Winter Camping -- curious about your experiences/campground availability - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #11

Re: Winter Camping -- curious about your experiences/campground availability

Well winter camping on the Coast of California is pretty easy.. If you head to the mountains (Tahoe), where there's real snow chains are required for your tow vehicle and I believe the Camper as well. Right now the weather is just outstanding in the SF Bay Area and probably stay that way until mid February!

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
We were in out 17 b two nights ago in Vermont where temps reached -23 F. Can you say frost on the windows?

yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:35 AM   #13

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Where did you spend the night? thought everything would be closed .
Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Last week we took 3-4 days and our 19 to Burney Falls, CA. It's a California state park between Mt. Shasta and Lassen NP, about 3500 ft elevation. The weather has been so nice we decided to give it a try. It was very enjoyable with day temps in the 50s(F) and night in the 20s(F). The campground is open all year, but the majority of the loops were closed for winter. No hookups but they had hot coin op showers. During our stay we were the only campers there, which was nice. For winter camping be sure to check what's open.

The furnace got a good workout. For these conditions we found we could camp 3 to 4 days before the battery needed attention. The site was in the trees and the 100w solar panel couldn't keep up with the use. Currently we have one deep cycle 12V battery. We have the extra insulation and insulating windows but not the underside foam.

There was more condensation inside than we expected, but with two people and two large dogs I suppose it's normal. The fourth night we stayed at an RV park in Weed CA. That night we ran an electric heater and kept the overhead fan running on low. No problem that night, electricity in amazing.

Night time temps in the 20s(F), and warm daytime, we didn't worry about the tanks freezing. Camping when the temps stay below freezing I would be concerned. The idea of keeping the trailer winterized is feasible but negates many of the trailers features (sink, toilet, etc). For us this would be a pain as we don't winterize.

The propane/CO sensor started to complain, several times, for no good reason. But I, and a pair of wire cutters, had a short talk with it. Haven't heard a peep from it since.

I suspect in the future we'll use Shasta for cold weather camping. No bathroom but the water tank is inside, won't freeze, and it has better insulation that our 19.

I've also not towed on snowy or icy roads. Done a lot of driving on these, but not towing. I think I'll avoid this, which will be our limit for winter camping. Leaving a few extra days to sit out storms is a good idea, or take short trips where the forecast is reasonably accurate.

We read a couple of books rather than movies. But some form of inside entertainment is needed.

We'll be out again, it was a good trip.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I think if you had the foam tank spray then you could use you water in the winter was long as you keep your heat on.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Last week we took 3-4 days and our 19 to Burney Falls, CA. It's a California state park between Mt. Shasta and Lassen NP, about 3500 ft elevation. The weather has been so nice we decided to give it a try. It was very enjoyable with day temps in the 50s(F) and night in the 20s(F). The campground is open all year, but the majority of the loops were closed for winter. No hookups but they had hot coin op showers. During our stay we were the only campers there, which was nice. For winter camping be sure to check what's open.

The furnace got a good workout. For these conditions we found we could camp 3 to 4 days before the battery needed attention. The site was in the trees and the 100w solar panel couldn't keep up with the use. Currently we have one deep cycle 12V battery. We have the extra insulation and insulating windows but not the underside foam.

There was more condensation inside than we expected, but with two people and two large dogs I suppose it's normal. The fourth night we stayed at an RV park in Weed CA. That night we ran an electric heater and kept the overhead fan running on low. No problem that night, electricity in amazing.

Night time temps in the 20s(F), and warm daytime, we didn't worry about the tanks freezing. Camping when the temps stay below freezing I would be concerned. The idea of keeping the trailer winterized is feasible but negates many of the trailers features (sink, toilet, etc). For us this would be a pain as we don't winterize.

The propane/CO sensor started to complain, several times, for no good reason. But I, and a pair of wire cutters, had a short talk with it. Haven't heard a peep from it since.

I suspect in the future we'll use Shasta for cold weather camping. No bathroom but the water tank is inside, won't freeze, and it has better insulation that our 19.

I've also not towed on snowy or icy roads. Done a lot of driving on these, but not towing. I think I'll avoid this, which will be our limit for winter camping. Leaving a few extra days to sit out storms is a good idea, or take short trips where the forecast is reasonably accurate.

We read a couple of books rather than movies. But some form of inside entertainment is needed.

We'll be out again, it was a good trip.
Nice report; will remember to bring my wire cutters Had same problem in the 17B- PITA Love MacArthur Burney Falls campground.

Was going to go skiing at Brian Head, UT- but looked at the month forecast and the area from Zion up to Arches and down to Capitol Reef looks really good weather-wise for the next 2 weeks. Canceled the plane ticket and loaded the trailer. Lot of work-eh? I'm pooped but am glad to be heading out bright & early tomorrow. Always stow some ski jackets we bought at a fundraiser in Mammoth last October on our way home from ChilliW just in case.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I went to Jasper National park A couple of weeks ago, This was my first real winter camping experience with either Escape trailer that we have owned. I did not use any of the water or plumbing in the trailer, it is winterized and I left it that way. We stayed in Wapiti campground and had electrical hook ups, there are really nice heated full service washrooms there. It was about -10C over night each night. Used a 1500 W space heater to avoid the condensation from the propane furnace. The only condensation issue I had was in the over head storage compartments, in the future I will just leave them open and either empty or lightly packed. The only real issue we had was the propane regulator froze up and I had to pour warm water over it both mornings to get it flowing. I am going to replace the regulator and hope that solves that issue. All in all I we had a great weekend of snow shoeing and a lot of fun. Beats the heck out of a hotel room.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Might as well use the electric for heat if you have it, but I don't think using propane has anything to do with condensation. The furnace draws and vents to the outside so nothing but heat enters the trailer.
Only ways to avoid condensation are ventilation and to stop breathing.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Had no condensation with one person and propane and electric heat. Fan vent open in bathroomt. Two people and only one electric heater w minimal venting gave slight condensation.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:41 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Air movement is the key to keeping condensation to a minimum. Open your over head MaxxFan a little and your kitchen window a little and your window blinds up will keep the wetness down.
As Glenn correctly pointed out, it is not the type of heat but the breathing inside causing the issue. By circulating and exchanging that air you will be fine.