Waxing Shortcut? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Waxing Shortcut?

It's time again for the semi-annual "Waxing of the Trailer" - ugh - and in looking for a shortcut, I'm wondering about maybe just leaving the wax residue on the roof, i.e. after a through washing, apply and rub in the wax as normal, but then just let the dry filmy wax residue stay just the way it is. As all you waxers know, the worst part is the roof, and this would significantly reduce the effort. Except for the odd - and observant - bird, no one would be the wiser, and my elderly arms and shoulders would appreciate not having to polish out the residue. Perhaps the only downside would be that when it rains, we might get waxy residue streaks running down the sides of the trailer, but these should rub out easily. Plus the extra wax coverage on the roof might afford additional protection? Any thoughts about this?

P.S. We hope all the Osoyoos folks are having a good gathering, and we wish we were there. We had scheduled a 5-week Utah for May and June, so didn't plan to attend, and then a shingles attack descended upon our house and we sadly had to abort the whole deal.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
I have nothing to base this on but I would worry that the extra wax could actually trap grit and road grime. Making it harder to clean without scratching the next time you wash it.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
For what it’s worth we used Simoniz Wash and Wax on the roof, then we applied Turtle Wax spray on wax everywhere we could reach from the ladder. It goes on easily and polishes up without a lot of elbow grease. We did our 5.0 top to bottom in 2 hours. We’ve had good luck with the spray on wax on the car and truck so thought it could work on the trailer too.

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
BTS (Bow to Stern) doesn't take significant polishing. On the roof I give it a quick swipe. On the sides I give it a little harder wipe with a microfiber cloth. It never really shines so polishing is not a big deal. So far it seems to keep the UV deteriation away.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
BTS (Bow to Stern) doesn't take significant polishing. On the roof I give it a quick swipe. On the sides I give it a little harder wipe with a microfiber cloth. It never really shines so polishing is not a big deal. So far it seems to keep the UV deteriation away.
BTS is what I'm going to use on the roof of Ten Forward. I can't reach a lot of the roof. But I can spray it! Then put a cloth around a mop and swipe at it the best I can.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Best shortcut is to get someone else to do it for you!!
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote