Necessity to drain fresh water - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2018, 08:19 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
For us, the combination of; keeping our system very clean with frequent sanitation; never putting any water into our fresh tank without running it thru one of the hose mount RV carbon filters; and then running all the water we drink thru a simple PUR filter pitcher, has always given us good tasting water.

But maybe we have very unsophisticated pallets.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #62

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
For us, the combination of; keeping our system very clean with frequent sanitation; never putting any water into our fresh tank without running it thru one of the hose mount RV carbon filters; and then running all the water we drink thru a simple PUR filter pitcher, has always given us good tasting water.

But maybe we have very unsophisticated pallets.
I’d probably poison myself in a short time.
However under the watchful eye of my camping partner, I’m a System sanitizing, water filtering, fresh load as often as possible, bottled water buying, hand washing, glove wearing Clorox wiping, Fool. And it has all paid off I think in neither of us ever having a stomach ailment while camping from the wilderness hiking days in the Selway Bitteroot Wilderness to the luxury of Escape camping now. Remember the Halazone tablets, man drinking that water put hair on my chest and all over my body. I was never so happy for a cold beer coming off a hike as those days. When we worked as lookouts, we found seeps and springs and filled 10 gallon milk cans. As the summer progressed, we went to higher elevations to stay ahead of the free range cattle. Guess we didn’t think the Elk, moose, bear and deer could poison the water. With plastic bottled water being an extremely small expense of the overall camping experience, we buy it when it’s on sale locally and I take about a case, maybe two if out longer, we drink it, the dog drinks it and we cook with it. When I run low, I buy more. Though some question the long term consequences I’m also a big believer in antibacterial soap. I ate a lot of dirt as a kid and I had think it gave me an immune system that’s not available these days at any cost.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-29-2018, 01:29 PM   #63

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Is the Berkey large? Where do you put it?
It turns out that the travel version barely fits in the corner at the top of the sink. It does intersect with the raised corner of the sink, but I use 2 rubber washers (the ones that came with the berkey system to prime the filters, I have 2 of them), to prop up the base, and it turns out they are just the right width to make it level. And an added bonus, the extendable kitchen sink faucet does just barely reach over the top, so it is easy refilling. I will take a picture of this and post.
I have 2 of the washers because we have also have a big berkey in our home kitchen, but really any rubber spacers will, they just need to be equal width and roughly the width of the sink overhang on the counter. Again a picture will tell a thousand words and I will post.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Wow your filter ACTUALLY makes safe drinking water. How much does it make and how fast?
It will fill up the reservoir from empty in about a half hour. It is a slow drip because of the filters, they are very efficient but slow. From empty, you maybe have to wait 5 minutes for that glass of water you wanted, but we usually don't let it get completely empty. You can tell it's running low based on the water flow.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #65

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
It will fill up the reservoir from empty in about a half hour. It is a slow drip because of the filters, they are very efficient but slow. From empty, you maybe have to wait 5 minutes for that glass of water you wanted, but we usually don't let it get completely empty. You can tell it's running low based on the water flow.
Very interested in pictures of your setup . Right now we have a Dolphin pump on a 3 gal bottom that we filled at home from the distiller . I cut the table at the door about in half water sits permanently there by the door . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #66

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
One thing I'll say about Big Berkley - they are aggressive advertisers! I googled them this morning to check out their products, and they have since peppered me with non-stop promotionals regardless of where I am on the Internet. Three of their ads have popped up on this web page as I sit here typing this forum post!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
One thing I'll say about Big Berkley - they are aggressive advertisers!
Do they sell anything that filters ads?
Old 03-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Do they sell anything that filters ads? [emoji23]
LOL.... Then you would need something that filters filters, and so on, and so on.....

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #69

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Do they sell anything that filters ads?
No fooling.
I look at a craftsman toolbox and the next day it’s sharing the obituary page. I look at a kayak and it’s a flotilla of kayak ads. They can mine my data but they’ll never find that coffee can full of silver dimes I buried in the backyard by the clothesline pole. Whoops
Filters. Gimme two
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I played around with my Facebook profile and I am now 112 years old and feeling every bit my age.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #71

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
So are you getting ads for walk in tubs?
Old 03-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Very interested in pictures of your setup . Right now we have a Dolphin pump on a 3 gal bottom that we filled at home from the distiller . I cut the table at the door about in half water sits permanently there by the door . Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #73

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We have a few friends who have Berkey systems, and considered getting one. Until we discovered HydroViv.

https://www.hydroviv.com

We dropped one of their filters in here, along with a sediment filter

Everything that goes into the trailer is clean. We keep the system itself clean. We have one additional filter under the sink to a dedicated spigot, just for good measure, for all drinking and cooking water. And all our water tastes clean and fresh, no matter where we go.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:

Thanks for posting drjenk

Even though we live where we have wonderful water, we have a Berky water filter we use all the time at home for drinking water and coffee.

I’m wondering if you change anything in your setup when you travel?
Do you secure it? Do you travel rough roads? Do you fill the top of the Berky for filtering while you travel?

We love our Berky and almost bought one for travel.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:26 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Thanks for posting drjenk

Even though we live where we have wonderful water, we have a Berky water filter we use all the time at home for drinking water and coffee.

I’m wondering if the picture of you change the Berky set-up travel? Do you secure it? Do you travel rough roads? Do you fill the top of the Berky for filtering while you travel?

We love our Berky and almost bought one for travel.

Larry

It stores under the step for travel.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:40 AM   #76

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
We bring 200 year-old water from the aquifer that our water company pulls out of the ground. There's talk of our town selling out the local water provider in favor of one that pulls from the Tennessee River. Yum? Of course the good water still runs through some pipes to get to us, so it is filtered at home. We always take about 20 pounds of local water with us, even though I've made the point that there's a Costco with nearly free bottled water within a days drive of everywhere in the U.S. We take 40 pounds of that, too. Good thing we have a diesel.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #77

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
My travel Berkey sits in the sink while I travel with a large bath sheet wrapped around it. Then I put it on the flip up table at the end of the bed (we got an extended cabinet so ETI put in the flip up counter/table). Fits great in both places.

I actually went by their headquarters yesterday. Heck if I know exactly where it was. I'm in the Dallas area (about half way in my 2 month long trip) and my friend was driving. Also saw one of their trucks driving around. I thought "Hey, I have one of their systems".

(I also drove by the Casita factory, but they were closed for the holiday weekend. Wonder who else's headquarters I'll drive by that's related to our trailers.)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #78

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Here are my recommendations:
Sanitize water system in camper using the directions in the owner's manual at the beginning of the season or anytime the camper sits for more than a month.

If using water from a source you can trust, drink from the tap.

If the campground is on it's own water and general campground maintenance is lacking, water pressure is low (less than 20psi) or pressure varies wildly. I would not trust this source of water. Fill some jugs from your tank and put in the fridge for drinking and cooking.

If using water you are not sure about or your camper is going to sit for a week or two...add a small amount(1/8 - 1/2 teaspoon) of household bleach(no scents, additives or thickeners) and fill the tank. Drink from the tap.... [rest of quote not included]
Thanks for the practical advice!

Quote:
It turns out that the travel version barely fits in the corner at the top of the sink. It does intersect with the raised corner of the sink, but I use 2 rubber washers (the ones that came with the berkey system to prime the filters, I have 2 of them), to prop up the base, and it turns out they are just the right width to make it level. And an added bonus, the extendable kitchen sink faucet does just barely reach over the top, so it is easy refilling.

I think that the corner of my sink should be able to accommodate my travel Berkey, as well, and using the rubber washers to balance it out - brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
My travel Berkey sits in the sink while I travel with a large bath sheet wrapped around it. Then I put it on the flip up table at the end of the bed (we got an extended cabinet so ETI put in the flip up counter/table). Fits great in both places.

I'm so relieved to have found your response - and that of Drjenk - as my newest Berkey (travel size) just arrived yesterday! I left my Big Berkey in NC with my sister when I sold my house and have since been drinking from the Berkey I gave my daughter a few years back. I pick up my 17B in October but wasn't sure exactly where I'd be able to leave my Travel Berkey for best access or where I would store it when traveling, as one must protect the filters. Your sink idea will save me lots of time and aggravation!

Though my 17B is certainly smaller than either of yours, I now feel certain that it can all be managed nicely.

Thanks to ALL who participated in the discussion, as Celiac disease has compromised my immune system, and you provided the education I needed to make sure that I have everything covered!
🦋 🦋🦋

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:11 PM   #79

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
We LOVE ours. Use it in our home kitchen.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:14 AM   #80

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We have our travel Berkey set up the same way except with the spigot over the sink. I also attached a nylon strap to the wall. It clips around the Berkey just in case it gets bumped.

We break down the Berkey and store it in a cabinet for travel. Our dealer advised us to remove the filters and store them in zip loc bags for travel. Apparently one of his customers had a filter snap off at the neck after some rough travel. Replacement filters are expensive.
Mswan is offline   Reply With Quote