Topping up the battery - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Topping up the battery

Topped up the batteries yesterday on my 17' B class. The exterior battery was low on water but easy to access. The interior battery is located under the permanent bed in the back of the trailer. Because it's inside, it's in a sealed battery box. 10 screws and nuts hold the battery box lid in a sealed position. What a hassle it is to access the screws. (You would think a hinge system would/could be used.) I guess a good mod would be an access panel on the exterior of the trailer on the battery side. A sliding battery box tray, so the battery could slide outside the trailer for service, would also help.

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I guess that is why later 17' models have the dual 6ers on the back bumper option.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Topped up the batteries yesterday on my 17' B class. The exterior battery was low on water but easy to access. The interior battery is located under the permanent bed in the back of the trailer. Because it's inside, it's in a sealed battery box. 10 screws and nuts hold the battery box lid in a sealed position. What a hassle it is to access the screws. (You would think a hinge system would/could be used.) I guess a good mod would be an access panel on the exterior of the trailer on the battery side. A sliding battery box tray, so the battery could slide outside the trailer for service, would also help.
I recently installed the pro fill system on my trailer. Worth every penny:
https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...atering+system
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
I'd recommend a couple of potato bag clips to hold down the top............
Old 06-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
I'd recommend a couple of potato bag clips to hold down the top............
How so?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Because it's inside, it's in a sealed battery box. 10 screws and nuts hold the battery box lid in a sealed position. What a hassle it is to access the screws.
I wonder if a battery box strap would work? Like the one in this picture. You could cinch it down tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb-strap.JPG (20.1 KB, 10 views)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Topped up the batteries yesterday on my 17' B...
The interior battery is located under the permanent bed in the back of the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I guess that is why later 17' models have the dual 6ers on the back bumper option.
I didn't realize that Escape ever put a battery in the interior of a 17', even the second one with a dual battery option. It seems really unlike Escape to put two batteries of a dual set in different locations. Was this a factory installation, or an owner modification?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
The interior battery is located under the permanent bed in the back of the trailer. Because it's inside, it's in a sealed battery box. 10 screws and nuts hold the battery box lid in a sealed position. What a hassle it is to access the screws. (You would think a hinge system would/could be used.)
A hinged top would be nicer, but much harder to seal effectively - the top would need to be very rigid. If those nuts are loose, an improvement would be to replace them with insert nuts (T-nuts or rivet nuts, depending on material and thickness of the flange of the box that the bolts go through), so removing and replacing the lid would be involve only the 10 screws, with no need to use a wrench to hold nuts.

Automotive air filter housings often use multiple spring clips around the lid; for at least some of the nut-and-screw positions clips could work and would be much more convenient.

Quote:
I guess a good mod would be an access panel on the exterior of the trailer on the battery side. A sliding battery box tray, so the battery could slide outside the trailer for service, would also help.
I agree - I have this setup in a trailer and it is much better than the "buried" batteries in my motorhome. An issue might be height: the height of the batteries with wiring on top plus the height of the slide needs to fit through the hatch, and fit under the dinette set or bed platform.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I wonder if a battery box strap would work? Like the one in this picture. You could cinch it down tight.
If ten screws are needed to get a good seal, then presumably five straps would be needed, spread along the length of the box or even running both ways across the top.

In their normal application, those straps don't clamp a lid well enough to seal anything - they just keep the lid from falling off.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for 4th Maiden Voyage
Quote:
I'd think this would be the perfect application for a sealed battery.

Tom