take the whole tug and Escape rig.


Fortunately, there are lots of interesting places which are more accessible!
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×