How To Winterize a Trailer - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #91

Trailer: 10' Taylor Coach (sold)
I'd agree, the battery tender draws no amps and monitors the battery charge.
Since I've used them for my motorcycles I've not had to replace a battery for years.
Prior to this the battery came out of the bike etc. etc. and charging them once or twice a winter just didn't do it.
I'll try a tender...
Duer

Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:44 PM   #92

Trailer: 1995 VW Eurovan Winebago
There a lot of great winterizing tips here though I think it would also be better if you check for any drafty windows in your trailer as they can bring in a lot of unwanted cold winds into the trailer.Here is a blog that mentions some tips to check and fix drafty windows

lausway88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #93

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
. . . I think the best way to winterize a trailer is to take it and yourselves down very far south in the US and stay there until spring. Loren
Like the year we (pre-Escape) flew to Vegas, rented a camper van, and spent from mid-Dec to mid-Jan mostly around Tucson, and had frost on the inside of the camper windows on 22 out of 28 mornings!

Anyway, we've had a few frosty nights here and I figured it's high time I winterized -- sooo glad this thread is pinned! We were lucky last winter, I never got a round tuit.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #94
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Here you go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg th.jpeg (16.1 KB, 205 views)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #95

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
Thank you! One can never have enough of these!

Between your gift, and the threat of -7C overnight temps in a few days, Tumbleweed has been properly winterized & put to bed. Bwaahh! The good news is, it's easy enough to undo!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #96
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This is a really old thread, but thought new owners could use the information Reace posted on the first page.

BUT, I have a question about the water pump. I don't have the optional winterizing valve. Shoulda had ETI install it when I was there in August! Dang.

Anyway, I'll be using the outside city water fill port with a hand pump. Just like I've done every year. This is the first year I've used the fresh water tank. I don't want to add anti-freeze to the tank. I know how to use the by-pass valves.

In the first post, Reace says to run the water pump for 30 seconds, but that's when winterizing with compressed air.

IF I run the water pump for 30 seconds, will that be sufficient to drain the pump and protect it from freezing? And yes, I know to do this before adding anti-freeze to the lines.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:59 AM   #97

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Winterizing

Hi Donna
Running the pump for 30 seconds on an empty supply fresh water tank was adequate for our 2013 21 ft Escape when I did that last year. I have used the same process (hand pump) again this year. I am however going to access the water pump before it gets real cold here and remove the filter cap to make sure I don’t have any fresh water perched in there that might have somehow collected after I ran the pump dry.
I do not have the winterizing T valve on the 21 like I installed on the 19. It worked great too. The Camco pump method is pretty economical I must say. I only used about a gallon and a quart to push antifreeze through all ports, the toilet, and to dump into grey tank through shower floor drain.
It gets to -20 F here every winter and our building is unheated so it’s gotta be right. Our 21 is one of the real early ones with the low point drains too. I use them to get a lot of the water out of the lines and make sure to flush the toilet under antifreeze pressure to displace perched water too. Also here’s how I get a thorough drain on my grey and black tanks after they have been drained at the dump station, and fresh water has been added back in to slosh around and clean the probes and pick up any soap scum etc.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #98
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks for responding Dave. The hand pump has worked well the past four years. It was just the water pump I'm concerned about. The 30 second run and removing the filter cap too sounds like a good idea

THANKS again!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote