Winterizing without a Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Winterizing without a Cover

Decided to winterize without a cover in the Pacific Northwest this first year of ownership to see how it goes. Put a good coat of Scotchguard Marine Fiberglass wax on the body; bought a cover for the A/C to keep fir needles out; used magnetic sheets inside of the panel of the water heater to keep critters out; used the Valterra city water pump to fill pipes with RV antifreeze (this was super simple and fast!); cut a piece of waterproof tarp and installed 4 grommets and used the 4 outside screws on the upper vent of the fridge to keep debris out (picture below) and found PVC covers from Protect Your RV Awning! | Awning Pro-Tech | awningpro-tech.com to cover the awning (it only took 2) pictures below. In addition, I removed the propane tank and the spare tire and placed Eva-Dry dehumidifiers inside.

I couldn't find a cover I liked for the 15 and thought we would take the simple, less expensive approach first. Really interested to see how the Awning Tech covers keep moisture and mildew off of the rolled up awning. Will let the group know in 5 months.

First picture is of the cover for the fridge vent and second is of the PVC snap on covers over the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2306.jpg   IMG_2307.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
check out this thread, you may save some $$
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Weather covers for retracted awnings
I like your vent covers, any detailed pictures? A/c cover model info also, thanx.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #3

Thanks Jim,
I actually tried something like that first for the awning. Wanted more coverage and only needed two and they can be left on for traveling. They do a nice job of going almost all the way around and are VERY snug fitting. The way to buy from them is go together with a couple of other people and buy a 20 foot kit and share at a gathering or with anyone else who has our type of awning. Bought an ADCO A/C cover for $16 size 16 to fit a DuoTherm Penguin I and II. It covers the shroud and little below but does not go down to the roof. That might be ok so it isn't sitting in water etc. It cinches under the white shroud. Hey for $16 it is worth a try to keep the stuff out. Will take some pictures of the magnetic stuff I put in the HW vent and a close up of my tarp cover over the top fridge vent and will post them. Nothing much to either but my explanation might not have been clear. Will post them later.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #4

Jim, here are additional pictures. Pictures of the ADCO A/C cover, a closer picture of my tarp with 4 holes using the 4 corner screws of the vent to attach it, and an inside picture of the H/W cover with old, magnetic sign material covering the openings. Let me know if there are additional questions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2308.jpg   IMG_2309.jpg   IMG_2310.jpg   IMG_2313.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"
Winterizing without a cover :(

Techfan - brilliant on your part. I am in Western Wa also and did not fare so well.
I had a bad injury last fall and could not build an appropriate cover for my 15.
Now I am left with mildew on the outside. Argh - don't yell at me cuz I am already kicking myself enough . Is there any kind of cleaning product that I can use without damaging the fiberglass? So far I am working with a 3 M scrubby sponze but I am worried that it may scratch the FB. Any ideas for this gal who learned a good lesson and will do something different next fall.

I have seen on other sites that soft abrasives will work. One person suggested TSP. I am worried about damaging the fiberglass.
I am asking my trustee Escapees if they can help me out with suggestions.

I thought this would be a 2 hour clean up job. Glad I started early in the day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- trying to not embarrass the Escape community with a dirty trailer on first road trip......

thanks All

- Jane
angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Try 30 Second Outdoor Cleaner. I've used it on my Scamp when it was outside for the winter, turning green, black and red from moss, mildew and mold. Worked quickly!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Read the instructions for 30 Seconds.
Needs to be rinsed thoroughly, as does any foliage that you get it on.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"
Thank you. I did pretty well with 4 hours of elbow grease and fingernails.
I will try 30 seconds for the rest.
Donna - are you sure that it does not hurt the fiberglass or it's gel coat?

thanks again!

- Jane
angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote