Camping in Snow - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2023, 12:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA - 2016 Toyota Tundra '1794'
Send a message via Skype™ to SterJen
Camping in Snow

I plan on skiing a bunch this year in Tahoe (California Sierra Mtns.). I have a 2017 5.0 which does not have the optional winter protection. What precautions should I take to ensure I don't break something?
Old 12-14-2023, 12:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Keep your trailer winterized, no water in the fresh tank. Bring jugs of water for water use and for flushing the toilet.

The black tank is inside the trailer so it's ok but your dump valves are vulnerable so dump a full gallon of RV antifreeze into the black and grey tanks when they are empty before you go. The grey tank still might freeze up a bit but with just a bit of water and the RV antifreeze it will be ok. If you are worried you can keep it empty and just use a dish pan and throw dirty water outside.

Sponge baths no showers.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 12:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterJen View Post
I plan on skiing a bunch this year in Tahoe (California Sierra Mtns.). I have a 2017 5.0 which does not have the optional winter protection. What precautions should I take to ensure I don't break something?
Assuming you will be in below freezing conditions and you do not have lithium batteries and you will not have electrical hookup. For starters, don't plan on using any plumbing in the trailer. Make sure your lines are clear of water by either blowing them out or having anti-freeze in them. Make sure you have plenty propane to run your heater continuously. Your 5.0 is basically going to be a big, fiberglass tent with a heater, lights and a comfy bed.

We have done this before, just keep the trailer warm even when you are away. We use collapsible tubs to catch water and use water jugs stored in the steps for our water supply. We have a compost toilet so that helps not needing a black tank.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 01:01 PM   #4

Dan & Daphne, Great suggestions. I won't need to store any liquid in the trailer, so should be okay.

Thank you for your input.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:05 PM   #5

SageRPod, Will 40 degrees be warm enough to keep the cab safe? Water storage using tubs etc. is no problem. The longest I'll be at a the resort is 2 days/nights.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Old 12-14-2023, 01:34 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterJen View Post
SageRPod, Will 40 degrees be warm enough to keep the cab safe? Water storage using tubs etc. is no problem. The longest I'll be at a the resort is 2 days/nights.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Yep, 40 degrees is good and will help manage propane usage. Something I forgot to mention is condensation management. You will probably build more condensation given the lower temps. We keep the Max Fan hood open a smidge and a dinette window cracked as well to keep air flowing through the camper.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 08:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
Keep your trailer winterized, no water in the fresh tank. Bring jugs of water for water use and for flushing the toilet.

The black tank is inside the trailer so it's ok but your dump valves are vulnerable so dump a full gallon of RV antifreeze into the black and grey tanks when they are empty before you go.
One trick I did when skiing when already winterized was to open the winterizing tee valve and stick the tube in a gallon of antifreeze. Turn on the water pump and you are now flushing the toilet with antifreeze so your mixture will not freeze out at the dump valves. Of course you need an appropriate place to dump the tank. For us it wasn’t much and only #1 so it was simply siphoned off at home and dumped down the toilet into municipal sewer system.
Old 12-15-2023, 08:11 AM   #8

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Yep, 40 degrees is good and will help manage propane usage. Something I forgot to mention is condensation management. You will probably build more condensation given the lower temps. We keep the Max Fan hood open a smidge and a dinette window cracked as well to keep air flowing through the camper.

We camp in below freezing easily 20 times a year. With our MaxxFan open a crack and running at the lowest speed, we never had moisture on our windows. We removed the cooktop hood, and still boiled water for coffee with no issues. Like you said "keep air flowing through the camper.

We pour a 1/2 gallon of water in the black tank and then flush with a bottle of water. Once we put water in our system we make sure to keep the inside temps 45-50° F. We've been doing this since I retired in 2015 with no issues with our Escape, 2 Bigfoots, and a Cougar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
One trick I did when skiing when already winterized was to open the winterizing tee valve and stick the tube in a gallon of antifreeze. Turn on the water pump and you are now flushing the toilet with antifreeze so your mixture will not freeze out at the dump valves. Of course you need an appropriate place to dump the tank. For us it wasn’t much and only #1 so it was simply siphoned off at home and dumped down the toilet into municipal sewer system.
Great idea ! ! !

Enjoy,

Perry

Tags
snow